Asus H97 plus CMOS error

Maverickjoe

Right off the assembly line
I'm facing a problem with my Asus h97 plus mobo, it gives a msg on boot to reset CMOS default values, press F1 to enter setup. This msg is presented on every boot I have to go in setup restart then all is normal, but the time stamp is also abnormal. I checked the mobo manual and did following steps.
1. Cleared RTC ram by resetting jumpers.
2, Replaced a new CMOS battery.
Still, the problem persists, what could have gone wrong?

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Some things to try out

1. Refresh BIOS
2. Update BIOS to latest version

Above procedure must be done with care & patience. Hope you have UPS/Inverter. Any instance of power failure during BIOS update may render your board useless unless it has crash free BIOS or Dual BIOS feature.

3. Using App called hwinfo (Windows) check the VBAT is it around 3V or much less?
4. Use a quality CMOS Battery like Sony
5. Push the battery bit hard into the socket
6. Check if BIOS Shadow or Cache is enabled and disable such option if present
7. Reseat the Motherboard & CPU
8. Use fail safe defaults option in BIOS and check if the issue persists.

madhu

Broken In
I replaced battery with Duracell
Updated bios to latest version last year.

What OS are you using ? Linux or Windows ?

Could be also due to dust/corrosion, remove the battery clean the battery contact points on the MB with IP & once dried out insert the battery, switch on the device, set the default value and reboot and check !!!

OP
M

Maverickjoe

I'm using windows 10 64bit edition. I did all the steps, but when i checked the bios details on startup of the error I was shocked it showed 3 drives which are correct, secondly 2 keyboards it is showing only one wireless keyboard I have connected and I have one single USB hub it shows 3 hubs and lastly one wireless mouse connected it shows 2 mice, now how is that error from a bios to detect. I posted the screenshot for reference.

Attachments

• IMG20180609183915.jpg
    IMG20180609183915.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 215

madhu

Broken In
I'm using windows 10 64bit edition. I did all the steps, but when i checked the bios details on startup of the error I was shocked it showed 3 drives which are correct, secondly 2 keyboards it is showing only one wireless keyboard I have connected and I have one single USB hub it shows 3 hubs and lastly one wireless mouse connected it shows 2 mice, now how is that error from a bios to detect. I posted the screenshot for reference.

In order to resolve your first CMOS issue, remove the hub and try to boot with usb keyboard and usb mouse instead of wireless kit !!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've a feeling your Asus motherboard is on the verge of slowly getting into non working condition.

OP
M

Maverickjoe

I have the same feeling my whole system is tearing apart. I'm facing a new challenge, the system boots and shuts down on its own in seconds the CPU fan stops then the PSU fan, the mobo light is glowing but no activity of my Seasonic 600w PSU, I have to continuously press the power button now it does not start. Is there a problem with my Asus mobo or PSU? I tried connecting a 450w local PSU to check and it also gave up, is my mobo dying or something is shorting? I tried removing all the cables and installed one by one but the PSU refuses to start, something very bad with my Asus mobo it seems. What could go wrong with its getting on my nerves.

OP
M

Maverickjoe

I Just now done a self-test on my Seasonic 600w paperclip test and the PSU fan is working. So I guess PSU is ruled out, now if its the mobo issue how do i check?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the same feeling my whole system is tearing apart. I'm facing a new challenge, the system boots and shuts down on its own in seconds the CPU fan stops then the PSU fan, the mobo light is glowing but no activity of my Seasonic 600w PSU, I have to continuously press the power button now it does not start. Is there a problem with my Asus mobo or PSU? I tried connecting a 450w local PSU to check and it also gave up, is my mobo dying or something is shorting? I tried removing all the cables and installed one by one but the PSU refuses to start, something very bad with my Asus mobo it seems. What could go wrong with its getting on my nerves.

Since you have tried with a local PSU and the same issues are showing it's must be the motherboard which is acting up.

If possible test the motherboard with only Ram, CPu, PSU, and display attached.

Top Bottom