ASUS eeepc 1000H

Status
Not open for further replies.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Hi everyone

I finally decided to write a review on the ASUS eeepc 1000 H which I purchased three weeks back.

It a very good option for those looking for affordabilty and portability, something I carry in my bag with ease, while driving my motorcycle. Very inconspicuous and does not attract much attention when you walk around with it in your hand.

Good keyboard and touchpad
Good display and function keys

Comes with a power adapter, recovery DVD, cloth to clean the screen and laptop, soft case, no travel bag

160 GB hard disk and 1 GB RAM, onboard bluetooth, wlan, lan, mic in, line out, usb connectors, VGA out, card reader

Negative points
- body and display is a fingerprint magnet. VERY DIFFICULT TO KEEP CLEAN.
- had to uninstall some OEM trash
- bad speakers, too soft even on full volume in Windows and Linux

Pre-installed OS: WinXP HOME

Price: Rs. 28500.00

Installed OS (by me): Ubuntu 8.10
Almost everything works out of the box.

What doesn't work in Ubuntu 8.10

ralink wireless card - driver package (deb) available from here. Direct download from me here.

Hotkeys - a script is provided to fix this in the references link below, but I did not want to try and mess the system. Besides, it's for 8.04. Pageup Pagedown Home and End hotkeys work out of the box, so does brightness adjustment F5/F6

References:
*help.ubuntu.com/community/EeePC/Fixes

Warning:
When you try to boot the eeepc from a USB drive, make sure you remove the SD card dummy from the card reader. If you do not do this the bios fails to detect the USB drive. It took me one hour to figure this out !

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Cost? And did you consider any other options? Any pros & cons over potential competitors?

OP
NucleusKore

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Added a note on the speakers^
I am only using it for preparing my classes, accessing the internet when there's no power at home, accessing the internet in college.

OP
NucleusKore

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Update:

I installed Ubuntu eee 8.0.4.1 on my ASUS eeepc 1000 H.

Everything works out of the box except wireless.

As above, ralink wireless card - driver package (deb) available from here. Direct download from me here

Warning:
When you try to boot the eeepc from a USB drive, make sure you remove the SD card dummy from the card reader. If you do not do this the bios fails to detect the USB drive. It took me one hour to figure this out !

A Bug?
After I installed the special distro from a bootable pendrive I had hell on earth trying to get my eee Ubuntu to mount my pendrive with data on it. It kept saying that I do not have rights. Finally traced the problem to the /etc/fstab
Looks like a bug
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/sda6
UUID=33e720ba-5c7d-4837-82b5-dec39aaac55d / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /dev/sda7
UUID=7ad0cca8-37ed-47bd-9c9e-606dccd44b70 /home ext3 relatime 0 2
# /dev/sda1
UUID=30001C24001BEF98 /windoze/c ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
# /dev/sda5
UUID=cd8b4a23-b6d2-4f92-bbb3-4cf5526e1b07 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See the last line !

Open a terminal, type

sudo gedit /etc/fstab

Just uncomment it by placing a # sign before /dev/sdb1 and click save.

You're done !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom