Assembled Laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
i think it is difficult bcoz the compnents r not available freely in the market like desktop components r...i 4 1 have never heard of some1 retailing a centrino :p

tuxfan

Technomancer
Nemesis said:
have never heard of some1 retailing a centrino
That could be because there is hardly anyone assembling laptops. Its like the hen and the egg syndrome :)

But I know someone who was willing to assemble a laptop for me even 4 years back. So laptop assemblers are there, but very few. But if they increase in number, laptop prices will crash further. I am sure about it and waiting for the day ;) :D

indro

In the zone
IF the thing is more modular , i mean all parts are freely available , cabinets etc , with the TFT .I dont see any reason why you cAnnot .

OP
a_medico

a_medico

Chillum Baba
lets guess the prices then...

Centrino 1.7 Ghz

512 RAM

14 or 15 inch screen

40/60 GB HDD

mothrboard/sound/display card -inbuilt/external

all necessary ports

what shud be the price?

branded ones range from 50-75 K approx

Doc Holliday

Broken In
Well, it is possible. After all the big boys (IBM, Dell, and the rest) are doing just that -- they just get the parts from different manufacturers and assemble them. Now since there is not simply enough demand and availability (as Nemesis rightly pointed out), this is not being done by our local (un)friendly computerwala.

Secondly, it is not just simple arithmetic coming to estimating its cost (based on the components). Notebooks use components that are a little different from desktops (and much more expensive). For example, they would use mobile processors, or low-power consuming ones (Centrinos). Actually, some use the desktop processors as well -- and you can almost see the smoke coming out of them :lol: . Then you have the expensive SODIMM RAM for memory. Then the shock-proof HDDs (so that you can move about with your notebook turned on) that cost you the earth and still will go no faster than 5400 rpm!!! I wouldn't dare to think of that 7200 rpm HDD for 20K or thereabouts. Then that pretty-looking LCD screen at a price we would all like to be amnestic about.

Add it all and what do you get - an expensive toy or a portable computer, depending on the way you look at. In the end I guess you need to dig deep at your pockets to get you that bliss called "mobility."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom