ARP flood from for a printer

intricate

Broken In
hi

I can see on wireshark that I am getting on my LAN arp requests all the time:

338 158.416690 AsustekC_05:3d:97 Broadcast ARP 42 Who has 192.168.1.26? Tell 192.168.1.20

It is releated to my HP printer. My computer (...1.20) running win7 sends this arp packet trying to discover MAC address of my printer. My computer stops sending this ARP requests while printer is ON. But for most of the time it is off and the ARP flood keeps coming. ...1.26 is the printer's IP address.

How to stop this flood in some decent way? Maybe some settings in a printer's driver. Any how is it normal to flood with so many arp request on the LAN?

OP
I

intricate

Broken In
I disabled snmp in the printer's driver; turned off network discovery, but the problem still persistes. Any ideas out there to solve it?

Hrishi

It's probably some service running on the PC for printer online service... Something like this.

On a side note, why can't you simply assign a static IP address to the Printer and add an ARP entry into the PC for this IP ?
As long as the PC has a static arp entry, it shouldn't ideally do the frequent probing and flooding with ARP.

Apparently, There are several reasons behind this flood, so instead of diagnosing it which will require time and effort... Just go with what I suggested and see if it cuts the storm.

Note : When your printer is on, it keeps sending gratuitous ARP responses on the network at regular intervals just like most networking devices. PC receives it and stores it in its ARP cache, and thus it doesn't need to send broadcast.
When the printer is offline, and the PC is running some sort of service trying to reach the printer's last known IP on LAN.... It never receives ARP responses from the printer and hence it keeps flooding forever to know the MAC of printer.

Once you enter static ARP entry into the PC, it will then try to talk to the Printer (offline) on TCP/UDP likely which in turn will reveal the Service/Port on which its trying to communicate. Use Wireshark and it will reveal what service on the PC is exactly the root cause of this.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
I

intricate

Broken In
Yes, thank you Hrihi. You were right, problem was solved by:
netsh interface ipv4 add neighbors "Local Area Connection" ADDRS-IP -ADDR-MAC

After that it is in ARP list.

Hrishi

Yes, thank you Hrihi. You were right, problem was solved by:
netsh interface ipv4 add neighbors "Local Area Connection" ADDRS-IP -ADDR-MAC

After that it is in ARP list.
:) good. Now you can block the service in case you want.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom