Apps to transfer files between computer & Android phone wirelessly

senpaidev

Right off the assembly line
KDE Connect is a much better solution than any of these apps. On android 12 it does have issues with accessing the entire storage and can only access specific folders, but this is mainly due to limitations put on by Google and KDE Connect doesn't seem to have picked up on the newer storage access mechanism yet. Besides file transfer, you can control your mouse / keyboard on either devices, media playback on either, mirror notifications, control presentations and as mentioned earlier even execute custom scripts. If you have a Linux based machine, it pairs things into the entire ecosystem even well. It is a great privacy focused alternative to my phone app on Windows 10. It can also do stuff like pause media playback if you are receiving a call, send SMS, reply to notifications and messages that support it, show battery level and a ton more. If you are using a KDE based distro, it ties in really well into the entire ecosystem. With windows 10 as well, it has full feature parity now I think.

1653624418857.png

1653624487348.png

1653624582786.png
1653624702417.png

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
How slow compared to FTP/SFTP?
KDE connect transfer below max speed.

Laptop connected with Redmi Note 5 Pro hotspot.

1. Below screenshot with KDE connect. Speed never reaches to maximum also it fluctuates. (Fluctuation may be because mobile hotspot) (Not tested on wifi router)
KDE connect can work without internet and only with hotspot.
Speed around : 7 MBps
*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220529/0f4a7162ce8e5311c7355758d15108db.jpg

2. Below screenshot with resilio sync. Speed is constant and maximum. Speed fluctuation is there but less speed fluctuations. (Fluctuation may be because mobile hotspot)
(There is no fluctuation when connected to wifi router on resilio sync.)
Resilio sync requires internet. But not uses internet while transferring and receiving files folders.
Speed around : 7.9 MBps
*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220529/67b33b3bc1fdcf384d486ebd4a7c43b7.jpg

Last edited:

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I currently use Solid Explorer app to transfer data between android smartphone and PC. I created a local user in PC and if I need to transfer some file to phone then I just give access to this local user. In Solid Explorer app, I login to PC through this local user credentials and able to access the file. I get decent speed in file transfer. You can try this once.

Last edited:

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
I currently use Solid Explorer app to transfer data between android smartphone and PC. I created a local user in PC and if I need to transfer some file to phone then I just give access to this local user. In Solid Explorer app, I login to PC through this local user credentials and able to access the file. I get decent speed in file transfer. You can try this once.
I use LAN, FTP and SFTP transfer in mixplorer app.

Nerevarine

Incarnate

I do the exact same but with NAS. Solid explorer is the go to file explorer app

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
What speeds do you get there? Are you not satisfied with those speeds?
Speeds vary as mixplorer always provides updates.
4-5 MBps speed 150mpbs router.
Same speed for mobile hotspot.
I get same speed with fx file explorer. I tried solid explore too.
For me, USB cable and resilio sync app provides best speed.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Anyone tried

AnLink
*anl.ink/

Looks similar to
*github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy
*github.com/srevinsaju/guiscrcpy
*github.com/Frontesque/scrcpy-plus
*github.com/Tomotoes/scrcpy-gui

kunnusingh

Journeyman
I am using a simple WiFi FTP Server app. You can connect to your phone via WiFi.

To get started, install WiFi FTP Server (free) on your Android mobile. Make changes to the username in the settings menu, and then start the FTP server. Now, install any FTP client software, such as Filezilla Client, on your computer.

In the FTP client, enter your WiFi host IP, username, password, and then click on "connect." Now, you can transfer files between your mobile and PC. After you have finished transferring files, remember to turn off the WiFi FTP server.

Available methods:
  • Wi-Fi Direct.
  • Wi-Fi FTP Server.
  • Bluetooth (Use a Bluetooth dongle or the built-in Bluetooth on your computer).
  • USB Cable.
  • NextCloud - Requires an internet connection and bandwidth. It's a self-hosted software. You can host it on a shared hosting server. You can also enable encryption. NextCloud is free but hosting it on a server cost some money however your files will be secure. You can transfer files from anywhere. Install it on your computer and mobile. It also have a chatting features. Means your family members can chat using NextCloud. It have lots of features.
  • Email your file as an attachment.

Top Bottom