Applying for BSNL Broadband (Dataone)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already have BSNL Landline phone. I want to apply for a new Dataone (BSNL Broadband) connection with HOME-500 plan. So I have few quaries regarding this please help me soon. I am very frustrated:confused::

(i) I want to purchase the modem outright. I came to know that prices of type-II & type-IV modems are same (Type-II has one USB port, one ethernet (LAN) port & one wireless port and Type-IV has one USB port, FOUR LAN ports (for multi-computer connectivity) & one wireless port. So why are they both priced at same? & which should I opt for? Although I don't need multi-PC-connectivity currently but I want to buy the modem with future-extending facility, So, I think, type-IV 'Best hai mere liye'. But I wanna know which is better type-II OR IV? (will type-IV cause problems in connectivity? Does it have lesser specifications than type-II? (I doubt coz they are priced at same:confused:). Which is best for me?

(ii) What is the current (latest) prices of these modems?

(iii) Can you tell me the company names & model numbers etc. with website links of these modems (type-I,II,III,IV blah blah What is this?) in details plz.

(iv) In the form's customer name field can I fill my name OR should I have to fill the name of the landline telephone holder (other family-member).

(V) How much will I have to pay-in-advance for HOME-500 plan? (I mean what is the lump-sum ammount with modem price to be paid before taking the connection.

(vi) If I want to setup my modem own my own than what will be the advance ammount?

(vii) How will I receive my user name and password? (Via post, via BSNL guys etc.)

(viii) What will be the billing cycle. My landline bill comes bimonthly (once in two months).

(ix) Can you please tell me procedure of connecting modem, splitter, phoneline etc. with graphics/photographs?

(x) How much days will be taken to activate my broadband line, I am in a small town.

(xi) What will my modem package contain?

EDIT:
(xii) What is the difference between Modems and Routers? What equipment does BSNL provide (Modem OR Router) & Which is better (Modem OR Router)?

Plz reply in details As soon as possible coz information on the official site is outdated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Plz reply in details As soon as possible coz information on the official site is outdated. Thanks in advance.

Sorry sir, but it is not...

So why are they both priced at same?

Oppss BSNL Internal Policy.. We take which ever we like.. But here is one technical info.. Type III comes with an optional Express card slot in which you can add one express card to make it Wifi enable...

Which is best for me?

Type I.. There is no other use of that modem apart from get your self connected to internet hence Type I is best for you..

(ii) What is the current (latest) prices of these modems?

Sorry to say, but why do you think the web site is out dated ?? check out *www.bsnl.co.in/service/dataone_tariff.htm it is updated as soon as BSNL makes any price change so what ever is written there is present price

(iii) Can you tell me the company names & model numbers etc. with website links of these modems (type-I,II,III,IV blah blah What is this?) in details plz.

BSNL !! you buy modems from BSNL.. If anything goes wrong, its BSNL which gives us support so theoretically there is no need for us to know who makes them as even we do, it wont be any help as these setups (LAN i meant) needs no driver or maintenance nothing, they are just plug and play..

But at present BSNL is providing modems / routers from Nokia Siemens :)

(iv) In the form's customer name field can I fill my name OR should I have to fill the name of the landline telephone holder (other family-member).

The name and sign must me the person's who has the phone :)

(V) How much will I have to pay-in-advance for HOME-500 plan? (I mean what is the lump-sum ammount with modem price to be paid before taking the connection.

once again please refer here. *www.bsnl.co.in/service/dataone_tariff.htm for the installation charges... it changes time to time..

Usually here is the rate,

Modem Type I -> Rs. 1200/-
Installation charge -> Rs. 500/-
One month rental as security -> Rs. 500/-
Extra Wiring (optional) -> Rs. 250/-

Max of the time your local circle (mine is calcutta telephones) offer rebate and such, which can be seen in regional web sites, in my case *calcutta.bsnl.co.in

But all these charge would come in your 1st BB bill, you pay nothing in advance :lol:

(vi) If I want to setup my modem own my own than what will be the advance ammount?

Sorry sir, but there is nothing to setup in modem, all comes pre configuered and plug and play (unless you are an advance user with advance networking need).. All you do is wait for them to connect and then wait for your user ID password.. As soon as it comes you can simply dial an ADSL connection and surf the Internet..

(vii) How will I receive my user name and password? (Via post, via BSNL guys etc.)

Fastest mean is via SMS.. Usually it comes with 2 - 3 days after local BSNL guys have connected you and have found the setup working at local end via their test user ID and password..

But BSNL also sends by post after 2 / 3 weeks :)

If nothing, still dont worry, you can always go to local exchange to connect it manually, :) as usually local exchange calls you after few days to see if you have received the password or not..

So you receive both SMS and by post..

(viii) What will be the billing cycle. My landline bill comes bimonthly (once in two months).

If you dont mind, almost every simgle question of ours is given on BSNL web site :(

It will change.. New cycle would be 1st to 31st each month and bill will come every single month :)

(ix) Can you please tell me procedure of connecting modem, splitter, phoneline etc. with graphics/photographs?

as an end user, we dont need to know, as we are paying BSNL to do so.. BSNL guys will do this for you, you just surf the net :lol:

but for technical knowledge

BSNL have put up a nice flash presentation

*www.calcuttatelephones.com/dataoneinstall/menu.html

(x) How much days will be taken to activate my broadband line, I am in a small town.

Cant say.. Depends on few facts like availability of BSNL modems, wire (Armand cable) and last of all how corrupt your local line man is..

(xi) What will my modem package contain?

once again, we dont need to know as all we need is to surf the internet.. But still, usually the

Modem / router
Cables (Ethernet / USB)
Power adapter
Manual
One Guide CD

Thanks..

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
No offense rajivkumar, but almost all of your questions could be answered if you care to spend ten minutes in the nearest customer care centre. Kudos to choto for his patience though :)

pc_game_lover2004

~Beating Toughest Games~
BSNL sucks please i request you don't go for it...i was a regular user of BSNL broadband since Jan 2007 and beleive me it really is a pain and frustrattion to have a bsnl net

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
I got my user id and password on the day my broadband connection came. The engineers who came to install gave them to me. Of course I changed it later. My modem is given by BSNL. I am very satisfied with BSNL's broadband. Barring a few occassions, it works well. the only problem is when problems crops up, which is very rare. BSNL didn't charge me advance rental, installation charges. Just Rs.1200/- modem charge and pro-rata charge for broadband. I am their customer for the last one year and two months.

Important. Download in the free hours only after one month when you know that they have really allotted you home 500. Otherwise you may get astronomical bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom