Apple iPhone to exceed Windows Mobile by 2008?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
MS CEO Steve Ballmer had commented on the iPhone (Read it here). According to him, around 39 million iPhones will be sold, as opposed to Apple's guess of just 10 million. But here's a survey that shows....
Apple may surpass Windows Mobile marketshare by end of 2008

Apple may grab as much as 6 per cent of the US mobile phone market in the next year – giving it a slightly stronger footprint in the market than rival Microsoft, a report claims.

Researchers at Markitecture surveyed 1,300 mobile phone users across the US to reach its projected figures. It found that 77 per cent of those spoken with to be at least "slightly familiar" with the iPhone.

It also noted that Apple has achieved positive first impressions of the product, finding that the more a consumer knew about the device, the more favourable their impression of the iPhone actually was.

In fact, 83 per cent of those very familiar with the device had "an excellent or very good impression of the product".

These positive reactions translate into strong sales: 6 per cent of those surveyed described themselves as likely to buy an iPhone in the next year.

Cost and users being on a different network than Apple's chosen partner in the US, AT&T, were cited as hurdles to buying an iPhone.

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer recently attempted to create his own 'reality distortion field' when he slammed the iPhone last week.

"There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share," Ballmer said. "No chance. It's a $500 subsidized item. They may make a lot of money. But if you actually take a look at the 1.3 billion phones that get sold, I'd prefer to have our software in 60 per cent or 70 per cent or 80 per cent of them, than I would to have 2 per cent or 3 per cent, which is what Apple might get."

Microsoft holds just 5.6 per cent of the mobile phone market with its Windows Mobile software – but the Markitecture survey shows Apple could exceed that share within a year of the release of the iPhone.

Source

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
make that 10 million +1 ;)

and as far as yr article goes .. the ifone is more hardware than firmware whr as windows mobile is a firmware so comparing the 2 is unfair ...

OP
nepcker

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
mAV3 said:
make that 10 million +1 ;)

and as far as yr article goes .. the ifone is more hardware than firmware whr as windows mobile is a firmware so comparing the 2 is unfair ...
Your prediction's lower that Ballmer's. He predicts 39 million iPhones to be sold. Check out *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56651

But the iPhone's software (Mac OS X) is exclusive to it; so this doesn't become unfair.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
dude fan boyism is 1 thing but ur being unfair ... people are not gonna buy the iphnone for OS X ... they r gonna buy it for the features it provides now u want me to list them ...!

my prediction is 1 more than tht of apple ... coz me gonna buy it too

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Q. Apple iPhone to exceed Windows Mobile by 2008?
A. Absolutely no chance at all. Period.

@mAV3, sure it is not as feature loaded as the N95, but it sure as hell has a crapload of features. And really cool (and new) ones at that.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
iPhone is made for rich kids only. Those who are professional will buy Windows Mobile 6 based HTC PDAs

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
nepcker said:
MS CEO Steve Ballmer had commented on the iPhone (Read it here). According to him, around 39 million iPhones will be sold, as opposed to Apple's guess of just 10 million. But here's a survey that shows....
Apple may surpass Windows Mobile marketshare by end of 2008

39 million? This is the first that he said something in a polite manner. A real Ballmer would say "iphone? That's a piece of blah blah blah".

selling 39 million is an uphill task (could be impossible).

Take imac's: Due to the high pricing and closed model, it has very low share

Take ipods: Due to variety of models available (least being $79 dollars), apple is having unprecedented profits and 70% market share.

iPhone:

1) High price
2) closed model
3) locked to AT&T Cingular
4) lot of rumors floating around regarding low battery life
5) available only in the US
6) memory only upto 8GB, being ipod cum iphone.

With these in mind, selling 10 million phones is an uphill task.

It would be good if iphone has this

1) low end edition and high end edition (<$300 and <$500 respectively)
2) Java app support
3) worldwide release (atleast limited editions in other areas). Europe is very rich. Apple should have released there along with US
4) Harddrive for high-end and flash for low-end model.
5) User replaceable battery
6) (For Critics) A stylus
7) In-ear steero headset (like the one in SE phones) for low end edition
8) Bluetooth stereo headset for high end edition

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Wow, I had no idea Microsoft bought engadget too today :D.

Two third say "No thanks" to iPhone

eddie

El mooooo
gx_saurav said:
Wow, I had no idea Microsoft bought engadget too today :D.
Not that I am a big fan of iPhone but there are two things about that news.
1) It was reported by Macworld and engadget just reprinted it. (they even have a link to Macworld in there)
2) Survey claims that 6% people will actually buy the phone while Apple was trying to get 1%!!! Is that a dampener? I guess not...

OP
nepcker

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
ambandla said:
39 million? This is the first that he said something in a polite manner. A real Ballmer would say "iphone? That's a piece of blah blah blah".

selling 39 million is an uphill task (could be impossible).

Take imac's: Due to the high pricing and closed model, it has very low share

Take ipods: Due to variety of models available (least being $79 dollars), apple is having unprecedented profits and 70% market share.

iPhone:

1) High price
2) closed model
3) locked to AT&T Cingular
4) lot of rumors floating around regarding low battery life
5) available only in the US
6) memory only upto 8GB, being ipod cum iphone.

With these in mind, selling 10 million phones is an uphill task.

It would be good if iphone has this

1) low end edition and high end edition (<$300 and <$500 respectively)
2) Java app support
3) worldwide release (atleast limited editions in other areas). Europe is very rich. Apple should have released there along with US
4) Harddrive for high-end and flash for low-end model.
5) User replaceable battery
6) (For Critics) A stylus
7) In-ear steero headset (like the one in SE phones) for low end edition
Bluetooth stereo headset for high end edition
That's Steve Ballmer saying it, not me. Please check out *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56651 and see what he has said. If you don't believe that, then check out the sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom