Anybody tried Nvidia Purevideo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
goobimama said:
Well I've tried Purevideo for XP and it was nothing great. Just offers some enhancements like colour, and such. Basically, its good for Mpeg2 video only. Didn't notice any performance improvement, but then I was using CoreAVC at the time.

However, on Vista, Cyberlink has this Purevideo thing built in. So if I use Cyberlink's decoder with Media Player Classic, it uses my GPU to give me a performance improvement over CoreAVC. This is variable, as sometimes i get better performance with CoreAVC or sometimes with cyberlink.

The best for picture quality in my opinion is FFdshow, but to use that decoder for high definition on needs a high end CPU like the C2D E6700 or something. FFdshow I think is single threaded and is not GPU accelerated (neither is CoreAVC though).

Thank you. I just wanted to know whether it was worth buying.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
*www.nzone.com/object/nzone_pvhd_faq.html#Q6

i think its already clear in the above post wat this link says tho . .
but i thought i shud give it . .

OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
sagargv said:
*www.nzone.com/object/nzone_pvhd_faq.html#Q6

i think its already clear in the above post wat this link says tho . .
but i thought i shud give it . .

Thanks a lot. So now it is time for me to upgrade to the 8xxx series.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
u're welcome but do u want to upgrade for just that reason ? u say that u wont use pirated stuff so how do u intend to get HD movies . u'll have to use blu ray disc or HD DVD . to have either players ur budget shud be good enough , so wait till HD movies become established in the market and HD dvd/ blu ray disc player's price reduces and then buy a player and a high end rig ( any c2d will easily run HD movies without purevedio or avivo ) . and thinking of that consider buying hd 2400 or hd 2600 as they offer AVIVO HD . pros : its more hardware based ( not very sound in technical details but that toms article tells so ) con : bad driver support ..i read in a place that the card dint even come with the support CD , u HAVE to download drivers. . ..
All the same i feel u can post pone u're upgrade . But u are more experienced i guess , so i am sure watever decission u take will b the best ..

OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
sagargv said:
u're welcome but do u want to upgrade for just that reason ? u say that u wont use pirated stuff so how do u intend to get HD movies . u'll have to use blu ray disc or HD DVD . to have either players ur budget shud be good enough , so wait till HD movies become established in the market and HD dvd/ blu ray disc player's price reduces and then buy a player and a high end rig ( any c2d will easily run HD movies without purevedio or avivo ) . and thinking of that consider buying hd 2400 or hd 2600 as they offer AVIVO HD . pros : its more hardware based ( not very sound in technical details but that toms article tells so ) con : bad driver support ..i read in a place that the card dint even come with the support CD , u HAVE to download drivers. . ..
All the same i feel u can post pone u're upgrade . But u are more experienced i guess , so i am sure watever decission u take will b the best ..

I just wanted to know whether it will improve DVD movie playback and not high definition. In fact I had stated it in post no.8.
Regarding BR/HD, I am in the habit of buying anything, HW or SW, only after it has become popular and thereby cheaper.
From your own link, it is clear that I don't require Purevideo SW for the cards.

"Do I need the PureVideo Decoder to play movies on the GeForce 8600 and 8500?
No. NVIDIA’s video processing architecture no longer requires the PureVideo Decoder, just a compatible third-party software movie player.. The PureVideo HD technology is available through any player that uses the Micorsoft DXVA 2.0 interface, including the Vista Windows Media Player with built-in MPEG2 decoder."

Also in case of Nvidia, no special driver is needed and Force ware will do even for BR/HD as per the link.

u say that u wont use pirated stuff so how do u intend to get HD movies

I said "Nowadays prefer legal or free SW."

But u are more experienced i guess , so i am sure watever decission u take will b the best
No I tend to disagree. We are here to give and take. For eg., it was you who helped me have a better understanding. And thanks again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom