Anybody tried Nvidia Purevideo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
I would like to know whether any of you have tried Nvidia Purevideo and if so how much it improves the movie experience.
Also from where I can purchase it?

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
currently , drivers for that are running in vista only . i can try that . can u give me a link to a trailer of a hd vedio that can play in power dvd 7 . quick time doesnt seem to be optimized on it(it gave 80% cpu usage and barely 10-20fps) ..
have a look at this article if u havent seen it already .
*www.tomshardware.com/2007/06/08/avivo_vs_purevideo_hd/page10.html

BTW ,(regarding my 8600gt overheating prob) i got a new psu too ( my current psu was giving only 10A on 12volt , the new one gives 19A on 12 volt and a new fan too , but i dunno how to connect it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am waiting for some help frm my vendor and i'll get back after its been fixed.)

OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
sagargv said:
currently , drivers for that are running in vista only . i can try that . can u give me a link to a trailer of a hd vedio that can play in power dvd 7 . quick time doesnt seem to be optimized on it(it gave 80% cpu usage and barely 10-20fps) ..
have a look at this article if u havent seen it already .
*www.tomshardware.com/2007/06/08/avivo_vs_purevideo_hd/page10.html

BTW ,(regarding my 8600gt overheating prob) i got a new psu too ( my current psu was giving only 10A on 12volt , the new one gives 19A on 12 volt and a new fan too , but i dunno how to connect it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am waiting for some help frm my vendor and i'll get back after its been fixed.)

Thanks, but I had seen the article more than a month back.

Connecting PSU or fan?

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
could you give me a link to the trailer of some HD movie which i can use..

thanks . i put the psu .this is getting offtopic, i better pm u . but the sad thing is that temp is not reducing much . .pretty much the same thing , i'll put the fan and tell u..

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
There are two versions PureVideo and PureVideoHD .. Which version are you guys reffering to? Havent tried much but It works only with Windows Media Player. Correct em if im wrong.

OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
I was talking about Purevideo and not and not Purevideo HD.
Contrary to what Sagarv said, I think it is supportrd by XP since it was available for sale long before release of Vista.
@koolbluwz
It is a driver/patch which works with WMP/PowerDVD etc but only with Nvidia cards and enhances movie playing but not free.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
hmm . then i think the geforce 8 series gpu's offers harware enhancement only in vista. i'm sure i read something like that in that article from tomshardware..

OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
sagargv said:
hmm . then i think the geforce 8 series gpu's offers harware enhancement only in vista. i'm sure i read something like that in that article from tomshardware..

Yes, for the time being. But the article is about HD/BR only. And I was talking about DVD movies only, which are available to most of us.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
what is this now>>> first pay for hardware and then again pay for drivers :mad:
people hav started to openly loot now.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
i dont think we need to pay for drivers . we get drivers but we pay for softs that utilize this feature. then again , i may be mistaken because i came to this conclusion after reading that article which is abt HD dvd ad blu ray ..

Could you please tell me abt purevedio for just DVD's . .
thanks.

OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
sagargv said:
i dont think we need to pay for drivers . we get drivers but we pay for softs that utilize this feature. then again , i may be mistaken because i came to this conclusion after reading that article which is abt HD dvd ad blu ray ..

Could you please tell me abt purevedio for just DVD's . .
thanks.

You need additional software to use Purevideo like WMP or PowerDVD.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
no probs . i am not for legal only . so easy for me. infact i have power dvd 7. i'll get the latest later..
thanks anyway..

OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
sagargv said:
no probs . i am not for legal only . so easy for me. infact i have power dvd 7. i'll get the latest later..
thanks anyway..

Myself still using PDVD 5. Nowadays prefer legal or free SW.

goobimama

 Macboy
Well I've tried Purevideo for XP and it was nothing great. Just offers some enhancements like colour, and such. Basically, its good for Mpeg2 video only. Didn't notice any performance improvement, but then I was using CoreAVC at the time.

However, on Vista, Cyberlink has this Purevideo thing built in. So if I use Cyberlink's decoder with Media Player Classic, it uses my GPU to give me a performance improvement over CoreAVC. This is variable, as sometimes i get better performance with CoreAVC or sometimes with cyberlink.

The best for picture quality in my opinion is FFdshow, but to use that decoder for high definition on needs a high end CPU like the C2D E6700 or something. FFdshow I think is single threaded and is not GPU accelerated (neither is CoreAVC though).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom