Any Small and lite UPS for desktop?

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Can have really less power backup, important thing is UPS lite and small..
This is for desktop (AC output)

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Curious why can't it be small/lite ?
If I remember correctly battery is pretty small considering the size of the whole UPS , don't remember the weight though..

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am not familiar with internals of UPS but I am sure that whatever size lead acid battery is used inside a 600VA ups is not as "lite & small" as you think.

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
yeah searched a bit more and found the same. UPS use lead battery which is big and heavy. this is different from say mobile batteries which are lithion-ion. Reason seems to have to do something with AC / DC current. Mobile batteries receive, store and transmit DC current and hence(?) can be light. UPS on the other hand converts AC -> DC -> AC -> Computer Power Supply Unit (PSU) and hence has to have a bigger battery.

There is a simple solution though, that would be perfect for a variety of situations and places such as India. A PSU with built in battery !
Came across some units on the net.. so its definitely possible. But its not a 'thing' unfortunately..

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah searched a bit more and found the same. UPS use lead battery which is big and heavy. this is different from say mobile batteries which are lithion-ion. Reason seems to have to do something with AC / DC current. Mobile batteries receive, store and transmit DC current and hence(?) can be light. UPS on the other hand converts AC -> DC -> AC -> Computer Power Supply Unit (PSU) and hence has to have a bigger battery.

There is a simple solution though, that would be perfect for a variety of situations and places such as India. A PSU with built in battery !
Came across some units on the net.. so its definitely possible. But its not a 'thing' unfortunately..

post some links to that though I doubt about it's capability to hold the power for a pc needs even the one with very basic desktop config.

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
The purpose is to just turn off (Hibernate) the PC gracefully. So that a person doesn't lose progress on work/game. can be real lean. It would not be used even for monitor. Simply its to deal when electricity goes.
Also people on PC forums vastly overestimate power requirements of even pretty sweet desktops. Consider how its not even possible to get a decent 300W power supply when all desktops with GPU and many with GPU (that don't require extra pci-e) would run just fine. Mine does.

Mine does without a sweat. i3 3220 , nvidia 750 GTX, 8GB, 1 SSD, 2 HDD, 1 external SSD, 2 usb wireless devices, bluetooth adapter, and some pen drives. On gaming load this takes 100W on wall.

Anyways, product: eNSP3-450P-S20-H1V - ATX Power Supply with UPS Function - doesn't seem retail.. A forum discussion: computer power supply with built in battery backup

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
The purpose is to just turn off (Hibernate) the PC gracefully. So that a person just lose progress on work/game. So it can be real lean. It would not be used even for monitor. Simply speaking its to deal when electricity goes.
Also people on PC forums vastly overestimate power requirements of even pretty sweet desktops. Consider how its not even possible to get a decent 300W power supply when all desktops with GPU and many with GPU (that don't require extra pci-e) would run just fine. Mine does.

Mine does without a sweat. i3 3220 , nvidia 750 GTX, 8GB, 1 SSD, 2 HDD, 1 external SSD, 2 usb wireless devices, bluetooth adapter, and some pen drives. On gaming load this takes 100W on wall.

Anyways, product: eNSP3-450P-S20-H1V - ATX Power Supply with UPS Function - doesn't seem retail.. A forum discussion: computer power supply with built in battery backup

nice observation and will do more research on this UPS+PSU thing. Thanks for the link.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
The purpose is to just turn off (Hibernate) the PC gracefully. So that a person just lose progress on work/game. So it can be real lean. It would not be used even for monitor. Simply speaking its to deal when electricity goes.

This is prevalent here as well.

Top Bottom