Any other option other than Y50 - Please Suggest

A.Asesh

Broken In
Heyy everyone..
Actually I firstly waited for y50,so that i can buy it in diwali.But as far as what i have heard of screen performance,people say you cant watch movies on it,some even complaint about the keys getting registered when you type.
I am a casual gamer ,just wanted to get this power house cause of overall looks and performance not just because of games.
I wont be upgrading anything in the laptop cause of strict budget.
So I guess there's no other option as y510p is not available anywhere now.

Sometimes I even think of going for Macbook air.The Basic 13 inch model is being offered for around 55k.Atleast i will be confident about the screen clarity and keyboard feedback (though i wont get a fhd).

Does hp envy series has a model that can compete with this ?
Please suggest- Should i go for y50 only? Except the above problems ,the performance is awesome for that machine.
Or should I wait for other model launch in diwali? :|

My budget is around 80k max. and importing any other model from abroad will not be a feasible option i guess.

rishi_sethi

Journeyman
Heyy everyone..
Actually I firstly waited for y50,so that i can buy it in diwali.But as far as what i have heard of screen performance,people say you cant watch movies on it,some even complaint about the keys getting registered when you type.
I am a casual gamer ,just wanted to get this power house cause of overall looks and performance not just because of games.
I wont be upgrading anything in the laptop cause of strict budget.
So I guess there's no other option as y510p is not available anywhere now.

Sometimes I even think of going for Macbook air.The Basic 13 inch model is being offered for around 55k.Atleast i will be confident about the screen clarity and keyboard feedback (though i wont get a fhd).

Does hp envy series has a model that can compete with this ?
Please suggest- Should i go for y50 only? Except the above problems ,the performance is awesome for that machine.
Or should I wait for other model launch in diwali? :|

My budget is around 80k max. and importing any other model from abroad will not be a feasible option i guess.

I own a y50. Go ahead with it. The screen after calibration is a pretty nice screen. Much better than dell and hp at same rate. Viewing angles are very bad though, but not much of a concern if you use it for personal use only. 2 people cannot watch a movie on it sitting side by side.

udaylunawat

In the zone
I own a y50. Go ahead with it. The screen after calibration is a pretty nice screen. Much better than dell and hp at same rate. Viewing angles are very bad though, but not much of a concern if you use it for personal use only. 2 people cannot watch a movie on it sitting side by side.
What abt the z50 rishi ?? Can two people watch movies together on it ??

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
What about Dell Inspiron 7000 series? It has an IPS FHD panel with great viewing angles. GPU is underpowered for the price though.Dell is offering 2 yrs worth warranty and gift vouchers worth 3K with it too

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
No comparision... there is a huge price difference

Z50 review *www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Z50-70-59427656-Notebook-Review.124524.0.html skip to the display part.... in short poor brightness, poor contrast, poor viewing angles, poor color calibration
Inspiron 7000 Review Dell Inspiron 15-7537 Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

rishi_sethi

Journeyman
Z50 ka bhi screen is okayish. At stores without the calibration looked the same as Y50's.
Dell one, I haven't seen it. I hate the brand.

OP
A

A.Asesh

Broken In
Z50 i7 model has a FHD display and a 4gb 840m nvidia card.. price around 61k but the processor is 4510u which wont be able to utilise the 4gb of the graphics card.And apart from that 840m vs 860m(in y50) there is a huge difference in graphics performance.

anyways people who own this model can suggest if I am wrong.

udaylunawat

In the zone
No comparision... there is a huge price difference

Z50 review Lenovo IdeaPad Z50-70 (59427656) Notebook Review - NotebookCheck.net Reviews skip to the display part.... in short poor brightness, poor contrast, poor viewing angles, poor color calibration
Inspiron 7000 Review Dell Inspiron 15-7537 Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews
Seems way too bad...... Then why are you guys recommending it in place of z510 ?? What about dell and hp laptops under 60k range ?? Are their displays same as the z50 ??

udaylunawat

In the zone
Z50 ka bhi screen is okayish. At stores without the calibration looked the same as Y50's.
Dell one, I haven't seen it. I hate the brand.
I am a newbie. Just asking if I am correct. We can calibrate color reproduction, is there any way we can improve viewing angles ?? Some dell and hp laptops in 65k range have fhd displays. Are they better than z50's display ??

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
I own a dell 5547. It also has IPS FHD and is pretty good. I do not game except for CS:S so gfx card isn't much of an issue (R7-260)

The 7000 series has full brushed aluminium body (back only on 5000), better gfx card and better battery life

Edit 1: Personally haven't seen the display on z50 so my knowledge is based on reviews only

Edit 2: You can calibrate colours to an extent but not brightness, contrast and viewing angles

OP
A

A.Asesh

Broken In
I will have the laptop for personal use only... So if after calibration the display is good for single handed use.. Y50 is a better option then.I don't have a problem with wide viewing angle cause that I won't be dealing with.. The problem will only arise if the display is blurred or text is difficult to read ?

rhyansy

MSI Gaming Pan India Sale
Why not try for MSI's entry gaming models in GP60? Better yet, GE60 will be a better option if you can up your budget a bit.

Here's some info in the forum. If you need any help, MSI rep here is always available.
*www.digit.in/forum/laptops-netbooks/186721-msi-ge60-gp60-unofficial-announcement.html

OP
A

A.Asesh

Broken In
I appreciate your advice bro.. but i think y50 is more on VFM side. One more odd reason being MSI is 'just' for gamers like the alienware.plus the ASS is not as good as the mainstream brands.Most probably will be going for y50 4g model.

Most reviewers criticise the y50's screen. Even after calibration and what not, its not really acceptable.

And one more info to all: people who own a product may not give a 100% honest opinion. If one spends nearly a lakh on a device, he would try to defend it as much as possible, for self satisfaction. Its a natural self response. Look at User reviews in Flipkart for mobiles and laptops. One guy will say WOW and another will be like BLEHH,even though both are labeled Certified Buyer.

This is why i go for tech reviewer's opinions. They have the least possibility/reason to be biased (unless they are bribed)

OP
A

A.Asesh

Broken In
Most reviewers criticise the y50's screen. Even after calibration and what not, its not really acceptable.

And one more info to all: people who own a product may not give a 100% honest opinion. If one spends nearly a lakh on a device, he would try to defend it as much as possible, for self satisfaction. Its a natural self response. Look at User reviews in Flipkart for mobiles and laptops. One guy will say WOW and another will be like BLEHH,even though both are labeled Certified Buyer.

This is why i go for tech reviewer's opinions. They have the least possibility/reason to be biased (unless they are bribed)

+1.. but this verdict made me even more confused :/

rishi_sethi

Journeyman

Tech Reviewers? Look at digit's reviews and judge whether they are biased or not :p

1) Most of the foreign tech reviewers are based in the US. They are lavishly spoiled by the number of options they have for laptops to buy and the pricing wars between so many brands which offer laptops in all ranges, unlike India where just 1-2 brand make laptops worthy of gaming at under 1 lakh budget. So what is good enough in USA might be great for India considering the rarity of options we have.

2) Indian tech reviewers? LOL. Most of them are unemployed people who are good in speaking/writing english, so they get the reviewing jobs. Most of them on the TV or local newspaper are so bad, they speak like this "It has nvidia card, which you know is always excellent (though it is 720m). It looks really good and thus I like it".

I am not trying to say that those who buy these laptops are not biased in their reviews, they somewhat are. But I honestly don't see why people bash y50's screen so much. It is perfectly usable and enjoyable for gaming/browsing/movie watching experience when alone. and the speakers are just wow, one of the best you will hear on a Laptop in India.

Top Bottom