Any Electronics scrap market in Delhi ?

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Searching online suggests asias biggest scrap market is in khazan basti, mayapuri. But I am not sure it has electronics scrap. It seems only popular for car scraps. There might be another one in 'mini Lajpat Roy market' . But not sure.
Does anyone know better.

I am looking for broken led screens of laptops in particular.

Thanks

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Good idea. I was thinking too much in terms of kabaadi market only . But nehru place might be much better.

FYI: Those screens will be used for making LED window lights:
: From DIYperks guy- such an awesome channel

Reactions: nac
OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
@whitestar_999 Your suggestion worked extremely well. Thanks!
Nehru place! Got 5 pieces from literally the first shop I checked in nehru place @Rs 20 / piece :D . I am still surprised at the price.
Conversation went like:
me: *pointed at the stack* yeh screen how much ?
them: you want broken screens ?
me: yes, these .
them: how many do you want ?
me: tell price for 1 and 3-4
them: 20@ piece
me : Kya baat kar rahe ho!

There are loads of such laptop repair shops , that have whole stacks of these screens!

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Hallu laiya! it lights up.
Don't quite have the grip on soldering , nor have steady hands plus the solder pads are super tiny. But still works!
Haven't removed the glass in front, so can't comment on brightness. The solder joints may be flimsy, so I have poured some fevicol around the joints and am gonna wait for it to dry, then proceed...

will post pics later..

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I am curious to know how a broken LCD panel (with possibly lines and dead pixels between them) could be turned into those LED window panels.

Also I realize, this forum don't have a DIY section.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I am curious to know how a broken LCD panel (with possibly lines and dead pixels between them) could be turned into those LED window panels.

Also I realize, this forum don't have a DIY section.

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
@Vyom This just uses the LED back lights in the display, the LCD part is removed. See pics..

The light is strong for 4.3W, but not soft. In fact can't have it in a position like a window, light is not spread out enough to have it eye level, unless the room already is well lit. I was hoping the light to be softer.. but that should be fixable with some diffusing sheet. That's the plan now.. create 2 more such pieces and cover them whole with a sheet.

The soldering is holding. Made a simple temp cardboard frame to keep the LCD on.
Pictures: Apologies for the quality. Can post better pictures if someone wants to see..

Back soldering:
IMG_20190227_122231.jpg

with the LCD panel
IMG_20190226_195511.jpg

front light, LCD panel removed
IMG_20190227_122204.jpg

light on, back view.
IMG_20190227_122309.jpg

comparison with tubelight
IMG_20190227_122156.jpg

billubakra

Conversation Architect
@Vyom This just uses the LED back lights in the display, the LCD part is removed. See pics..

The light is strong for 4.3W, but not soft. In fact can't have it in a position like a window, light is not spread out enough to have it eye level, unless the room already is well lit. I was hoping the light to be softer.. but that should be fixable with some diffusing sheet. That's the plan now.. create 2 more such pieces and cover them whole with a sheet.

The soldering is holding. Made a simple temp cardboard frame to keep the LCD on.
Pictures: Apologies for the quality. Can post better pictures if someone wants to see..

Back soldering:
View attachment 17906

with the LCD panel
View attachment 17903

front light, LCD panel removed
View attachment 17905

light on, back view.
View attachment 17907

comparison with tubelight
View attachment 17904

Looks good. Please post full size images.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I get it now. You would discard the actual mirror, and just use the back LED panel, cover it with a diffuser sheet and voila!
I have a 32" unbranded LED TV which is on the verge of it's EOL. I now have a good use for it. Thanks mate!

Also, would love to follow this project of yours. I can change the title of this thread, or you can create a new thread if you would like for this.

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
@ billubakra, will post better pics..

@Vyom pretty much, the DIYperks guy shows and explains things a lot better than me. Plus he has such a pleasant and soothing way of showing things. Highly recommended. Also I have no idea if this would work with a LED TV. Some people have asked the same question in the youtube comments. My uneducated guess would be that if its possible, the solder pads and names could be different. I'll create a separate thread tonight. I think that would be better..

@Gollum Yes! infact the diyperks did a video on this exact same topic . He even adds battery to it. (My note: working with batteries would require solid electrical knowledge, as lots of things have to be taken into account. Its something I don't touch ).

Top Bottom