Antivirus

mahendran

Journeyman
I have three desktop connected in a homegroup.

I want to buy a antivirus.

do I have to install antivirus in all the systems or only one would do?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I have three desktop connected in a homegroup.

I want to buy a antivirus.

do I have to install antivirus in all the systems or only one would do?
First try the free version (not trail) of Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Avast or Avira. Those are adequate for most home users.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
First try the free version (not trail) of Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Avast or Avira. Those are adequate for most home users.
I don't think that answers OP's question, who is asking if installing one AV on one machine is enough and it can scan other PCs to or it's better to install AV on all 3 systems separately.

I think it's the latter, since an AV on one system can't really scan infections better than if each AV is tasked to scan their own system. But I could be wrong since I don't use AV anymore.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Kaspersky has a free version ?
Yes it has one now.

I don't think that answers OP's question, who is asking if installing one AV on one machine is enough and it can scan other PCs to or it's better to install AV on all 3 systems separately.

I think it's the latter, since an AV on one system can't really scan infections better than if each AV is tasked to scan their own system. But I could be wrong since I don't use AV anymore.
OP also wants to buy antivirus. That's why the recommendation.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Normal way of doing it is 3 instances of antivirus. I am not sure if there is any popular network AV for home use.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
I have three desktops connected in a homegroup.

I want to buy an antivirus.

do I have to install antivirus on all the systems or only one would do?
Can you use two antivirus programs on one computer?
Remember, good anti-virus software is important, but it's even more important to browse the web safely. The best way to avoid viruses is to make sure you don't download them in the first place. Don't click on anything that claims you have a virus unless it's coming from Bitdefender itself. Don't click on any suspicious Facebook posts, and don't click on suspicious email links. If you get an email from ebay.com, hover your cursor over the link and look at the bottom of your screen to make sure it actually goes to www.ebay.com. if it goes somewhere else, it's probably going to harm your computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M

mahendran

Journeyman
thanks to all for suggestions.

however the basic issue ,"whether separate antivirus installation"required for 3 networked desktops in the home group" remains to be clarified.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes!For a typical user,no matter how many networked PCs are there in home LAN,AV is required on each PC.Also always try with a trial version first if you are planning on buying an AV as it is a known fact that some AVs don't work so well on some systems because of many hardware/software issues which can not be predicted in advance.Also when buying AV only go for Kaspersky,Bitdefender or Avira.Do not buy Indian AVs like quickheal(you might as well use free version of Avira or Avast or Kaspersky & donate the money to some charity,that would do more good).

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Yes!For a typical user,no matter how many networked PCs are there in home LAN,AV is required on each PC.Also always try with a trial version first if you are planning on buying an AV as it is a known fact that some AVs don't work so well on some systems because of many hardware/software issues which can not be predicted in advance.Also when buying AV only go for Kaspersky,Bitdefender or Avira.Do not buy Indian AVs like quickheal(you might as well use free version of Avira or Avast or Kaspersky & donate the money to some charity,that would do more good).

+1. What about K7?

OP can also check out Windows Defender.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
It doesn't fair well to have comments like this on any forum, Indian or abroad. Mainly because

1. Claimer who made the comment has not provided any supporting data

2. Claimer is not a known security software expert ( no credentials to varify otherwise )

3. No mention about any comparison studies made on the topic

I say this just because Claimer used the term Indian AV. That is racist, for sure. What if someone launched an AV today, which is at par with leading AVs ? I don't mind if someone says that one or more than one brand of AV is junk, bad according to his / her personal opinion. It is common style in some foreign forums to term anything Indian as sub standard. Freelancers, graphic designers, developers and so on.

Let us not do this ourselves.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
It doesn't fair well to have comments like this on any forum, Indian or abroad. Mainly because

1. Claimer who made the comment has not provided any supporting data

2. Claimer is not a known security software expert ( no credentials to varify otherwise )

3. No mention about any comparison studies made on the topic

I say this just because Claimer used the term Indian AV. That is racist, for sure. What if someone launched an AV today, which is at par with leading AVs ? I don't mind if someone says that one or more than one brand of AV is junk, bad according to his / her personal opinion. It is common style in some foreign forums to term anything Indian as sub standard. Freelancers, graphic designers, developers and so on.

Let us not do this ourselves.
I check avcomparatives (link: Independent Tests of Anti-Virus Software - AV-Comparatives) as well as virus total (link: VirusTotal) for comparing effectiveness of AVs and none of the local AVs make it to the list. Either they don't submit the applications for testing or they know it isn't worth comparing.

Top Bottom