Another Upgrade query!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eagle_y2j

Youngling
Currently my config is a 2 year old i845GVSR mb with 2.8 Ghz 512 MB cache intel processor,266 MB of DDR ram and Seagate Barracuda 40 GB PATA HDD and I wanna get my both types of memory upgrade for purpose of getting extra performance from this old PC for little bit of multimedia experience and Photoshop etc.
Till now my pocket and me decided to go for DDr ram module to 512MB or more and PATA hdd at least 80 GB to make total of 120 GB .Can someone of u plz help me out to go for a really hot & worthy upgrade

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Add atleast 512 MB RAM (Rs. 1800) bringing the total to 768 MB. Add another PATA 80 GB HDD (Rs. 2300). If you have an AGP slot, add a low end AGP card like Geforce 6200 (Rs. 3500) or a Geforce 6600 (Rs. 5000).

OP
eagle_y2j

eagle_y2j

Youngling
@ drvarunmehta thanks but dude can u help me over compatibility issue of my MB i.e specific type of memory my MB supports

Journeyman
An upgrade of 512MB of RAM is not adequate in my opinion. I would suggest atleast an 1GB RAM upgrade. Forget the HDD. In your case, upgrading to add another PATA HDD is not solution, as I would suggest. My reson being that, such multimedia exp. (if not for space req.) does not requre u to increase ur HDD size.
If you have a seperate partition (Other than your Windows Partition), install Photoshop on it.
Don't make your Windows Partition your PS Scratch Disk. You can remedy that in preferences> Scratch Disks of Photoshop. Better if you make a seperate partition just for scratchs (Some recommend that, yet I have not experienced a speed boost with it).
RAM is the Ultimate factor.
It is a different matter if you are going to upgrade to another HDD type with faster access speeds than your already existing PATA drive.
And I would suggest you get a low end, but decent AGP Card. nVidia 6600 is excellent at a low budget.
Make sure you buy RAM of the same ?Clock speeds - I don't think you'd have any issue then, but I'd leave that recommendation to someone with more exp. in RAM Modules and its compatability.

eagle_y2j said:
hmmm...but wat about same clock speed ram how to verify still waiting for perfect answer

be more specific on your requirements,your question is not clear on what actually you mean by both memories.

digiFriend

In the zone
check which speed of ram your motherboard support. 845 series of motherboard generally support 333MHz ram. buy 1gb ram ,if possible stuck a deal with dealer to give him your old 256 mb ram. most dealer adjust that money in the new ram you buy from them.

digiFriend

In the zone
512MB 333MHz DDRAM module approx price is 2100 Rs for 1 year warranty
buy 2 module.
1gb 333MHz DDRAM ,single module is not easily available. it price is approx 4000 RS

OP
eagle_y2j

eagle_y2j

Youngling
hey wats ur opinion if i change my current Mb to any another supporting my current PGA-478 socket 2.8 ghz intel processor and ram ddr at 400mhz,supporting both SATA and PATA hdd ,AGP and some other features...............Plz suggest any mb fullfilling above features
<TIA>

OP
eagle_y2j

eagle_y2j

Youngling
My current mb i.e intel orignal 845GVSR does'nt have AGP,SATA and DDR ram @400 Mhz so for all above I am planing to buy a new mb supporting my old 2.8 ghz processor(533mhz,512 kb) and tried to find it online but now there is somewat confusion i am looking for mb with a PGA 468 socket and other features but all mb which i am keeping my consideration specifies there specification to support intel p4 @ 800mhz ! do they can also support mine cpu

I wanna do any mb linked below is of my use...............................*www.giga-byte.com/products/motherboard/Default.aspx?CPUType=Socket 478&ChipsetType=Intel 875P or plz choose best for me thankx

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom