Android Smartphone under 20k

Hi Guys,

Let me start with my back story. I was a happy owner of LG Optimus One for last two years which I flashed with variety of custom ROM's several times. I lost my phone (well, no more mine :cry: ) few weeks back. Now on the hunt for a new Android smartphone. Was not quite familiar with the happenings in smartphone world. So did my research and came up with the final decision to grab Moto G.

Few other phones that came in on the process were Sony Xperia series (didn't like the design personally), XOLO-MMX-Gionee (untrustworthy chinese brands), Samsung Galaxy Grand 2-S4 Mini (didn't like the Samsung Android UI personally), but made those off the table due to reason in brackets.

Provided I have to wait for few more weeks to get official Moto G in hand, please help me with a quick alternative. Or should I go with Moto G fro grey market ( Motorola Moto G - Global Version - Unlocked - 16GB - !!Read!! | eBay ) but tad worried because of the disappointment that may follow if Moto official release price is less than the above one, 17.4k for 16 GB.

Here goes my filled questionnaire:

1. Budget? 20k - Maximum can be extended upto 24k.
2. Display type and size? - 4-5 Inch
3. Form Factor? bar, slider, flip? - Bar.
4. Preferred choice of brand? - Anything other than Samsung, Chinese brands
5. Preferred input method (QWERTY, touchscreen, numpad, touch-n-type) - Touch
6. What camera option you want? Please specify need for flash, autofocus, front facing camera - Anything will do.
7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc) - Android
8. Preferred connectivity options (3G, Wifi etc)Please specify clearly - Both
9. Preferred applications (Flash, Swype, GPS, etc)? - Doesnt matter
10. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, mails, internet, gaming etc)? - Multimedia, Apps, Internet and bit of gaming.
11. Any specific mobile phones in consideration? - Moto G

sksundram

In the zone
Moto G. It will be launched soon. Don't go with the one selling in grey market. You will have to sacrifice your phone's warranty in case you buy that.

OP
M

maheshmohan.mu

Broken In
Moto G. It will be launched soon. Don't go with the one selling in grey market. You will have to sacrifice your phone's warranty in case you buy that.

Thanks for the reply sksundaram. But I heard that Moto devices are having a level of build quality that it wouldn't be requiring any after sales service. Perhaps for some people, it sounds like kind of stretch.

But still my question remains unanswered. What if the official version costs around 17-18k for 16 GB (I know we cant directly convert dollars to INR and stating it's unfair for Moto to charge 17k or whatever, given the import duty/taxes) Would it still can be marked as a budget device considering the value it provides for the money we spend?

And some points favorable to official release are speculated dual SIM version and pre-installed kit-kat in India.

sksundram

In the zone
Yes, you are right. Motorola is six sigma certified (well! Motorola developed it). It is the best in 16-17K range considering you don't count local as well as Chinese sets. I strongly advice you to stay away from grey market since it's going to launch this week or the next.

Last edited:
Since you can extend upto 24k, get Xperia ZR or ZL. Check prices of both of them locally
Sony Xperia ZL vs Sony Xperia ZR: Compare Mobiles: Flipkart.com

Both were available for ~24k in eBay with manufacturer warranty

That ZR from flipkart has 6 months ADP. I don't think Sony's designing is bad, but then its your personal opinion. For your budget these are the best phones in India

Top Bottom