Journeyman
Hi All,

I want to buy phone by Aug 10.

1. Budget? 13 to 15K max
2. Display type and size? 4.5" or more
3. Form Factor? bar, slider, flip? any
4. Preferred choice of brand? any brand excluding Indian
5. Preferred input method (QWERTY, touchscreen, numpad, touch-n-type). any
6. What camera option you want? Please specify need for flash, autofocus, front facing camera. 5 MP minimum, flash not mandatory.
7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc). Android
8. Preferred connectivity options (3G, Wifi etc)Please specify clearly.
9. Preferred applications (Flash, Swype, GPS, etc)?
10. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, mails, internet, gaming etc)? general use.
11. Any specific mobile phones in consideration? Lenovo A706, Samsung Galaxy S Advance
12. Any other info that you want to share

Anyone used or have idea about Lenovo A706? Since this will be my first Android phone, I do not have idea about custom ROMs, will it be easy to get custom ROM for Lenovo A706?

Last edited:

Dew

Destiny's a *****
yes xperia l's worth spending more.. Check the local shops in your city.. You might get it for less..

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Thing is, if u start from zero and go higher little by little, considering one phone at each price point, Xperia L is the first phone you will get which is worth the money. There is no good phone for 13k or 15k or whatever.

You can check various threads. no matter what people ask, if they want a phone from above Rs. 12k, people will suggest Xperia L.

Companies are simply not making good cheap phones. From a capitalist point of view that works because if they don't provide anything good at a lower price point, ultimately people will be forced to increase their budgets. So little by little the options have dried out at the budget and even mid range category. The companies have reached an informal consensus on this.

As technology progresses and becomes cheaper, you can expect that next year there will be nothing worth buying below 20k. That's how Capitalist economy works.

People could suggest you HTC desire U or LG optimus l7 and such. But with their Cortex A5 processors and 512 MB of RAM, they are really not worth it. For instance, with the Desire U, you will face problems even while playing a 720p video, let alone recording.

So yes, Galaxy S advance is the only real option you have. Unless you can stretch your budget and get the Xperia L, before it is discontinued.

Dew

Destiny's a *****
Thing is, if u start from zero and go higher little by little, considering one phone at each price point, Xperia L is the first phone you will get which is worth the money. There is no good phone for 13k or 15k or whatever.

You can check various threads. no matter what people ask, if they want a phone from above Rs. 12k, people will suggest Xperia L.

Companies are simply not making good cheap phones. From a capitalist point of view that works because if they don't provide anything good at a lower price point, ultimately people will be forced to increase their budgets. So little by little the options have dried out at the budget and even mid range category. The companies have reached an informal consensus on this.

As technology progresses and becomes cheaper, you can expect that next year there will be nothing worth buying below 20k. That's how Capitalist economy works.

People could suggest you HTC desire U or LG optimus l7 and such. But with their Cortex A5 processors and 512 MB of RAM, they are really not worth it. For instance, with the Desire U, you will face problems even while playing a 720p video, let alone recording.

So yes, Galaxy S advance is the only real option you have. Unless you can stretch your budget and get the Xperia L, before it is discontinued.

Very Honest n Mature Answer,you got ma respect man :)

How you guys are saying Xperia L in 15K, I checked on flikpart, price is 16450/-

Thts right pal but but then flipkart's not the only place, did you check local shops in your city?

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
^^
Thanks... I know because I myself started looking for a phone around 12-13k and then ended up buying Xperia L for 17k.
Yes, it is a good phone, a very good one. But only a month and I'm having doubts if it is even worth it spending that much on a phone. After all, what will I use it for?
Phone calls? - It starts to hurt my ears after 15-20 minutes coz of it's size
Whatsapp/SMS? - even a 5k android can handle that
Movies? - I don't think so, I have my lappy for that. But maybe the occasional one
Music? - Yes, I use it for that a lot
Camera? - Nope, I already have a decent cam
eBooks? - Not feasible on prolonged use
Games? - Nah, got bored in a month

Ultimately I think 12-13k was the price point at which I could think of a phone as providing utility equal to its price, but at 17k, not so much. It was a well thought out decision and I don't regret it, but the additional 5k, at least for me, wasn't well spent.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Xperia M confirmed for launch in the second week of august.. But no word on pricing as of yet..
Its basically the same thing as Xperia L except for 5MP cam, 0.3 inch less screen

OP
P

_prabhat

Journeyman
^^
Thanks... I know because I myself started looking for a phone around 12-13k and then ended up buying Xperia L for 17k.
Yes, it is a good phone, a very good one. But only a month and I'm having doubts if it is even worth it spending that much on a phone. After all, what will I use it for?
Phone calls? - It starts to hurt my ears after 15-20 minutes coz of it's size
Whatsapp/SMS? - even a 5k android can handle that
Movies? - I don't think so, I have my lappy for that. But maybe the occasional one
Music? - Yes, I use it for that a lot
Camera? - Nope, I already have a decent cam
eBooks? - Not feasible on prolonged use
Games? - Nah, got bored in a month

Ultimately I think 12-13k was the price point at which I could think of a phone as providing utility equal to its price, but at 17k, not so much. It was a well thought out decision and I don't regret it, but the additional 5k, at least for me, wasn't well spent.

After reading your post, I am rethinking should I really invest 15K in phone or should I buy phone around 7 - 8K. Most of the time we buy something only because people around us are using them. Just to maintain status. I know if I buy a phone with 5 inch display, not only I will pay more for the features which I will rarely use, but to carry such phone will also be a bit uncomfortable. But when I see people using phablet and you do not use, it just makes you feel a bit uncomfortable. This is the reason people join costly Gym but do not use bicycle when it is possible for them to use. In Europe I saw lot of people use bicycle because it does not make pollution, it saves fuel, and gives you exercise. But still in India, people do not use bicycle even if it is possible for them. They will join Gym but use car for commuting. They will use elevator when they can use staircase. This is how Indian think and it should be changed.

amarff

Broken In
Galaxy Core has a sudden price drop..

Its now available at around 12k on indiatimes (coupon FREEDOMMOB).

It think its a worthy phone at this cost if you care for dual sim.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
After reading your post, I am rethinking should I really invest 15K in phone or should I buy phone around 7 - 8K. Most of the time we buy something only because people around us are using them. Just to maintain status. I know if I buy a phone with 5 inch display, not only I will pay more for the features which I will rarely use, but to carry such phone will also be a bit uncomfortable.

One hardly pays attention to their needs and usage while buying such things. If you are rethinking, then I'd strongly suggest drawing up usage scenarios and consider how useful the phone will be. If you are going to be doing a lot of talking on the phone, big screen will make it uncomfortable.
So consider and try to list out what you might be doing with your phone, that will help you better understand what phone to buy.

Coming back to the recommendation, I'd not suggest buying Galaxy core or any other galaxy model for that matter. Not only is samsung making bad configurations, its hardware quality has also gone down ever since it went on an all advertisement no innovation strategy.

As I said earlier, I'm at a real loss when it comes to suggesting alternatives. If you are sure that you will make good utilization of android and its features, go ahead and buy Xperia L (or wait for M). If not, then look for alternatives at your preferred price point.

dude1

Journeyman
Well P770 is better than p706...Its almost comparable to xperia L....and better than XL in terms of battery life(better than any phone currently on indian market actually!),clock speed of cpu is 20% more and resolution is also more(and so is the screen size)...Its a bit thick though @ 11.9mm.... It might not be handsome like the XL but certainly worth the price(if u dont prefer indian brands)

mohit9206

Ambassador of Buzz
If you dont care for brands then Q700 from Xolo is a good choice otherwise S Advance is the best phone at around 12k.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Well P770 is better than p706...Its almost comparable to xperia L....and better than XL in terms of battery life(better than any phone currently on indian market actually!),clock speed of cpu is 20% more and resolution is also more(and so is the screen size)...Its a bit thick though @ 11.9mm.... It might not be handsome like the XL but certainly worth the price(if u dont prefer indian brands)

Clock speed ofof P770 is not more than Xperia L. Even though L's speed is mentioned as 1GHZ in many places, it is actually 1.2 Ghz only. Plus Cortex A9 is a notch lower than Krait.
Still, A9 is a good processor.

Pay attention to the weight though, at 161 Gms it's on the heavier side.

OP
P

_prabhat

Journeyman
I may buy one of the following.

Xperia L ------ Everything good but display is 4.3" I wanted minimum 4.5"
Xperia M ------ (Waiting to be released in India, hope it gets released soon otherwise dropped from my shortlist. Though display is 4" I will still consider if released soon if price is lower)
Lenovo S890 ------ Good specifications but looks not very attractive.
Lenovo P770 ------ Good specifications, good battery but does not have white color, looks not very attractive.
Lenovo A706 ------ Good specfications but looks not very attractive.

I do not want to take risk of Indian brand and regret later. Indian brand may not be wise choice around 15K.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom