Android Phone in less than 9K

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
1. Budget?
:arrow:7000-8000, but can hardly extend it to 9000 too :/

2. Display type and size?
:arrow: It doesn't matter, but text should be readable under sunlight.

3. Form Factor? bar, slider, flip?
:arrow: Touch(Bar).

4. Preferred choice of brand?
:arrow: No such "choice", but shouldn't be from spice, micromax, acer or dell.

5. Preferred input method (QWERTY, touchscreen, numpad, touch-n-type).
:arrow: Touchscreen. Touch with slide QWERTY is better(like in N97)

6. What camera option you want? Please specify need for flash, autofocus, front facing camera.
:arrow: It doesn't matter

7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
:arrow: Android

8. Preferred connectivity options (3G, Wifi etc)Please specify clearly.
:arrow: WiFi isn't really needed, but still I will like if the phone has this. :)

9. Preferred applications (Flash, Swype, GPS, etc)?
:arrow: uhh what?

10. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, mails, internet, gaming etc)?
:arrow: Messaging, Internet Surfing, occasional photo-clicks and little gaming.

11. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?
:arrow: Not really! I just checked Optimus Me, but heard that it is slow/laggy.

12. Any other info that you want to share

The price should be as-low-as possible. I will also use the phone to watch videos occasionally and hear music on it. I will also surf on web using it, so either the browser should be nice or it should support Opera Mini. I will also install games and apps on it, so installing and sing them should be easy and memory should be good. Battery, doesn't matter much, but the phone should go for about 1.5 days with normal usage.

Please, also post the price along with the name of phone. :)

guru_urug

iGoogle
LG optimus one, slightly above ur budget(lil above 9k). But it wud be worth it.
Else u have the samsung galaxy pop(8.2k)

But seriously try to save a lil more and get the optimus one, theres a world of difference u can get with 1k more.
Better display, better looks, more RAM, "much" better batt life, lots of custom roms and good dev support, official GB(android 2.3)

OP
Nipun

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
LG optimus one, slightly above ur budget(lil above 9k). But it wud be worth it.
Else u have the samsung galaxy pop(8.2k)

But seriously try to save a lil more and get the optimus one, theres a world of difference u can get with 1k more.
Better display, better looks, more RAM, "much" better batt life, lots of custom roms and good dev support, official GB(android 2.3)

Actually the problem is that I am not paying for it, my dad is paying. :))
I will see if he agrees for more.

Also, how much resolution matter? I read on a review of Galaxy Pop and Optimus me that it has low resolution. So what will be the effect of this "low resolution"?

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
+1 @guru_urug

Actually the problem is that I am not paying for it, my dad is paying. :))
I will see if he agrees for more.

Also, how much resolution matter? I read on a review of Galaxy Pop and Optimus me that it has low resolution. So what will be the effect of this "low resolution"?

Optimus One has a resolution of 320 x 480 pixels, which is double that of Galaxy POP, Galaxy Fit, Galaxy Pro, etc..

With this kind of resolution, you can run a lot more apps and games, which are not available for low-res phones. Also, on low resolution screens, icons and graphics are fuzzy and text is pixelated. Reading anything is very difficult unless you zoom in a lot.

Optimus One is complete paisa-vasool value-for-money phone. Don't buy anything else.

On Letsbuy.com, you can get Optimus One for 9k by using discount coupon RCOMLB1.

All the best...

guru_urug

iGoogle
well with a lower res screen, the most obvious disadvantage is the picture cripsness. It will give a pixelated look.

Besides that, the other major disadvantage is that many android apps require a minimum of hvga res to run. pop is qvga. So all apps wont work.

Also most custom themes are mdpi/hdpi (medium/high density screens) the pop has a ldpi screen.

OP
Nipun

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
Thanks! :D

I wont be purchasing online, so whats the MRP of phone? Is there any color-range or is it just available in one color?

Any other suggestion(I want choices :p )?

Is it upgradable to 2.3?

Last edited:

guru_urug

iGoogle
In India it comes in 2 colors, black is most common and IMO better since it wont get dirt marks easily.
There is also a white model which was recently launched. But its more expensive...so its not worth it.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
Thanks! :D

I wont be purchasing online, so whats the MRP of phone? Is there any color-range or is it just available in one color?

Any other suggestion(I want choices :p )?

Is it upgradable to 2.3?

MRP doesn't matter. I bought this phone for 10k in March. By now, it should be @ 9k or 9.5k.

No other phone comes close to it in terms of features for price... I researched for more than two months before buying this phone. At that time, people were buying it for 12k...

It might be available in white color also... but depends on the store you buy from...

I am running Android 2.3.4 on it for many weeks now... though it is not yet officially available. Hackers love this phone and there are awesome ROMS for this phone available on XDA developers forum...

OP
Nipun

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
MRP doesn't matter. I bought this phone for 10k in March. By now, it should be @ 9k or 9.5k.

No other phone comes close to it in terms of features for price... I researched for more than two months before buying this phone. At that time, people were buying it for 12k...

It might be available in white color also... but depends on the store you buy from...

I am running Android 2.3.4 on it for many weeks now... though it is not yet officially available. Hackers love this phone and there are awesome ROMS for this phone available on XDA developers forum...

Hmm.... So I guess I will get it for about 9K. :D

I wont go for 2.3 until its officially released. :))
Two last questions:
:arrow: Is movie watching fun and umm easy(?) in it?
:arrow: STUPID QUESTION: What are ROMs?

MatchBoxx

the m0nk who sold his PC!
Hmm.... So I guess I will get it for about 9K. :D

I wont go for 2.3 until its officially released. :))
Two last questions:
:arrow: Is movie watching fun and umm easy(?) in it?
:arrow: STUPID QUESTION: What are ROMs?

watching movies on such small screen may not be fun...depends on user to user.
Regarding your Stupid Question, Custom ROMs equal to modified Android builds. To think otherwise, custom ROMs are equivalent to Windows Longhorn(?), Windows Black(?) edition!
Excuse me mods! :p

OP
Nipun

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
My dad doesn't seem to agree on LG Optimus one..... not even for any phone from 7k+. He said what are the features of this phone, I replied that it has android. He then asked whats that? Why do you need that? I told him, but still second question was difficult for me :)).

Then I dropped down to Symbian phones. He still asked, why do you need it? If you have to play games, you have a computer for it. To surf net, you have computer.... And for almost everything, I had a computer :)). He said that I only need a phone to- Make calls, messages, camera and little songs etc. So now question is that how to make him agree?

Not exactly this, but how to explain him what Symbian and Android are and how they are better than others.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
My dad doesn't seem to agree on LG Optimus one..... not even for any phone from 7k+. He said what are the features of this phone, I replied that it has android. He then asked whats that? Why do you need that? I told him, but still second question was difficult for me :)).

Then I dropped down to Symbian phones. He still asked, why do you need it? If you have to play games, you have a computer for it. To surf net, you have computer.... And for almost everything, I had a computer :)). He said that I only need a phone to- Make calls, messages, camera and little songs etc. So now question is that how to make him agree?

Not exactly this, but how to explain him what Symbian and Android are and how they are better than others.

Your Android phone won't be just a phone... it is a computer in itself... a communications device which lets you stay connected to the world, puts the internet on your fingertips wherever you are, entertains you with games, music and videos, makes it very easy to share your life on social networks with your friends...

Simple things like threaded SMS messages are very awesome. I have a choice of using any of the dozens of keyboards available online... I have access to email and facebook updates every minute of the day... Gallery to view pictures and videos is awesome... The magic of pinching a picture to zoom in and pan around is just awesome... and very useful...

I have Google maps in my pocket... I never get lost... I have GPS and magnetic compass which helps me plot my road in a new city... Google places gives me easy access to restaurants, pubs, atm machines, petrol pumps in a new neighborhood...

Aldiko ebook reader stores dozens of books that I read when I am free at night... Viber (beta) lets me call my brother in the UK for free (He has an iphone). Then there is Google Talk... and so many awesome apps... I regularly use Engadget, NDTV, Go SMS Pro...

All my data is safe... always.. All my contacts and calender entries are synced to my Google account... All my pictures are in Picasa (private) using Just Pictures app... Important videos I shoot go to Youtube (private)... Even if I lose my phone or it breaks or falls in water, I would only have to replace it and all my data will be there... everything is safe in the CLOUD...

There are things which your dad will understand only after using the device for a few days... It is something you have to experience... Even I am discovering new things in this phone everyday...

Cheers! :razz:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

Tell him that O one has free GPS and that if you get lost somewhere, it is extremely easy to find way back or for others to trace you.

Also tell him that Android application development is the big thing and has huge demand with fat pay checks in IT. :D

OP
Nipun

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
Tell him that O one has free GPS and that if you get lost somewhere, it is extremely easy to find way back or for others to trace you.

Also tell him that Android application development is the big thing and has huge demand with fat pay checks in IT. :D

LOL!

But now I think that I wont get an android! Any other reason? :p

And by the way, as my budget is now changed, what about Corby? Its not Smart phone, right?

Now budget is <7k and I am still looking for a good phone with touch screen. :))

MatchBoxx

LOL!

And by the way, as my budget is now changed, what about Corby? Its not Smart phone, right?

Now budget is <7k and I am still looking for a good phone with touch screen. :))

i have no idea about touchscreen phones with <7k budget, but i would suggest you Nokia C5...awesum feature packed phone on a budget. But if, IF you can spend 9k, then get Optimus One, even i'm going to buy it within some week! :p

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
LOL!

Good phone...???

How does this look--- Spice Mi-310 --- *www.letsbuy.com/spice-mi310-p-14631

*i.imgur.com/FIT12.jpg

Decent Android phone for 6400... can't get better than this...

Corby, Star, Wave... all bunch of crapgadgets... Don't bother with them.

Best of all, save money, buy Optimus One...

MatchBoxx

Good phone...???

How does this look--- Spice Mi-310 --- Buy Spice MI-310 at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews

*i.imgur.com/FIT12.jpg

are you sure that it is a USABLE android phone??? :/

i have no idea about touchscreen phones with <7k budget, but i would suggest you Nokia C5...awesum feature packed phone on a budget. But if, IF you can spend 9k, then get Optimus One, even i'm going to buy it within some week! :p

look for Nokia 52xx series touchscreen phones. They are good cheap vfm phones. But still, try to save some cash and go for Optimus One. It will dominate the lower end market of Android phones for sometimes now, unless HTC lowers down it's phone prices.

OP
Nipun

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
Good phone...???

How does this look--- Spice Mi-310 --- Buy Spice MI-310 at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews

*i.imgur.com/FIT12.jpg

My dad wont allow me to use an expensive phone(and O one is expensive!). :sad:
And I dont like spice and micromax etc!

So I guess I will have to forget smartphone :p

I was looking at Cookie fresh and Corby Plus. But you said corby isn't good, is cookie fresh also same?

@Sammy, I will look for a 52xx series' phone if corby & Cookie aren't very good :D

Last edited:

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
I was looking at Cookie fresh and Corby Plus. But you said corby isn't good, is cookie fresh also same?

@Sammy, I will look for a 52xx series' phone if corby & Cookie aren't very good :D

Do some research about any phone you would like to buy. If possible, borrow that phone from some friend and try hands on.

Forget Cookie series of phones. Their touchscreens and UIs are horrible...

As Sammy said, go for Nokia 52xx series. These phones have good built quality but are expensive...

For example, Nokia 5233 costs around 6k...

To each his own...

All the best to you...

MatchBoxx

Do some research about any phone you would like to buy. If possible, borrow that phone from some friend and try hands on.

Forget Cookie series of phones. Their touchscreens and UIs are horrible...

As Sammy said, go for Nokia 52xx series. These phones have good built quality but are expensive...

For example, Nokia 5233 costs around 6k...

To each his own...

All the best to you...

did you by any chance, mean *inexpensive* ??? 0_o

Top Bottom