Amitabh Bachchan turns down Australian doctorate as mark of protest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disc_Junkie

Call me D_J!

NEW DELHI: Superstar Amitabh Bachchan has reacted to racial attacks on Indian students in Australia by rejecting an honorary doctorate

offered to him by an Australian university.

The Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane had offered the 66-year-old veteran a doctorate for his contribution to the world of entertainment and Bachchan had earlier accepted the title.

The honour was to be conferred on the star in July as a part of celebrations to commemorate a retrospective of his to be inaugurated in the city.

"I have been witnessing with great dismay and shock, the recent violent attacks on Indian students in Australia, on the electronic media the entire day," Bachchan wrote on his blog.

"I mean no disrespect to the Institution that honours me, but under the present circumstances, where citizens of my own country are subjected to such acts of inhuman horror, my conscience does not permit me to accept this decoration from a country that perpetrates such indignity to my fellow countrymen," he added.

Australia has recently seen a series of attacks on Indian students, the most serious being the assault of Shravan Kumar, a 25-year-old student from Andhra Pradesh who is battling for life in a hospital here after being stabbed by a screwdriver by a group of teens in a weekend attack that also left three of his friends injured.

Source: *timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Amitabh-turns-down-Australian-doctorate/articleshow/4597284.cms

nix

he should stop acquiring poor farmers' land. i hate people who worship celebrities. most celebrities exist for their own benefit.

nix

@nucleuskore: i think amitabh should have accpeted the honor. not every australian is racist. why insult the university for a fault which is not theirs?.

we should not forget that many indians have studied in that university and are having succefull careers in that country.

there is not a single western country in the world where indians have not been subject to racism at one time or the other. so why did he accept honors from USA and france?.

and i don't think the man deserves any honor. he's just an actor, working for his benefit. he himself has said that.

gaurav_indian

CG Artist
@nucleuskore: i think amitabh should have accpeted the honor. not every australian is racist. why insult the university for a fault which is not theirs?.

we should not forget that many indians have studied in that university and are having succefull careers in that country.

there is not a single western country in the world where indians have not been subject to racism at one time or the other. so why did he accept honors from USA and france?.

and i don't think the man deserves any honor. he's just an actor, working for his benefit. he himself has said that.

+1 and do you know they go to australia for shooting many of their films.I hope he wont visit that place again.*img219.imageshack.us/img219/4865/rolleyes2.gif

Rahim

Married!
The whole Bachchan parivaar is a publicity-hunger group. Just look at Ash and her puppy in arms roaming around the world for publicity and recently has been named inthe Top 50 Most Powerfil Women. I wonder how? Nobody is doing any movies with her and she is busy showing her bosom to the International Media to get accepted :D

INS-ANI

In the zone
What do u expect a community developed on a really large criminal premises?
AUS was used by Imperial British to dump every criminal they had. They carried on these dumping for over 200 years and that even w/o any anti-dumping duty from aus...
You are too foolish to expect to grow a saint in such places.
The AUS still doesn't have consensus to appoint a AUssie head of state, replacing queen of england who is still head of state, above the AUS PM and Parliament.:evil:

Rahim

Married!
^Very good point. Aussies are thugs. But then again we are hypocrites ourself as we see how north indians are treated in Maharashtra by politicians goons. We Indians are as racist as any racist community in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom