AMD socket 939 Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

aditya_v

Broken In
Hi,
I have an aging 939 3000+ proccy, and wanted to upgrade to those dual core X2s..
however, it seems that AMD has stopped manufacturing those parts for socket 939, so can anyone tell me if i can get my hands on a 939 proccy in nehru place?

Also, should i go for a 2nd hand one? is a 2nd hand processor any good?

I am on a limited upgrade budget, would be spending around 4k on 8600gt and around 2k for the processor..
please help me.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
What is the monitor that you have. If your monitor has a max resolution of 1280x1024, you need not upgrade CPU etc. Do not buy anything now. Wait for another month and get 9600GT. By that time, this cards' price will come down to somewhere around 6k and should be enough for your display.

You will not see any noticeable difference between 3000+ and entry level/second hand X2. If you want to notice difference you need to change proccy, mobo and ram.

if possible overclock your processor to 2.3GHz. If your processor core's name is Venice, it's a superb overclocker. I am using it at 2.3Ghz for around 2 yrs.

Last edited:
OP
aditya_v

aditya_v

Broken In
well, my current system config is
AMD 3000+
1GB DDR
20" Dell monitor,
7300GT - ( the card is givin me problems, hence wanted to upgrade, bluescreen every 10 mins of gaming. )

I really don't know about the performance difference.. however, moving from a single socket 1.73ghz proccey to a Dual core 2.4 - 2.8 processor should give me quite a lot of performance... until the end of year

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^ okay. for a 20" monitor, there would be a definite difference but again just changing it to socket 939 X2 will not be a worthy change. If you move to something like Core2Duo E7200, the difference will be clearly visible.

P

paranj

I suggest u save a bit. Computer upgrades are indeed hard on ur wallet. As Agent 001 once said "U might have to save for a year per every upgrade....". And when u buy, buy the best from ur budget. I suggest to stay patient and save and get a Abit IP35e and a E7200. That way u will get an mobo with DDR2 and all bells and whistles plus a excellent proccy. Get urself 2GB DDR2 RAM too. Its dirt cheap. 8600GT is ok but if u want to game with it on a 20", better off saving again for a XFX 9600GT 512MB. Would be a lot better than. :) Otherwise, you can do what others suggest. They are valuable suggestions too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom