AMD Kaveri queries

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
processing power wise I don't think so but it's HSA feature may bring some interesting performance figures but then again really need to see how well Kaveri is going to perform with a high end gpu barring it's internal gpu part completely.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Latest details leaked at Hexus.net

Some previously unseen details about AMD’s next-generation Kaveri APU have been revealed in a leaked slide posted by little known extreme specifications site Extreme Spec. The new range of processors is expected for desktops in January 2014 and we already know quite a few details of what will make up the Kaveri APU. However the new slide fleshes out the details quite nicely.

20 per cent boost to CPU, 30 per cent boost to graphics

Two highlights of the new Kaveri APU are the performance of the CPU and GPU components. The slide mentions that the ‘Steamroller B’ CPU cores present in the next gen APU can offer a performance which surpasses Richland APUs by as much as 20 per cent. Kaveri contains up to four such CPU cores, 4MB of L2 cache and temperature smart functionality.

click to zoom-in

Boasting an even better performance hike is the GCN part of the APU. This, based on a pre-silicon projection, will yield up to 30 per cent better performance that the current Richland design. Further new graphics features supported by Kaveri are detailed as; the Universal Video Decode engine 4.2, VCE 2.0 video compression and an ACP audio co-processor.

Looking at absolute numbers we previously learnt that the 3.7GHz AMD A10-7850K Kaveri APU offers a combined all-cores performance of 856 GFLOPS.

A dedicated PCIe SSD interface

The Bolton chipset which accompanies the Kaveri boasts a few performance niceties of its own. The chipset has a dedicated PCIe interface for SSD drives, a 3rd generation PCI2 x16 slot for discrete GPUs and onboard support for resolutions up to 4096x2160 pixels.

The slide concludes with details about mobile-related specs such as battery-life, MobileMark07 and low TDPs between 15W and 25W being targeted, so one could conclude this slide, with its performance claims, refers to a mobile Kaveri APU not previously talked about by AMD. Nevertheless these are interesting new morsels of information to mull over as we await the launch of the first Kaveri APUs.
The above points to be under serious consideration...positively...

kg11sgbg

Latest "Kaveri" performance according to Xbit Labs :--->
AMD to Add Free Copy of Battlefield 4 to A10
A laptop where battlefield 4 is played through an APU only(without any discrete GPU) is worth interesting to invest in for its graphics performance.
Remember : I am not a Gamer.
Though I would like to see the video/movie performance under this "Kaveri" APU for which I'm so overenthusiast and overtly patient in waiting for the Laptops.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Latest "Kaveri" performance according to Xbit Labs :--->
AMD to Add Free Copy of Battlefield 4 to A10
A laptop where battlefield 4 is played through an APU only(without any discrete GPU) is worth interesting to invest in for its graphics performance.
Remember : I am not a Gamer.
Though I would like to see the video/movie performance under this "Kaveri" APU for which I'm so overenthusiast and overtly patient in waiting for the Laptops.

This is what I am talking about and nobody listens.That iGPU is giving 40FPS in BF4 alone is enough to show how much capable is Kaveri APU is...

kg11sgbg

^For most of the general end users globally,those who are not hardcore gamers(casual gamers),or those who are using laptops/desktops i.e computing power and tasks for general day to day usage(except advanced computing,graphics intensive tasks,industrial oriented tasks,etc.),the CPU power is neccessary to run the machine efficiently,but that does not require a premium high end CPU or server strength or mainframe standard CPU's,for the general end user.
I think you got my point.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
something interesting showed up :D
Alleged AMD 'Kaveri' A10-7850K Cinebench R15 Benchmark Surfaces - Steamroller Performance Compared

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
if price right and the screenshot is true :D anyway, performance wise it's more like FX 6300 [ a little less may be ] and goes neck to neck with a stock clocked i5 4670 but still 4.9 Ghz is quite high so I'm more interested to see how well it performs at stock clock speed.

kg11sgbg

if price right and the screenshot is true :D anyway, performance wise it's more like FX 6300 [ a little less may be ] and goes neck to neck with a stock clocked i5 4670 but still 4.9 Ghz is quite high so I'm more interested to see how well it performs at stock clock speed.
That performance is more than sufficient to non-gamers like me.

topgear,Asus seems to have leaned more towards Intel...expecting the good old HP to take the lead for Kaveri based Laptops.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't worry mate .. once AMD starts shipping Kaveri for laptops you will see laptops built using Kaveri from almost all of the major brands.

Akira

Augmented Nerd
Again, I too have to build a gaming rig soon...was going for amd 8320 8-core piledriver initially, until I saw this:

Model Cores Frequency Cache Graphics GPU TDP Price
A10-7700K 4 3.5 / 3.8 GHz 4 MB R7 series 720 MHz 95W $167
A10-7850K 4 3.7 / 4 GHz 4 MB R7 series 720 MHz 95W $189.24

The prices for Kaveri were released recently(pre-order). Ofcourse, in India they will be around say...12-13000? Kaveri is also toying around with HSA compatibility and 512 GCN cores. I read it can play BF4 at 40 fps without any extra GPU. Also has great compatibility with up and coming DirectX 11.2.

So, keeping in mind I need a next-gen gaming rig(for at least 3-4 years) should I wait till it's out and check the price? I am getting a great price on 8320 right now(Rs. 8500). Thoughts??

Last edited:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Again, I too have to build a gaming rig soon...was going for amd 8320 8-core piledriver initially, until I saw this:

Model Cores Frequency Cache Graphics GPU TDP Price
A10-7700K 4 3.5 / 3.8 GHz 4 MB R7 series 720 MHz 95W $167
A10-7850K 4 3.7 / 4 GHz 4 MB R7 series 720 MHz 95W $189.24

The prices for Kaveri were released recently(pre-order). Ofcourse, in India they will be around say...12-13000? Kaveri is also toying around with HSA compatibility and 512 GCN cores. I read it can play BF4 at 40 fps without any extra GPU. Also has great compatibility with up and coming DirectX 11.2.

So, keeping in mind I need a next-gen gaming rig(for at least 3-4 years) should I wait till it's out and check the price? I am getting a great price on 8320 right now(Rs. 8500). Thoughts??

what is your total budget?if you can get a capable discrete gpu, then there is no point in getting an apu. 8320 at rs 8500 is really good

Akira

Augmented Nerd
what is your total budget?if you can get a capable discrete gpu, then there is no point in getting an apu. 8320 at rs 8500 is really good

I want to squeeze the whole rig within 50k, and have finalized on AMD R9-270x for the gpu. Ram and motherboard is still an ongoing search, but what's really tricky is thr monitor(wont have enough left to get a 22-23").

Truth is, i kinda want the kaveri. Sure, it stretches yhe budget a bit, but with the new consoles having custom built apu, i don't want to regret it later when Kaveri is launched. Maybe it'll be around Holi? The holi sale is better than the Christmas one. And iam not on a clock, so i can wait.

Btw, anybody knows why it's called Kaveri? Or did they actually name it after an Indian river? :D

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
I want to squeeze the whole rig within 50k, and have finalized on AMD R9-270x for the gpu. Ram and motherboard is still an ongoing search, but what's really tricky is thr monitor(wont have enough left to get a 22-23").

Truth is, i kinda want the kaveri. Sure, it stretches yhe budget a bit, but with the new consoles having custom built apu, i don't want to regret it later when Kaveri is launched. Maybe it'll be around Holi? The holi sale is better than the Christmas one. And iam not on a clock, so i can wait.

Btw, anybody knows why it's called Kaveri? Or did they actually name it after an Indian river? :D

you can wait for the benchmarks to get unveiled.
or you can go with
fx 8320 -8.5k
ecs a970a deluxe -5.8k
kingston hyperx blu 4gb -2.5k
270x - 15.5k
wd blue 1 tb - 4k
asus odd- 1k
seasonic s12 ii 520 - 4k
betfenix merc alpha - 2.9k
dell s2240l - 8.6k
logitech mk200 - 0.7k

270x is surely powerful than the igpu of kaveri(7730 afaik)

better create a new thread in pc components section just before 2 weeks you intend to purchase the pc to get better suggestion

Akira

Augmented Nerd
I think iam going to wait. Kaveri has better specs than any of their older APUs, (Leaked benchmarks). But there is still the issue of Crossfire with r9-270x or hd 7870. The stuttering in dual graphics can be very frustrating, and AMD has a history of not fixing up these issues. Hopefully, they will optimize it better this time, or sales will drop drastically.

sainath

Android Addicted
Sorry for off topic: I don't understand why AMD naming these processor architecture line-up after Indian rivers? Kaveri & Kabini? Isn't it strange?

Akira

Augmented Nerd
Sorry for off topic: I don't understand why AMD naming these processor architecture line-up after Indian rivers? Kaveri & Kabini? Isn't it strange?

Nah, AMD has history of naming processors after rivers. Trinity is a river in Dallas,US and Llano is in Mason County. It's really cool, actually, that an internationally used processor will be named after an Indian river. Just hope that Kaveri is available in India by February and a reasonable price :-D

Top Bottom