AMD announces FireStream 9170, first dedicated stream processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
AMD today announced the AMD FireStream 9170 Stream Processor and an accompanying Software Development Kit (SDK) designed to harness the massive parallel processing power of the graphics processing unit (GPU). AMD leveraged its unique collective expertise in both GPUs and CPUs to deliver the first integrated hardware and software development solution that meets the needs of the demanding high-performance computing (HPC) market. AMD plans to deliver the FireStream 9170 and supporting SDK to market in the first quarter of 2008. With this launch AMD expects to achieve another important milestone on the path to Accelerated Computing by delivering the first in a series of next-generation heterogeneous compute architectures.....
[Read the full press release from the source: Engadget]

I'll upgrade when this comes into consmer hands :p :D

watch out nvidia :wink:

bikdel

Alpha Geek Banned
Is this what is known as Fusion?
if it is then i dont think the article is relevent... fusion has still 2 years to come....

nvidia

-----ATi-----
Intel will have monopoly over the entire processor market if AMD does not do something soon..:D

nvidia

-----ATi-----
^^ Ya.. From now on it will only follow Intel and on the way it may fall.. :D
But Intel wont follow AMD. Intel is far ahead now.. This new release may push AMD a few steps closer to Intel... :D

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
^^^ well always Intel is ahead of AMD... only thing was.. AMD launched 64bit CPUs to desk for the first time and cheaper!

Intel is always ahead.. As u know.. their slogan is "Leaps Ahead"

nvidia

-----ATi-----
^^lol.. I thought that the FUSION from AMD would push it up again in the procy market.. But now youre saying that Intel is tying up with nvidia... If intel does something like the FUSION with nvidia... then AMD will have to close down the company.. :(

hash!!

________
well, intel already has a big holding in nvidia, and from what i read, and ati being taken over by amd wasnt really a surprise... i guess everyone's decided that its better to have a two way competition rather than having a 10 different brands under 10 different cos...
but like everyone has a thing for nvidia, i've always had a thing for amd (despite the fact that i was an intel user for over 5-6 years until recently)
and i did hear about amd's project about 4x4... ie, 4 processing cores and 4 graphics processing cores... this was way back though, so cant be sure about how credible it was.... but yeah... my vote's for amd kickin intel's |3utt... :D

nvidia

-----ATi-----
hash!! said:
well, intel already has a big holding in nvidia, and from what i read, and ati being taken over by amd wasnt really a surprise... i guess everyone's decided that its better to have a two way competition rather than having a 10 different brands under 10 different cos...
but like everyone has a thing for nvidia, i've always had a thing for amd (despite the fact that i was an intel user for over 5-6 years until recently)
and i did hear about amd's project about 4x4... ie, 4 processing cores and 4 graphics processing cores... this was way back though, so cant be sure about how credible it was.... but yeah... my vote's for amd kickin intel's |3utt... :D

4 processing cores and 4 graphics cores??? :shock: :shock:
This is what AMD needs to kick Intel...:D:D
But if Intel ties up with nvidia... things will be different :D

hash!!

________
its kinda weird you know... amd processors usually come on nvidia boards, popularly.... and even the onboard graphics on those boards is always nvidia...
whereas intel boards usually have intel graphics accelerators, but in whatever cases i've seen the onboard graphics to be different, its usually ati on intel processor boards....
intel struck gold with its c2d and quad core series, before that, it was always amd for performance... and still, i've met professionals who swear by amd opterons for their workstations in comparison to intel's xeon series... its just crazy...
as for the 4x4 thing, i read about that 5-7 months back, but im still pretty hopeful for amd... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom