Amd 64 2x

Status
Not open for further replies.

hahahari

In the zone
I have a AMD 2X 64 Bit 4400+ processor.I presently run XP Pro 32 bit.does the OS do full justise to my Processor or can it be better utilised?And if I change to XP pro 64 Bit,will I have software compatiblity isssues?

Thnx fellas

Nav11aug

In the zone
AFAIK , the 32-bit OS does not do justice to your processor, and no, if you shift to 64-bit, you wnt have any compatibility issues

OP
hahahari

hahahari

In the zone
hmm yeah good point buddy forgot that :))

Does all the latest games suport xp 64 bit?

Last edited:

Nav11aug

In the zone
it doesnt matter even if your hardware doesnt have 64-bit drivers, XP64 will manage with the 32-bit drivers

sandeepk

Journeyman
@Nav11aug
Does this apply to 64 bit vista also? Because many people including myself are still using 32 bit XP because of lack of drivers for some devices.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
sandeepk said:
@Nav11aug
Does this apply to 64 bit vista also? Because many people including myself are still using 32 bit XP because of lack of drivers for some devices.

Yes, please tell us

narangz

Web developer
You need 64 bit drivers

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition requires that all system drivers be rewritten as 64-bit drivers, 32-bit drivers will not work. The hardware manufacturers are the ones who need to write new drivers, and they're working on it, but it's a resource issue. Writing and certifying a driver takes time and lots and lots of testing. Resources are always constrained, so the manufacturer needs to make a business decision about which hardware has priority for new drivers. This generally means that the focus is on the newest equipment, and older drivers may take a while, or never be done.

*www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/64bit/russel_x64faq.mspx

See question- "Why is there no driver for my [Insert your device name here]?"

NucleusKore

TheSaint
@narangz thanks, I had serious doubts on what Nav11aug posted earlier :D

Nav11aug said:
it doesnt matter even if your hardware doesnt have 64-bit drivers, XP64 will manage with the 32-bit drivers

NucleusKore

TheSaint
@hahahari yes you have to search for the drivers first, and they can only be provided by your hardware vendor(s). Check on their website. The othe roption is to try linux, its available as a 64 bit version too. Contact your local LUG for Open SuSE or Ubuntu Linux.

@Nav11aug its ok, we're all here to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom