Am I making an impractical decision buying a BB in this era?

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Hey guys I am looking to buy a new mobile phone, for my mother, an entry level one. I will keep it short.

I need a phone with the following things:

- Great Built (it will be dropped, used badly, by me)

- Great Call Quality (LOW SAR)

- Specs don't matter. SD 818.5 or Exy 9579 all are same for this instance.

- A very good camera

- A replaceable battery, After Sales Service

- A company which doesn't come from a sewer (so Xaimia, Life, Fly, Bird, all those are out)

- My budget is only ₹10000, (+/- 5000 depending on the model).

Now I could get a bunch of crap which sells nowadays but like I mentioned above won't be getting those. But still there are phones like Zuk something, Moto G, this Samsung, that One Plus etc, but for whatever reasons I don't like them! I was thinking about grabbing one of them olden BlackBerries, Q10 like, built and call and company will be in check, but the camera, hmm!

So basically what I am asking is would it be so impractical to get it over nowadays' Android phones? I saw a listing on eBay for less than 9k even, which is kinda cool, I suppose.

Thanks in advance.

PS: BEGGING to trolls to stay away from this.

Many apps are removing support for BB OS, even BB moved to android. So buying a android phone is the logical thing

If a good camera is a must, then Moto G4 Plus is a good choice under 15k. Reviews say that it heats a lot while gaming. If its for your mom, that shouldn't be a issue

Cheaper option: Lenovo K5 Plus at 8.5k. Good build quality, ok camera & battery life

I think your mother will eventually appreciate full touch devices (My mom was also reluctant 2.5 years ago, now she is happy)

P.S. : SAR value of Q10 isn't low, its average

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Just go with Nokia Windows Phones.

Less hassle with software updates,
Smooth functioning,
Great Battery life.

In your budget you can get Nokia Lumia 710 @ 15k

Last edited:
OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Thanks Anupam.

I was reading reviews of Q10 on Amazon, and noticed someone saying that Android apks could be sideloaded on BB OS, is that true?

I am not sure how she will react to full touch screen phones, I mean she uses mine from time to time, but she is never comfortable, miss hitting this and that continuously, LOL, that's why thought about phone with hardware keyboards.

Also how good is the built of that Lenovo K5 Plus? It's kinda big too I suppose!

So confusing!

Sent from SM-N910G

Thanks Anupam.

I was reading reviews of Q10 on Amazon, and noticed someone saying that Android apks could be sideloaded on BB OS, is that true?

I am not sure how she will react to full touch screen phones, I mean she uses mine from time to time, but she is never comfortable, miss hitting this and that continuously, LOL, that's why thought about phone with hardware keyboards.

Also how good is the built of that Lenovo K5 Plus? It's kinda big too I suppose!

So confusing!

Sent from SM-N910G

For 8.5k, it seems to have a good build quality, metal body, which kind of gives it a premium feel

Nowadays mostly companies release 5.5" devices, only a few 5" options. So considering it is a 5" device, i think it will be a goo dchoice for your mom.

For even cheaper option you can buy Xiaomi Redmi 2 Prime which sells for 7k. It has a 4.7" screen & overall a good phone for price, with good camera & battery life for price (It will heat less compared to K5 plus)

Check the dimensions
Xiaomi Redmi 2 Prime vs. Lenovo Vibe K5 Plus - GSMArena.com

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
For 8.5k, it seems to have a good build quality, metal body, which kind of gives it a premium feel

Nowadays mostly companies release 5.5" devices, only a few 5" options. So considering it is a 5" device, i think it will be a goo dchoice for your mom.

For even cheaper option you can buy Xiaomi Redmi 2 Prime which sells for 7k. It has a 4.7" screen & overall a good phone for price, with good camera & battery life for price (It will heat less compared to K5 plus)

Check the dimensions
Xiaomi Redmi 2 Prime vs. Lenovo Vibe K5 Plus - GSMArena.com

If Xiaomi is your choice then wait a bit and go with Redmi 3A.

Link:Report: Xiaomi to launch Redmi 3A for RS 6,000 | Xiaomi Ninj

dissel

Cyborg Agent
I think Thread Owner already mentioned his first post he don't want any Xiaomi Device

ithehappy said:
- A company which doesn't come from a sewer (so Xaimia, Life, Fly, Bird, all those are out)

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz

Not all android apps work. My friend has the BB Z10 and none of the Taxi hailing apps such as Uber and Ola Cabs worked.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Ha ha, very amusing indeed, just the fact is that crap phone might outrun a company :lol:, I mean to whatever extent Xaiamai is a company anyway.

Please close the topic before any more idiocracy. Already thought about two or three phones, will get one from those.

lutenic

Broken In
I am a BB Z10 user for past 3 years. I have loved BB OS10 all this time. It is really efficient. But the problem with BB is the choice of H/w they mated with OS10. Most of the devices came with dual core processors which was just not enough for the OS10. Only the flagships like Passport and the new Android one came with powerful H/W.

BB is working on 2 new devices both of which are Android based and the OS10 had last system update in May or April 2015. Its better to leave the BB now.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
I am a BB Z10 user for past 3 years. I have loved BB OS10 all this time. It is really efficient. But the problem with BB is the choice of H/w they mated with OS10. Most of the devices came with dual core processors which was just not enough for the OS10. Only the flagships like Passport and the new Android one came with powerful H/W.

BB is working on 2 new devices both of which are Android based and the OS10 had last system update in May or April 2015. Its better to leave the BB now.
Okay, thanks for your input mate, appreciate it. There were three reasons I was considering the BlackBerry anyway. First because of their superb build quality, second because of great call quality (one of the best I found with Bold, Bold 2 etc.) and reception, and third because of Android APK compatibility. But now I see that not all Android apps are compatible, so that's a bummer. I don't like Android myself, but just going with the flow.

I just do not find any phone with good built, which can survive a drop or two or rough usage like old phones used to, this is really embarrassing. Whatever.

the.one

In the zone
Okay, thanks for your input mate, appreciate it. There were three reasons I was considering the BlackBerry anyway. First because of their superb build quality, second because of great call quality (one of the best I found with Bold, Bold 2 etc.) and reception, and third because of Android APK compatibility. But now I see that not all Android apps are compatible, so that's a bummer. I don't like Android myself, but just going with the flow.

I just do not find any phone with good built, which can survive a drop or two or rough usage like old phones used to, this is really embarrassing. Whatever.

Wait for Nokia / Blackberry to make Android phones. Then they will also charge great premium for just the build. :tongue_NF:

The Motos seemed close at having that sturdy build. Moto G3/G4 should be in ur list.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Wait for Nokia / Blackberry to make Android phones. Then they will also charge great premium for just the build. :tongue_NF:

The Motos seemed close at having that sturdy build. Moto G3/G4 should be in ur list.

I know. G3 Turbo is my first choice, then some Samsung entry level garbage, J5 or J7 (when I say it means different anyway), the reason I am a little holding back on the Moto is because of their pathetic service where I live!

Top Bottom