Alternative career options for IT Professionals

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
As I mentioned before, I wasn't so much passionate about Android app development.
Unfortunately jobs related to my passions or interests don't account for a permanent income. One of my interests and passion is to review new gadgets & write or share reviews like digit. Unfortunately in my locality no opportunities for such kind of jobs.
Btw, I would like to know if digit has any plans to open office in Trivandrum (which is the most feasible city I prefer for job) so that I may hope to get an opportunity for the job I like.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
As I mentioned before, I wasn't so much passionate about Android app development.
Unfortunately jobs related to my passions or interests don't account for a permanent income. One of my interests and passion is to review new gadgets & write or share reviews like digit. Unfortunately in my locality no opportunities for such kind of jobs.
Btw, I would like to know if digit has any plans to open office in Trivandrum (which is the most feasible city I prefer for job) so that I may hope to get an opportunity for the job I like.

You can start blog writing on these products as a side work, and if you get succesful in that, it means that you have the required skills. After that, you can use that as reference while applying job at any place like digit. That way you will earn the required experience to apply for such job.

Edit:- Happy New Year everyone.

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
*qr.ae/pNJZbT
*qr.ae/pNVlbk
The above 2 answers (& many) from Quora points the negative aspects of IT companies in India.
So before joining a company is there any way to know the company that I am going to work have taken any steps to solve the negatives (especially the deadline, long working hours, expecting the employees to be available 24x7) in a way without having a negative impression on me?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
For that you should try to ask employees who have actually worked there. Reviews on Glassdoor are not really reliable since employers these days ask employees to put favourable reviews.

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
For that you should try to ask employees who have actually worked there. Reviews on Glassdoor are not really reliable since employers these days ask employees to put favourable reviews.
One company is hosting an open house event (this time it is virtual Google meet) for participants who want to know more about the company, it's work environment, employees etc. Is it the right place to ask these? Can you please share tips to avoid having negative impression on me?

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
It's all subjective and based on what you want to know. There's not really any perfect question to ask.

Start with this : Good question to ask a potential employer at a job interview?

Then this : What kinds of questions should I ask a recruiter?

There are many avenues of asking be it technical or non technical and depends on the type of conversation that is ongoing.

Sent from my vivo 1807 using Tapatalk

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
I am facing another trouble. In my team one member who has some experience often have to take leave as she is pregnant and have to go for checkups & is not able to work due to physical discomforts related to it. Unexpected frequent leaves can affect work schedule & the company has become stricter in deadlines.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I am facing another trouble. In my team one member who has some experience often have to take leave as she is pregnant and have to go for checkups & is not able to work due to physical discomforts related to it. Unexpected frequent leaves can affect work schedule & the company has become stricter in deadlines.

Lol. This happens occasionally. But it is to be expected.

I'd suggest you do some soul-searching and see how much effort are you putting into this company. If you think that the pressure is not justified for the amount of effort you are putting, then I think it's best if you start looking for another job.

Edit: What I meant is, switch companies. Remember that management won't know about your problems unless you speak to someone in management about it.

Last edited:

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
it's the way of life. Nothing for the lady to be put on stress about. Neither you or her are at fault. Take it to management and see if they say. And as @Desmond David says, don't let it drain you completely.

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
Currently projects are at peak in my present company. If I apply for a job in a company & they call for an interview I have to take leave or permission to attend the interviews. If I am selected it is ok, but else I have to face the present company again & might have more pressure. How to deal this situation?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Currently projects are at peak in my present company. If I apply for a job in a company & they call for an interview I have to take leave or permission to attend the interviews. If I am selected it is ok, but else I have to face the present company again & might have more pressure. How to deal this situation?

Just set it as a personal leave, dude... no company can make you stay like a slave. Taking personal leaves is your right.
if that doesnt work out, set it to medical leave.

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
Just set it as a personal leave, dude... no company can make you stay like a slave. Taking personal leaves is your right.
if that doesnt work out, set it to medical leave.
In my present company, only 1 eligible leave per month & I have already taken 1 this month.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
In my present company, only 1 eligible leave per month & I have already taken 1 this month.

I think this is no place to discuss on this.
We can't have any solution for this, you too have to work with her.

Just plan workload, don't assign her critical modules and that way.

Nerevarine

Incarnate

You have to plan a leave when you are called for an interview. Weekends prepare your skills..

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
You can start blog writing on these products as a side work, and if you get succesful in that, it means that you have the required skills. After that, you can use that as reference while applying job at any place like digit. That way you will earn the required experience to apply for such job.

Edit:- Happy New Year everyone.
*www.stoodnt.com/blog/alternative-careers-it-software-professionals-india/
This link suggests IT bloging/Technical Writing as one alternative jobs for software professionals. Is this job same also like the one I mentioned I like to work (technology consultant & reviewing gadgets)? What about salary range for these jobs? How do I start to get into here?

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
This link suggests IT bloging/Technical Writing as one alternative jobs for software professionals. Is this job same also like the one I mentioned I like to work (technology consultant & reviewing gadgets)? What about salary range for these jobs? How do I start to get into here?

It is simillar, in the form that here you will be your own boss. I dont exactly know the payscale.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin

Technical writing is also a technical job. You have to understand the product you are writing about, almost at the same level as a QA engineer. You will then be responsible for writing documentation, tutorials, guides, etc. You will still have to write code to make sure that the code snippets you write in your posts are working correctly. So, it's still a developers job just that you will be spending more time writing documents.

Don't be an independent tech blogger, the risk is too high.

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
I have applied for a job a multinational company. I got a general acknowledgement reply for the same (they always send it to whoever send resume). But so far no response from them. Till now it is the most reputed organization in my locality. I need to know whether there is any chance for me to get called for an interview before applying to other companies. What is the right way to ask them whether they have selected to call me for interview?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Make an account on Naukri dot com and upload your resume there. I'd also suggest creating a new email account because your inbox will be full of job offers.

Top Bottom