Alternative career options for IT Professionals

soorajdigit

I am 29 years old & currently working as an Android app developer for more than 3 years. I am not so much passionate about it. I learnt it then because I have basic Java knowledge & so thought it would be easy to learn compared to others. But many unexpected problems are there here like device specific issues, client pressures, issues from 3rd party libraries (I have heard that even classes provided by Google itself have issues), no idea to develop advanced UIs functionalities.

Now I had lost interest in my field of work & just working to prevent being unemployed for income.

What are the alternate career options for me for a tension free work?

Desmond David

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
tension free work
I don't think there is any IT career where you will not have tension. I am 31 and working ~9 years in software development/IT and I have worked on good projects and abysmally worst projects.

IMO generally "tension-free" is a function of management more than anything else and a little bit on your personal skill and disposition as well.

Failures in management such as underestimating the efforts required when promising delivery to clients or lack of addressing dependencies on efforts, etc adds debt that will cause problems later for everyone. In a chain of command, upper management will pressurize supervisors and team leads to deliver and they will put pressure on developers under them which can result in longer working hours or rework. The pressure you have is actually not as much as the pressure your supervisors experience. In such cases, I'd personally speak with the supervisor about the work pressure (if they seem approachable) otherwise best switch to another employer. Note that you don't owe the company anything and that you deserve a good working environment as well.

As for technical challenges, it's more of getting used to the idiosyncrasies of the tools/libraries. As frustrating as it may seem, your skill and experience using them is still valuable and knowing when to use them is what gives value to your career. But it's okay to be bored of them as well, in such a case I'd suggest taking up some different skill that you can also use. For example, if you already know Android development, try to learn how to create a REST-ful web service that you can consume from an Android app or learn something like Ionic or Cordova to build apps using web technologies. Just take up course from sites like Udemy and learn it in your spare time. While you can take up anything I would not recommend taking up some skill very different from your core competency because such a skill would not help your career.

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I am 29 years old & currently working as an Android app developer for more than 3 years. I am not so much passionate about it. I learnt it then because I have basic Java knowledge & so thought it would be easy to learn compared to others. But many unexpected problems are there here like device specific issues, client pressures, issues from 3rd party libraries (I have heard that even classes provided by Google itself have issues), no idea to develop advanced UIs functionalities.

Now I had lost interest in my field of work & just working to prevent being unemployed for income.

What are the alternate career options for me for a tension free work?
There is no tension free work anywhere.

If your work is not giving you challenges (or tension) then you are doing some mundane work.

Also, switching career midway may not help you. Why don't you work on this?
"no idea to develop advanced UIs functionalities"

You've recognized a gap there, why not enhance this?!

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
advertising, marketing, PR, journalism... these fields are easy to get into if you have the necessary skills, and many of the people working here come from very diverse academic backgrounds, not necessarily directly related to the profession. But the background helps, for example an app developer in a PR firm with apps as clients has an advantage over those who cannot code.

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
@Desmond David would you suggest learning web development technologies like React or Angular and can it be implemented in android apps Is it similar to REST ful web service?

Desmond David

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
@Desmond David would you suggest learning web development technologies like React or Angular
Yes. But note that Google is planning on deprecating Angular. So it's best to go with React right now for front end development. Another good framework is Vue.js
and can it be implemented in android apps Is it similar to REST ful web service?
I didn't understand your question. Angular/React, etc are front end frameworks and they are not related to RESTful web services. But if you mean developing android apps using Angular or React then yes, you can do that. Look up Apache Cordova or Ionic Framework. These will create what we call hybrid apps.

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
Yes. But note that Google is planning on deprecating Angular. So it's best to go with React right now for front end development. Another good framework is Vue.js

I didn't understand your question. Angular/React, etc are front end frameworks and they are not related to RESTful web services. But if you mean developing android apps using Angular or React then yes, you can do that. Look up Apache Cordova or Ionic Framework. These will create what we call hybrid apps.
i mean i see a trend in recent android apps based on web services like mostly when you open such android app they are like web pages and web pages can be based on react.