All-rounder Intel-based PC for 80K needed

romit

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')

I work about three days from home so the main purpose is to use this as a primary home office PC with a secondary use to use this as a gaming PC. I'm a fan of BF3, Civ 5 and will buy BF4 when it comes out later this year. I dual boot between Linux and Win7. Today, I normally play games on my PS3, but in the near future I might shift my gaming pursuits back to the PC and wait it out till the next generation consoles get cheaper :)

Also a few other points to add:
- Since I plan to use it for work, I'm particular of its performance and quality and willing to pay for them.
- My room is usually not airconditioned, and I stay in Mumbai so I'd like a system cools well.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.

3. Planning to overclock?
Not in the beginning

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Linux/Win dual boot

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
2 x 1 TB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
To start with, 1 monitor. I was considering BenQ 18.5 inch LED - GL950A

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Don't need a UPS, a printer, speakers

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Right away. My room and desk have been remodeled and am picking up a good chair tomorrow! All that's left is my PC..

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Does building one in 1995 count? I'll be happy to build one.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
I live in Mumbai. I've shopped at PrimeABGB and am open to other stores including online. I also have a "Lam Road Boy" who is eager to sell me stuff...

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
- I would place a premium on cabinet with respect to performance, sober looks, dust protection and silent cooling performance. I'm told the corsair 400R is a decent choice. I'm wondering if it is worth getting extra fan/s?
- Since my budget is not for a premium gaming, I am ok buying a reasonable graphics card and then replacing it in a year or so with a higher end one (maybe in time for BF4! :))
- Also, I plan to have a SSD + HD combination but am hoping to have a friend buy the SSD from the US when he comes over.
- Also, it would be nice to add a second monitor down the line -- not for gaming but for work so hoping my current config can handle the extra monitor.
- Finally, my Lamy Road Boy has been trying to "sell" me an Intel Mobo (Intel DZ77BH-55K) claiming that it's a low profile card but has solid reliability. A quick survey of online reviews has painted a not-very encouraging story about that card. Is he trying to pull a fast one on me??

Thanks a lot, guys

Cilus

laborare est orare
AMD FX-8350 @ 12K
MSI 990FXA-GD65 @ 8.3K
G-Skill RipjawX 8GB X 1 1600 MHz DDR3 @ 4.4K
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache (ST1000DM003) @ 4K
Seasonic S12II 620 80+ Bronze PSU @ 5.2K
Corsair Carbide 400R Cabinet @ 4.8K
MSI GTX 770 N770 TF 2GD5/OC 2 GB GDDR5 @ 32.3K
Dell S2240L 21.5" IPS Panel Full HD (1920X1080) LED @ 8.5K
Lenovo M6811 1600 DPI 5 Btn Gaming Mouse @ 0.65K
Logitech K200 Keyboard @ 0.4K
Asus 24X DVD Writer @ 1K

Total: 80.3K

OP
R

romit

Broken In
AMD FX-8350 @ 12K
MSI 990FXA-GD65 @ 8.3K
G-Skill RipjawX 8GB X 1 1600 MHz DDR3 @ 4.4K
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache (ST1000DM003) @ 4K
Seasonic S12II 620 80+ Bronze PSU @ 5.2K
Corsair Carbide 400R Cabinet @ 4.8K
MSI GTX 770 N770 TF 2GD5/OC 2 GB GDDR5 @ 32.3K
Dell S2240L 21.5" IPS Panel Full HD (1920X1080) LED @ 8.5K
Lenovo M6811 1600 DPI 5 Btn Gaming Mouse @ 0.65K
Logitech K200 Keyboard @ 0.4K
Asus 24X DVD Writer @ 1K

Total: 80.3K

Cilus,
Thanks for this!
Since this may not be primarily for gaming at the time of current build, I may prefer to get a basic graphics card and divert the savings to perhaps the cpu and motherboard. Maybe go Intel. If so, what's a good configuration.

TheHumanBot

Padawan
posting just for feedback do not buy this i'm sure i made mistakes.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor 15k
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard 15k
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory 4.8k
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 4.9k
Video Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card 16.8k
Case: Corsair Carbide 400R Cabinet 4.8K
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply 5.4k
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer 1.2k
Monitor: Dell S2240L 21.5 inch LED Backlit LCD Monitor (Black) 9.5k
Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech Keyboard plus Gaming Mouse 1.5k
Total: 78900

ankush28

Bazinga
change...
hdd with wd blue 1tb - 3.9k
graphic card with gigabyte 7970 windforce - 27k
mobo with Asus gryphon or cheaper one - 13k

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^Ankush, I think the Gigabyte HD 7970 card is not available any more in smcinternational. Since the purpose of this rig is not solely gaming, Op can opt for GTX 760 from Zotac at 20K.

Now regarding choice of Processor, I think going for a i5 4670K is not an update over AMD-FX-8350, specially in apps like Video Encoding, running Server OS, using compression software like 7Z. Check here: AnandTech | Bench - CPU and you will find out apart from Gaming, FX-8350 is ahead in maximum number of benchmarks and real life applications due to having 8 Physical cores and multi-threaded nature of modern day applications. Since you are going to use Linux, check some Linux benchmark of FX-8350 where it challenges the bigger i7 3770K due to proper thread management in Linux, a thing still missing in WIn 7 and Win 8.
So basically by spending (16-12)= 4K extra for Processor and (13-8) =5K extra for Motherboard, you are not actually getting any real performance increase but getting lower performance in a lot of areas. So decide accordingly.

OP
R

romit

Broken In
^^Ankush, I think the Gigabyte HD 7970 card is not available any more in smcinternational. Since the purpose of this rig is not solely gaming, Op can opt for GTX 760 from Zotac at 20K.

Now regarding choice of Processor, I think going for a i5 4670K is not an update over AMD-FX-8350, specially in apps like Video Encoding, running Server OS, using compression software like 7Z. Check here: AnandTech | Bench - CPU and you will find out apart from Gaming, FX-8350 is ahead in maximum number of benchmarks and real life applications due to having 8 Physical cores and multi-threaded nature of modern day applications. Since you are going to use Linux, check some Linux benchmark of FX-8350 where it challenges the bigger i7 3770K due to proper thread management in Linux, a thing still missing in WIn 7 and Win 8.
So basically by spending (16-12)= 4K extra for Processor and (13-8) =5K extra for Motherboard, you are not actually getting any real performance increase but getting lower performance in a lot of areas. So decide accordingly.

Thanks Cilus, I was looking for an Intel-based system but now I might give AMD a second look after your comment.
Also, yes, I plan to stagger my investments and hope to buy a good graphics card later on, maybe in a year so I would like a cheaper graphics card, maybe in the range of 10-15K. What should I go for? for both cases -- an Intel-based or an AMD-based

Cilus

laborare est orare
At 13K, get Asus GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB OC version from here: ON SALE! - ASUS GRAPHICS CARD GTX 650 TI 2GB DDR5 BOOST OC - Rs.12,999 - GRAPHICS CARD - WELCOME TO MDCOMPUTERS ::::::::::The Ultimate IT Solutions::::::::::.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Are you not finding the exact specifications you need or going out of budget while choosing? Here we are, your helping hand, a ray of hope. Gaming Chairs help you get a vibrant and comfortable experience in gaming. Don’t worry! Now let’s dive deep into the ocean of Gaming Chairs and find the best you may have. Let’s Begin!
1. X ROCKER 51396 PRO SERIES PEDESTAL 2.1 VIDEO
2. X ROCKER 51259 PRO H3 4.1 AUDIO
3. MICHAEL ANTHONY FURNITURE X-ROCKER PRO
4. FORTNITE OMEGA-R GAMING ROCKER CHAIR
5. X ROCKER 51092 SPIDER 2.1 WIRELESS WITH VIBRATION
Reported for necrobumping and spamming.

Top Bottom