All laptop related queries here!!!

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
Visited the Acer service center after raising a service request (Customer Care was terrible). They did their diagnostics, un-install/re-install the drivers but no good.
Told me it would be a full Motherboard replacement. Will take a few days for the board to come. Oh well no gaming for a few days.
Update:
Got the replacement Motherboard for my laptop today, and everything working fine for now.
I'm gonna put the problem as a faulty part/motherboard, but the problem occurring after 9 months of heavy gaming use I am feeling a little skeptical if it could happen again.
Temperatures during gaming were 92 for cpu and 86 for gpu max, which I think are OK for gaming. Never experienced any performance drop due to thermal throttling when gaming. And I keep the laptop in an elevated position for better air flow. The service guy did say about getting it serviced every 6 months and I did to it once when upgrading RAM/SSD.
Or am I just overthinking here.
Untitled1.jpg

Update:
Got the replacement Motherboard for my laptop today, and everything working fine for now.
I'm gonna put the problem as a faulty part/motherboard, but the problem occurring after 9 months of heavy gaming use I am feeling a little skeptical if it could happen again.
Temperatures during gaming were 92 for cpu and 86 for gpu max, which I think are OK for gaming. Never experienced any performance drop due to thermal throttling when gaming. And I keep the laptop in an elevated position for better air flow. The service guy did say about getting it serviced every 6 months and I did to it once when upgrading RAM/SSD.
Or am I just overthinking here.
View attachment 21927
86C is the throttling limit for Nvidia GPUs & 90C+ is also not considered good, esp for average temps. If these are max temps with lower avg temps, it should be fine.

Look into GPU UV + underclocking (using MSI afterburner voltage curve editor) to reduce GPU temps, which will help with reducing CPU temps as well. I lost 10% performance but dropped my old laptop's GPU from 80W to 65W, which helped with 5C lower temps on both CPU & GPU (shared heatpipes).

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
So the max clock speed for the 3050 is 1530MHz base and 1740MHz boost at 80W according to here
Look into GPU UV + underclocking (using MSI afterburner voltage curve editor) to reduce GPU temps, which will help with reducing CPU temps as well.
Running a benchmark:
Untitled2.png
So I'm to change the curve to run stable at 1600MHz or at the base clock @875mV?

mayur gaikwad

SUPPORT OPEN SOURCE
Just burned out my Asus laptop (1050Ti graphics). Looking to buy new laptop ,one with good thermals. Range between 120k to 150k.

Any recommendations?

Just burned out my Asus laptop (1050Ti graphics). Looking to buy new laptop ,one with good thermals. Range between 120k to 150k.

Any recommendations?
HP OMEN Ryzen 7 Octa Core AMD R7-6800H - (16 GB/512 GB SSD/Windows 11 Home/8 GB Graphics/AMD Radeon RX 6650M/144 Hz) 16-n0079AX Gaming Laptop Rs.124283 Price in India - Buy HP OMEN Ryzen 7 Octa Core AMD R7-6800H - (16 GB/512 GB SSD/Windows 11 Home/8 GB Graphics/AMD Radeon RX 6650M/144 Hz) 16-n0079AX Gaming Laptop Mica Silver Online - HP : Flipkart.com

Get extended warranty from HP & buy a stand like this:

Amazon.in

Sometimes Legion 5 with R7 5800H + 3060 is like 115k, that's a better choice.
*www.amazon.in/Lenovo-39-62cm-Windows-Stingray-82JU018YIN/dp/B09Y5VRMRH
This was 115k during main sale.

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
Got the GPU down to 1440MHz @800mV stable. Temps have gone down 5-6 degrees. No significant change in performance.
For now haven't gone under that, will try getting it down some more later and see.
Untitled3.jpg

mayur gaikwad

SUPPORT OPEN SOURCE
HP OMEN Ryzen 7 Octa Core AMD R7-6800H - (16 GB/512 GB SSD/Windows 11 Home/8 GB Graphics/AMD Radeon RX 6650M/144 Hz) 16-n0079AX Gaming Laptop Rs.124283 Price in India - Buy HP OMEN Ryzen 7 Octa Core AMD R7-6800H - (16 GB/512 GB SSD/Windows 11 Home/8 GB Graphics/AMD Radeon RX 6650M/144 Hz) 16-n0079AX Gaming Laptop Mica Silver Online - HP : Flipkart.com

Amazon.in

Even I was thinking Legion 5 but are th

Amazon.in

Only thing I am concerned about is good thermals and fans. Is HP omen any good, especially this one Amazon.in

Even I was thinking Legion 5 but are th

Only thing I am concerned about is good thermals and fans. Is HP omen any good, especially this one Amazon.in
Omen has good thermals, but at 120k+ Omen is bad choice as Legion has better performance due to a higher power limit on CPU (50W vs 35W, I think) & GPU (115W vs 100W) + MUX switch which helps with gaming, so adds up to about 10% higher fps or sometimes more.

6800H is barely 10% better than 5800H for CPU-intensive tasks, don't expect any noticeable difference in gaming performance. 3060 is similar in performance to RX 6600, but lacks DLSS or RT. IMO DLSS at 1080p is not that good & RT is not usable at such weak GPUs.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
is AMD Ryzen 7 6800H Mobile Processor good for gaming ?
found this good deal on amazon.
*www.amazon.in/ASUS-7-6800H-RTX-306...ed-search-5&pf_rd_t=101&qid=1668506016&sr=8-9

They could have addded 3070 @140k

is AMD Ryzen 7 6800H Mobile Processor good for gaming ?
found this good deal on amazon.
*www.amazon.in/ASUS-7-6800H-RTX-306...ed-search-5&pf_rd_t=101&qid=1668506016&sr=8-9

They could have addded 3070 @140k
IMO you will barely even see a 5% fps improvement over 5800H. So, most Ryzen 6000 & Intel 13th gen laptops are expensive for gaming.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Why only few recommending Dell laptop? Is there any serious issue in India or they are costlier than ASUS or Lenovo ...
Price and availability. Models are few and far in between with pricing not the most attractive. ASUS for example has models all over the range. Same for HP and lenovo.

Also, not sure how good Dell service is. Heard some bad stories back in the day

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Price and availability. Models are few and far in between with pricing not the most attractive. ASUS for example has models all over the range. Same for HP and lenovo.

Also, not sure how good Dell service is. Heard some bad stories back in the day
I can assure you current asus laptop build quality as well as after sales support is just about avg in best case scenario(I have a 6 years old asus laptop with almost 45k hours of usage & a latest disastrous asus laptop purchase so I know what I am talking about). One thing I will say about asus laptop nowadays is, never buy asus laptop without buying ADP & don't take laptop to their service centre until you receive email confirmation of ADP issued successfully.
@invisiblebond

BhargavJ

In the zone
I have a 2014 Dell laptop, with an HDD. I used to think SSDs are too costly but recently, while checking the price for SD cards, I found that the Crucial BX500 500GB 2.5-inch SSD costs Rs. 2379 (a 128 GB SD card by comparison costs around 1K). I checked the Crucial site and used their scanner tool to check my computer, and it said the SATA SSD I mentioned above is supported.

I have learned that some SSDs have something called DRAM which gives improved performance, but these are costly. The Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB is 4.5K, almost double the Crucial one. I don't really need the computer to be ultra fast; I use it mainly for browsing and watching movies. So should I get the BX500, or should I get one with DRAM?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a 2014 Dell laptop, with an HDD. I used to think SSDs are too costly but recently, while checking the price for SD cards, I found that the Crucial BX500 500GB 2.5-inch SSD costs Rs. 2379 (a 128 GB SD card by comparison costs around 1K). I checked the Crucial site and used their scanner tool to check my computer, and it said the SATA SSD I mentioned above is supported.

I have learned that some SSDs have something called DRAM which gives improved performance, but these are costly. The Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB is 4.5K, almost double the Crucial one. I don't really need the computer to be ultra fast; I use it mainly for browsing and watching movies. So should I get the BX500, or should I get one with DRAM?
Get Crucial MX500 500gb ssd for around 3200 from amazon. For just Rs.800 more you will get a dram ssd which will be faster in everything & most importantly will not slow down while transferring large files with total size over 50gb or when ssd is almost 80-90% filled. Also, 850 Evo is quite old model & not even manufactured anymore, I think you meant 870 evo.

BhargavJ

In the zone
Get Crucial MX500 500gb ssd for around 3200 from amazon. For just Rs.800 more you will get a dram ssd which will be faster in everything & most importantly will not slow down while transferring large files with total size over 50gb or when ssd is almost 80-90% filled. Also, 850 Evo is quite old model & not even manufactured anymore, I think you meant 870 evo.

I thought all SSDs get slower if they are 90% full, and not just DRAM less SSDs.

Top Bottom