All laptop related queries here!!!

sohan_92

In the zone
Going by the specifications alone, I'd say it is overpriced. Plus its from Acer, which isn't known to have good build quality, at least in India that is.
And I thought it is cheap with this configuration, well atleast in India.

Thanks for the suggestion btw.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
I have 2GB dedicated graphics card Geforce 920M but it is appearing in Device Manager in hidden list. On dxdiag it's showing Intel HD Graphics as the display adapter. My question is whether Nvidia is being used or not? How to confirm it?
Laptop is Dell Inspiron 5558.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
I have uninstalled Graphics driver and trying to reinstall latest driver Version 385.41 Geforce 920M but now it is saying The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
All laptops have switchable graphics now which means installation of graphics drivers is not a simple procedure.I think somehow your optimus(name for nvidia+intel switchable graphics) configuration was messed up.First of all intel driver needs to be installed first & then only you should install nvidia driver.Also depending on your laptop manufacturer latest nvidia drivers may or may not be compatible with your laptop(see laptop driver release notes/requirements). Safest option is to use both intel & nvidia drivers from laptop manufacturers website & once optimus is up & running then only you should experiment with updated intel & nvidia drivers.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
I have 2GB dedicated graphics card Geforce 920M but it is appearing in Device Manager in hidden list. On dxdiag it's showing Intel HD Graphics as the display adapter. My question is whether Nvidia is being used or not? How to confirm it?
Laptop is Dell Inspiron 5558.

You can use the Nvidia Control Panel to set the game to use the dedicated graphics card .

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
I've downloaded driver from Dell website after entering Service Tag but the same error is showing while installing as above. It seems I've encountered some serious error.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Use DDU(display driver uninstaller) to completely remove all traces of nvidia/amd from system:
Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) Download & Support - Wagnardsoft Forum
Remember to run DDU in safe mode.Once it is finished,restart & then in normal mode,in windows device manager there should be a nvidia graphics device(maybe with exclamation mark).Once it is confirmed that device manager is showing both intel & nvidia devices then only you should try installing latest nvidia driver from dell site.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Use DDU(display driver uninstaller) to completely remove all traces of nvidia/amd from system:
Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) Download & Support - Wagnardsoft Forum
Remember to run DDU in safe mode.Once it is finished,restart & then in normal mode,in windows device manager there should be a nvidia graphics device(maybe with exclamation mark).Once it is confirmed that device manager is showing both intel & nvidia devices then only you should try installing latest nvidia driver from dell site.
Device Manager is showing NVIDIA GEFORCE 920M in display adapter alongwith Intel HD Graphics 6000 but it appears under "Show hidden devices" in the View menu option.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
I have uninstalled by running Clean and restart option in DDU. But now nvidia is not showing in Device Manager even in Hidden list. Also, I''m getting the same error upon installing the driver that it could not detect compatible hardware.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is also a chance that nvidia card may be damaged.If laptop is still under warranty & even reinstalling OS doesn't help then get it checked at service centre.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
OS installed is Windows 10, I don't have a DVD. From where shall I install it? Also, I don't want to lose my data , is there a way?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you meant setup dvd then you can download win 10 setup directly from MS using their Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.However before that you can try reset option which should keep the files though settings & apps will be lost.
How to Reset Your Windows 10 PC

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
If you meant setup dvd then you can download win 10 setup directly from MS using their Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.However before that you can try reset option which should keep the files though settings & apps will be lost.
How to Reset Your Windows 10 PC
Resetting the PC didn't help. Still getting the same error. Its worrying me as it is out of warranty, and its happening again, this is my second laptop, my first one was also a dell and it also had NVidia graphics card and that too failed after one year.
Also, I didn't played heavily on this laptop in its of 1.5 years of existence.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
Resetting the PC didn't help. Still getting the same error. Its worrying me as it is out of warranty, and its happening again, this is my second laptop, my first one was also a dell and it also had NVidia graphics card and that too failed after one year.
Also, I didn't played heavily on this laptop in its of 1.5 years of existence.
Can you try installing a different OS like windows 7 and try ? I know it's too much hassle but worth a try. My wifi card stopped detecting after a driver update. When I upgraded to Windows 10, the OS got hold of a working driver and my wifi started working again. So it may not be a hardware failure but just a driver/OS issue.

Top Bottom