All laptop related queries here!!!

ravi847

Journeyman
Hello can someone tell me if it is possible for me to replace my laptop's HDD with an SSD. My laptop model is Lenovo IdeaPad 500S-14ISK 80Q3005AIN.

vito scalleta

In the zone
Hello can someone tell me if it is possible for me to replace my laptop's HDD with an SSD. My laptop model is Lenovo IdeaPad 500S-14ISK 80Q3005AIN.
Yes you can. Is ur lap still under warranty ? How much are u planning to spend on the ssd.. ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

ravi847

Journeyman
Yes you can. Is ur lap still under warranty ? How much are u planning to spend on the ssd.. ?

My laptop is out of warranty..I am planning to buy samsung 850 EVO 250GB. Is it a good buy?
Also how can I use my internal hdd of the laptop as an external hdd?

Last edited:

vito scalleta

In the zone
My laptop is out of warranty..I am planning to buy samsung 850 EVO 250GB. Is it a good buy?
Also how can I use my internal hdd of the laptop as an external hdd?

Yes Samsung 850 evo is a great drive if you r willing to spend the cash. There are cheaper options out there that make some sacrifice with respect to reliability and performance but are still decent enough for everyday usage.
And with regards to re-using your internal hdd, you have two options:
- Replace your cd/dvd drive with an hdd adapter and place your hdd there. this helps if you dont use your dvd drive anymore and want more than just 250gb of storage.
- Else you can take out the hdd and place it in a external hdd enclosure (it is highly recommended that u go with a one that has usb 3.0). This way u can use ur internal hdd like anyother external hdd.

ravi847

Journeyman
Guys can I use this sata to usb cable to connect samsung 850 evo to laptop for drive cloning?
GOOD QUALITY RANZ External 2.5 " inch Sata Casing HARD Disk Drive Usb portable HDD CASE Enclosure for Laptop- Black:Amazon:Computers & Accessorie

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Hello Guys!! Finally I am in a unique situation which I can post here to ask for help.

I have a few years old Lenovo Ideapad Y500 and unsurprisingly, its HDD is dying, so I am in need of another HDD. Here comes the bonus : My brother promised to buy me a SSD if i could complete a project for him. So I guess I'll have a SSD in few months as well.

Now this laptop has ULTRABAY feature meaning you can remove the DVD drive n replace it with HDD caddy for additional storage. As I hardly use the DVD drive, I am gonna put it to good use!!

So these are my options:

1. Buy New HDD and replace it the dying one, then later replace it with SSD (terrible choice, waste of at least 1 HDD)
  2. Buy new HDD and replace it the dying one, then buy mSATA SSD and add it to mSATA slot (not bad but waste of money in mSATA SSD)
  3. Buy new HDD with HDD caddy, switch the dying one to caddy and place the new HDD in primary slot. What to do with SSD?

What to do??

Bonus Questions
Is buying mSATA SSD future proof??
Apart from HDD dying, what are the things that may break down in old Laptops??

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Cooling. Dust. Outdated os softwares. Battery and charger. WiFi Bluetooth (rare cases). These are common problems.

Replace dying HDD with good HDD.
If storage space is concerned then HDD is good for it.
If you want only SSD with big storage there is SSHD. Check it.
SSDs also die. So be careful.
I think you should buy SSD and HDD both. 100GB SSD and 1-2TB HDD will do.
Software and system on SSD and other storage on HDD.
You may need optical drive even if it's useless.
Try mSATA SSD. Future proof? Don't know. [MENTION=105611]bssunilreddy[/MENTION]

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Cooling. Dust. Outdated os softwares. Battery and charger. WiFi Bluetooth (rare cases). These are common problems.
Battery is the only concerning things!! Others are irrelevant of easily fixable!!

TigerKing said:
Replace dying HDD with good HDD.
Yep!!

TigerKing said:
If storage space is concerned then HDD is good for it.
Yeah.. I forgot to mention, I have a Ext HDD that's almost full!! So yeah more storage is always a good option!!

TigerKing said:
If you want only SSD with big storage there is SSHD. Check it.
Will check it out!!

TigerKing said:
SSDs also die. So be careful.
Yes.. I am aware of that!!

TigerKing said:
I think you should buy SSD and HDD both. 100GB SSD and 1-2TB HDD will do.
What about faster rpm HDD?? will it significantly be faster than older one??

TigerKing said:
Software and system on SSD and other storage on HDD.
That would be a ideal solution!!

TigerKing said:
You may need optical drive even if it's useless.
I am not gonna throw away the DVD drive, with Ultra Bay, its like a 10 Second Switch!!

TigerKing said:
Try mSATA SSD. Future proof? Don't know. [MENTION=105611]bssunilreddy[/MENTION]

Yes that's what my concern with mSATA!! Are still laptops coming with mSATA?? I heard there are different mSATA formats?? Since my laptop is old, that mSATA SSD would be a waste!!

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
RPM matters for many gaming titles. And 7200 RPM is overall good.
5400 rpm WD blue is performs better than 7200 rpm Seagate barracuda. (But there are newer versions available 2015, 2016. Can't say which is better)

There are two things affected by the RPM of a drive.
Seek time - on avarage a 7200 rpm drive will spend less time waiting for the head to reach the sector on the disk it needs to read.
Transfer rate - the speed data passes the read head.
There are two factors that effect this, the RPM of the drive and the density of the data on the disk.

Number of bits in 1 rotation = hdd speed
So for performance, you can
1. Increase spindle speed
or
2. Decrease spindle speed and double the bit density for 1 rotation.

mSATA is old. New Gen is m.2
Solid-state drive - Wikipedi
M.2 - Wikipedi

denhot

Broken In
I have a Lenovo Yoga 500 14, in warranty/accidental damage protection and I would like to upgrade to a SSD.
I already have a brand new samsung 750 evo 250 GB lying around.
I do not want to void my warranty (Laptop Hardrive bay has sticker seal)

Anyone having experience of the same especially from Lenovo and any idea of the charges? or if they would do it for me, or if I could do it on my own. Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Lenovo laptop prices = MRP

*forum.digit.in/attachment.php?attachmentid=16799&d=1493016813
*forum.digit.in/attachment.php?attachmentid=16800&d=1493016833

IMG_20170424_090123.jpg
IMG_20170424_090055.jpg

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Yep. Prices are high.. and also it's MRP.

So they may provide discounts and price may vary.

Doubling the price and then providing marginal discounts is common practice of looting customers for any "gaming" device these days in India.

MRP should've been limited to 110% of the USA price, ie. 1100$ or 70k and even then getting a 1050ti laptop for 900$ (58k) would be much better.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Doubling the price and then providing marginal discounts is common practice of looting customers for any "gaming" device these days in India.

MRP should've been limited to 110% of the USA price, ie. 1100$ or 70k and even then getting a 1050ti laptop for 900$ (58k) would be much better.

lowest price is 62k for MSI laptop with 960Mx GPU.
Someone suggested me before..

hannibal2469

Journeyman
Can anyone recommend a good windows laptop below 40K? It doesn't need to have a discrete graphics card, integrated gpu should be enough. The primary use would be browsing, video watching and other light use.

Top Bottom