All computers now under govt. watch

Flash

Lost in speed
The Ministry of Home Affairs on Thursday issued an order authorising 10 Central agencies to intercept, monitor, and decrypt “any information generated, transmitted, received or stored in any computer.”

The agencies are the Intelligence Bureau, Narcotics Control Bureau, Enforcement Directorate, Central Board of Direct Taxes, Directorate of Revenue Intelligence, Central Bureau of Investigation; National Investigation Agency, Cabinet Secretariat (R&AW), Directorate of Signal Intelligence (For service areas of Jammu & Kashmir, North-East and Assam only) and Commissioner of Police, Delhi.

According to the order, the subscriber or service provider or any person in charge of the computer resource will be bound to extend all facilities and technical assistance to the agencies and failing to do will invite seven-year imprisonment and fine.

The MHA gave the authorisation under 69 (1) of the Information Technology Act, 2000 which says that the Central government can direct any agency after it is satisfied that it is necessary or expedient to do so in the “interest of the sovereignty or integrity of India, defence of India, security of the state, friendly relations with foreign states or public order or for preventing incitement to the commission of any cognizable offence relating to above or for investigation of any offence.”

Source: All computers now under govt. watch

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
What the actual f***!?
Like seriously, we are turning in to f***ing China. WTF is wrong with the govt.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Comments in the article
Common people would not worry about this as
Affecting the liberty of them as long as they are not doing any criminal activity.Criminals would worry and would try to vote against BJP
Or would go unknown countries.
T. 80

These people are the most foolish people in the entire world. No wonder a law like this gets passed. Politicians are basically a reflection of the society.
But anwyay IT department is a joke compared to US. US with it's NSA/CIA program couldnt do it roperly, do you really think India could pull mass surveilance of computers? I doubt that.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I doubt any agency in India can break encryption. No wonder the govt. is actually against higher forms of encryption.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
Glad it isn't as bad as the recent law in Australia.

Link -Australia passes ‘dangerous’ anti-encryption law after bipartisan compromise

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Though I am not overly concerned, I still feel we need to start using VPNs just to be safe.

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
Though I am not overly concerned, I still feel we need to start using VPNs just to be safe.
Won't the Govt ask the agencies to inquire VPN providers to provide the customers data in the name of Nation security?
*www.quora.com/What-type-of-data-do-VPN-providers-collect-during-their-users-VPN-session

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
I am more afraid of how much latency it will introduce while accessing sites. BSNL network already had trouble accessing http sites.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Home Ministry order goes much beyond mere telephone tapping: 1) Content streams are much richer, pervasive and personal. 2) Phrasing of, “intercept” in the rules includes traffic diversion. May permit code injections and malware attacks.

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
Wonder what ramifications will this announcement have on Banking & Healthcare industry, where customer's data is of utmost importance and the leakage/theft will have severe consequences.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
What if someone bribes an official who has access ? Anyone can then have access to this legally. If a Pak spy bribed an official, give him a valid reason to monitor an ISRO scientist and of course take benefit of it. The abused official cannot be even prosecuted. What he is doing is perfectly legal. All he has to give is a convincing lie.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
VPNs are located in foreign countries outside the jurisdiction of Indian agencies,only by having "sufficient diplomatic & technological leverage"(read major powers like US) can one get anything out of these VPNs.

Govt already has access to all the data in banking sector,it afterall owns 70% of the banking sector.

India is not China,there are multiple parties & elections plus an independent judiciary.Only thing to worry about this is all those people making sarcastic comments/jokes on major political figures are now more prone to arrest.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
VPNs are located in foreign countries outside the jurisdiction of Indian agencies,only by having "sufficient diplomatic & technological leverage"(read major powers like US) can one get anything out of these VPNs.

Govt already has access to all the data in banking sector,it afterall owns 70% of the banking sector.

India is not China,there are multiple parties & elections plus an independent judiciary.Only thing to worry about this is all those people making sarcastic comments/jokes on major political figures are now more prone to arrest.

Bilkul sahi baat+people use voip's and email providers like protonmail to do their stuff and unfortunately there's nothing that our legal system can do even if its a high profile case.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
There was a news I read yesterday. Cyber cell successfully arrested a financial criminal who was communicating through WhatsApp calls. Don't think VPNs are safe.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^No vpn is going to help you if you post with your real name/pic/details on sites & as for whatsapp it is only secure regarding interception of traffic in between which is encrypted. If you forward something to someone else & delete it on your phone it can still be traced to you if the other person did not delete the forwarded msg,same thing with calls. All whatsapp sender/receiver need to delete securely without which it is pointless.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
No VPN, no brute force encryption methods can save anybody from the tech we are using right now.
Anything, everything can be accessed by the centre anytime.
In the interests of the security of our country I think this is justified.

After 2008, in 2009 this National Security Act was introduced by the then UPA and NDA accepted to it.

So anybody who does quote anything against the present regime or its interests are deemed to be the enemies of the state.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
No VPN, no brute force encryption methods can save anybody from the tech we are using right now.
Anything, everything can be accessed by the centre anytime.
In the interests of the security of our country I think this is justified.

After 2008, in 2009 this National Security Act was introduced by the then UPA and NDA accepted to it.

So anybody who does quote anything against the present regime or its interests are deemed to be the enemies of the state.

I agree with the security parts completely but giving access to revenue departments is complete bull.

Top Bottom