Airtel to charge for VoIP calls

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
Airtel will now be charging for voice calls made over its 2G or 3G network. This basically includes calls made using services such as Skype, Viber, and Google Hangouts, among others. The VoIP data will be charged separately and won't be part of our existing data pack.

More at Source: GSMArena

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

amjath

Human Spambot
they already started charging 1.8 p/sec for me :mad:

Vodafone is good, giving me offer for 3G worth 195 in 2g rate

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
Again, AirTel is the first to smell a money-making opportunity and jump at the chance to screw its customers over. So, in essence, I'll have to pay for their absurdly priced Internet packs and pay again for making normal calls/send SMSs, and then once more if I decide to use a VoIP app. Just wait and watch, these thugs will soon start charging for using Whatsapp, Telegram and the like. Net neutrality can go f#ck itself, eh?

paroh

Padawan
For this kind of act they will only loose there customer & and they earn a negative feedback in the market for this type of acts. . Trai should protect the customer from these type of act.

paroh

Padawan
vodafone and idea will follow suit.. A-Vo-Id , these three travels in the same boat..
Agree with you that's why Trai should intervene in it and protect the customer from these type of acts.

As on Airtel site given below show every plan is shown with 30 day validity. But as far as i know the information given for validity period is wrong. can any body confirm this?
3G Plans in India | 3G Tariff Plans for Prepaid and Postpaid | airtel

Last edited:

swatkats

The TroubleShooter!
Register your protest:

Mailto: ravis@sansad.nic.in, mcitoffice@gov.in
CC: ap@trai.gov.in, secretary@trai.gov.in

To,

The Honorable Minister,
Department of Telecommunications.
Room No. 105, 1st Floor,
Sanchar Bhawan,
Ashok Road, New Delhi.
PIN- 110001

Subject: Gross Violation of Net Neutrality and Restrictive Business Malpractice by Airtel India.

Dear Sir,

It has come to our attention today that Airtel has decided to start charging for VOIP data traffic on all Subscribed Internet Plans. Now the rest of Telecom cartel members ( Vodafone & Idea) will follow & Rest of the Telecom companies. We have also a fear that if these companies are left like this without any action this type of rule could be forced on to Wired Broadband user.

Quoting it, from their terms and conditions page:

“All Internet/data packs or plans (through which customer can avail discounted rate) shall only be valid for Internet browsing and will exclude VoIP (Both incoming/ Outgoing). VoIP over data connectivity would be charged at standard data rates of 4p / 10 KB (3G service) and 10p / 10 KB (2G service). “

This is a gross violation of the principles of Net Neutrality. As the Internet is essentially seen as a utility, promoting such a misstep is only going to further impede the government’s vision of providing cheap and affordable Internet to all its citizens.

Being providers of utility services, an ISP should not be able to control or alter the terms of access to such services according to their whims and fantasies. This is going to set a dangerous precedent where ISP’s will have the ability to dictate the terms for all internet companies, unless they are paid first.

This is similar to how monopolies act, and the government should be more proactive in trying to discourage such business practices.

We would also like to bring to your notice that failing to prevent such malpractices will lead to further collusion and cartel-like behavior among the Indian ISPs.

We have already seen enough instances of such behavior, where some of these same ISP’s have colluded against the interests of the consumer and the exchequer. Therefore, we believe that it is time the government took notice of this issue.

India is a growing economy with a nascent Internet Industry. Failure to prevent the spread of such practices will further discourage Internet startups from working and/or coming to India, leading to fewer businesses and reduced employments in the future.

We ask for your help, in keeping the Internet open and available to all the citizens of India. We sincerely believe it is the most powerful medium of communication that humanity has ever created, and a failure to act today, might endanger this nascent tool from achieving its greatness.

A concerned Netizen.
Download the docx file here, if you are planning to Send it via Post : Mail the minister.docx - DocDroid

PikachuTrAiNeR

Boredom redefined.
I made a nonprofit website for spreading awareness along with a hashtag to build viral awareness. It's having trouble getting off the ground, any help with tweets would be appreciated.

Let's get Airtel to notice. :)

Last edited:

PikachuTrAiNeR

Boredom redefined.
Agree with you that's why Trai should intervene in it and protect the customer from these type of acts.

As on Airtel site given below show every plan is shown with 30 day validity. But as far as i know the information given for validity period is wrong. can any body confirm this?
3G Plans in India | 3G Tariff Plans for Prepaid and Postpaid | airtel

I'm on a 600 MB plan this month that offers a validity of 25 days; had 1GB that lasted for 25 days last month

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I made a nonprofit website for spreading awareness along with a hashtag to build viral awareness. It's having trouble getting off the ground, any help with tweets would be appreciated.

Let's get Airtel to notice. :)
Put a tweet button or Facebook share on top which takes me directly downwards so that I can share it.

I tweeted btw.

lol?

Govt to look into Airtel's plan to charge for VoIP calls - Firstpost

Raj Kumar @ Firstpost said:
American companies create monopolies in IT services with huge venture capital money. You cannot compete with Skype, Watsapp and they are bandwidth hogging for Indian ISPs. They do not pay taxes either in India, Foreign countries for their foreign sourced income. They take Indian customer, charge them for services but do not pay Indian taxes.

Even in USA, Amazon does not pay state taxes. Google, Apple does not pay foreign taxes either in USA or in other countries they operate from.

I applaud Airtel in this and other Indian companies should follow through.This is the reason China, Russia have their own internet companies, so the government gets taxes either at the IT services side or from the ISP side.

In USA Net Neutrality got thrown out due to bribing (lobbying) by facebook, google and other. Net Neutrality is not the right solution, taxation laws of foreign countries need to be adhered.

In this case Airtel can cause the billion dollar companies Skype, Watsapp to pay or they can charge customers.

Example:

Say i run an electricity company for your home as a utility but then a specific company uses a big proportion of my electricity, I will want the electricity company (Google) to help me meet their growing need for electricity.

This can be done either be by charging customers or the company paying my electricity company.

Top Bottom