After installing more than 20 operating systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
anantkhaitan said:
Has anyone heard of Caldera .. well it was my first GNU/Linux distro.. and yes it is my first love
openlinux... forerunner of sco.... yeah that was one of the very few distros which gave importance to internet apps being bunded...

my first distro was slackware.. when it was still bundled in floppies... and a bootdisk had to be created to install it.. umados etc.. etc..

@vish
hey since u've tested different versions of same distro, do you find any significant improvement? do they keep up wid the company's claims?

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
@vish786

You have tried so may os in your PC. Therefore, I wish to know I want to install fedora core in my system just for experiment. Will you please tell me
keeping existing Os(Win XP) may I install Fedora Core. If it is whether it will be dwel booting system or it will overwirte XP.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
vish786 said:
okay slackware is ur first love.... who can forget the first love, its always the best. :D.... mine is Knoppix :D

Mine too... Knoppix (Ok guys, we are talking about OSs here not....;-)) It was 3.2.... But now, it's OpenSUSE 10.2....

@Mehul, is it only me or is it that you never ever supported any of these OSs (except Ubuntu), SUSE, Fedora.... (many others) (well well, I am not saying you said anything against them also... Just had the thought :-D)

Aditya

Pathik

Google Bot
Mine was mandrake 10.1...
btw vish didnt u like ubuntu??? why havent u included it in the list??

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
aditya.shevade said:
@Mehul, is it only me or is it that you never ever supported any of these OSs (except Ubuntu), SUSE, Fedora
I have always mentioned that I have never been comfortable with rpm distros. And again distros like suse, fedora, mandriva, linspire make you depend on their GUI based tools to the point of being irritating for me.
I prefer distros like slackware, gentoo which give you more control.
But, in no way do I mean that other distros or OS's(including windows) are bad. Just that they don't suit me.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
mehulved said:
I have always mentioned that I have never been comfortable with rpm distros. And again distros like suse, fedora, mandriva, linspire make you depend on their GUI based tools to the point of being irritating for me.
I prefer distros like slackware, gentoo which give you more control.
But, in no way do I mean that other distros or OS's(including windows) are bad. Just that they don't suit me.

Yeah.. I know you did not say that others are bad. Thats why I mentioned it.

And, I am also getting annoyed by GUI tools, mostly by SUSE's package management. CLI rocks. But still I like SUSE... Dunno.. never tried Debian or Slack.... will give a try... right now though, major D/L going on and I don't have space in HDD (40GB :-()

Aditya

OP
vish786

vish786

"The Gentleman"
infra_red_dude said:
hey since u've tested different versions of same distro, do you find any significant improvement? do they keep up wid the company's claims?
yes its better to always keep updated, as most important part "kernel" is updated to support more hardware, with more features included, like Suse 10 was bundled with via drivers, but they didnt detect my sata disk, so in the next version openSuse 10.1, this problem was rectified, they keep fixing the minor problem which we hardly know abt, one more thing is they usually try to achieve a stable system in ever version they release, that is why see softwares and OS regularly being updated.

praka123 said:
I dont believe this.hmm.. ;) wasnt fdisk bugging u on each boot:rolleyes:
i already told i had a lot of problem while installing. its ur wish u either believe it or u dont... its simple.

skghosh44 said:
I wish to know I want to install fedora core in my system just for experiment. Will you please tell me
keeping existing Os(Win XP) may I install Fedora Core. If it is whether it will be dwel booting system or it will overwirte XP.
yes ur existing win xp will not be overwritten while installing fedora core... u can find many threads here which will help u to install Fedora core and maintain a dual booting system.
Kniwor said:
how about a pic of the bootloader?
will look ultra cool.
lol... i hav formatted my system as i was falling short of space... write now i have only 3 OS on system.

anantkhaitan said:
I think its high time.. Now you should go for your own OS
Has anyone heard of Caldera .. well it was my first GNU/Linux distro.. and yes it is my first love

no time for that. :D, i just heard abt Caldera but never tried it.
pathiks said:
Mine was mandrake 10.1...
btw vish didnt u like ubuntu??? why havent u included it in the list??
hey see properly dude its their in the list.

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
vish786 said:
yes its better to always keep updated, as most important part "kernel" is updated to support more hardware
You can always update the kernel, without updating the whole OS.
We, gentoo users do it all the time. Gentoo doesn't have different versions like other distros.

praka123

left this forum longback
Like Windows users waiting for newest winamp(?) or any softwares,I am always happy waiting and browsing through new features added to the latest kernel versions.read the section "soon hitting a kernel near U " :D
for eg;2.6.22 ->
Crashing soon a kernel near you

This is a list of some of the ongoing patches being developed at the kernel community that will be part of future Linux releases. Those features may take many months to get into the Linus' git tree, or may be dropped. The features are tested in the -mm tree, but be warned, it can crash your machine, eat your data (unlikely but not impossible) or kidnap your family (just because it has never happened it doesn't mean you're safe):
  • Ingo Molnar's CFS / Con Kolivas' RSDL process scheduler
  • Con's swap prefetching
  • Utrace (LWN article)
  • Process containers
  • Revoke()/frevoke() system calls (LWN article)
  • Mel Gorman's fragmentation avoidance patches and Lumpy reclaim
  • Unionfs
  • EXT 4 patches (wiki)
  • Lguest
  • On-demand Read-ahead
  • Xen for x86-64
  • Tickless patchess for x86-65
  • Reiser 4
  • The fallocate() system call
  • LogFS
*kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_22#head-c3a33306c1f3f3f7f80a0e0dac70f75729134053

*kernelnewbies.org
^ u can quench ur thirst for updates here ;)
[SIZE=-1]*kerneltrap.org[/SIZE]
*lkml.org (if u care 8) )
and with 2.6.22 for my debian(custom compiled),i compiled instead of SLAB allocator,a better SLUB(arguably!) <-------is a new feature
regarding SLUB allocator:
*lwn.net/Articles/229984/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom