Advice about buying new memory

Hello,

I am having an assembled PC with Intel board DB85FL & Intel core i5 4440. I was using 4 x 2 GB Transcend DDR3 RAM sticks. After some time 2 of them went bad. I checked for warranty but no company was providing the services for Transcend. So couldn't do anything with them.

Now I am planning to upgrade the RAM to at least 16 GB. I think this board supports maximum of 32 GB and has 4 slots. So thinking of buying 2 x 8 GB sticks. Main purpose of this PC is to run VirtualBox VMs. Any suggestions for a good RAM and company that has good number of service centers in India.

Thank you
Amardeep

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Check warranty:
Product Verification-Transcend Information, Inc.
Location for service center:
Transcend Information, Inc.
Contact US | Kaizen

OP
A

amardeep.sidhu

Broken In
Thank you. Let me check this. Probably at that time it was messed up.

But if I have to buy a new one which one you would recommend ?

Thanks

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Post your experience here as I only saw bad reviews about Transcend warranty support in India a few years back.Maybe things have changed now.

OP
A

amardeep.sidhu

Broken In
corsair value ram are good,

Sorry for the trouble again guys. I tried to find value select ddr3 but could find only one option. Amazon.in: Buy Corsair CMV16GX3M2A1333C9 16GB Dual Channel Memory Kit Online at Low Prices in India | Corsair Reviews & Ratings

This one also says that there is no warranty for this in India as Amazon is shipping it from Global store. Also Corsair doesn't have any specific website for India so kinda confusing which ones they are actually servicing in India.

Any other hints/tips ?

Thanks

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Sorry for the trouble again guys. I tried to find value select ddr3 but could find only one option. Amazon.in: Buy Corsair CMV16GX3M2A1333C9 16GB Dual Channel Memory Kit Online at Low Prices in India | Corsair Reviews & Ratings

This one also says that there is no warranty for this in India as Amazon is shipping it from Global store. Also Corsair doesn't have any specific website for India so kinda confusing which ones they are actually servicing in India.

Any other hints/tips ?

Thanks
Corsair Value Select DDR3 8 GB (1 x 8GB) PC Desktop RAM (CMV8GX3M1A1600C11) | eBay
Use an eBay coupons and get a discount.

OP
A

amardeep.sidhu

Broken In
Thanks. This one i can find on Amazon.in also. One more question. What is the difference between buying two 8 GB sticks and buying a 16 GB (2 x 8 GB kit) ? Are these two things different ? Till now i was searching for kits (16, 2 * 8) only and this one didn't show up in the search.

Thank you.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing that is noticeable in typical PC usage scenarios.Dual channel ram performance improvement is only noticeable in very limited atypical scenarios.

Though a common sense(if you can call it like this) reason may be that getting 2 ram sticks is safer bet in case of ram failure as chances of both ram sticks going bad at same time is less than a single ram stick going bad.

Last edited:
OP
A

amardeep.sidhu

Broken In
Nothing that is noticeable in typical PC usage scenarios.Dual channel ram performance improvement is only noticeable in very limited atypical scenarios.

Thanks. So if i understand correctly, a kit of two 8 GB sticks would be two dual channel sticks that should be used in same colored slots on the board ? For individual 8 GB sticks, they are going to be single channel and can be used in any slots.

I plan to use 2 or 3 * 8 GB sticks. The board is Intel DB85FL. It supports a maximum of 32 GB. But this thing left me confused. The specs pdf says

Support for up to 32 GB of system memory with four DIMMs using 4 Gb memory technology

I should be able to use 8 GB * 3 sticks. Right ?

Pls correct me if i am wrong.

There are so many variations in Corsair's DDR3 offerings that it has left me completely confused. A lot of them on Amazon are being shipped from the Global store and don't carry warranty in India.

Thank you.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is just some technical info which is practically irrelevant.You can buy any 1600 ram & there are lots of them from Indian stores.You can even try other indian pc parts shopping sites like mdcomputers,vedanta computers,primeabgb,deltapage,overclockerszone or theitdepot.

icebags

Technomancer
if you trying to get multiple rams, then get exact same model with exact same batch, otherwise they may potentially make your pc life hell.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
I get why the GPU prices have increased but why RAM prices have increased, I mean its like doubled than just from a year ago!

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
I get why the GPU prices have increased but why RAM prices have increased, I mean its like doubled than just from a year ago!

RAM as well as SSD both .. mainly because of Smartphones and servers high demands and limited supply as manufacturers are moving their production to new process and they are still expected to increase for whole of this year .. the situation is expected to improve by Q2 next year .. by late 2018 or Q1 2019 we will see prices we had earlier..

SSD's may become significantly cheaper per GB by mid next year .. as 64 layer 3d NAND is supposed to bring costs down significantly compared to current SSD's .. some of which have started appearing already in market

DRAM and NAND supply shortage expected to last until 2018 | KitGuru

Last edited:
Top Bottom