Accidently installed two WinXPs what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro

Broken In
hi all,
i ran winXP setup to repair my current xp installation. accidently i made CD drive as 1st boot device before installing and forgot ot turn it off. now after copying files it restarted and installed 2nd copy in d drive then restarted and installed partial 3rd copy in 3rd e drive as i had sensed my mistake. this e drive is a seperate slave hard disk partition (which used to be d drive earlier)

now HOW CANi remove newer 2nd installation from my pc? i see 3 choices in boot menu. i have erased files in partial 3rd installation.
also
i fear if i remove my 2nd harddisk and format primary for installing fresh XP it might become un recognised....is it possible?

i am feeling very bad. help me....

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
just Go to start, run, type c:\boot.ini edit the file manually to delete the extra installations lines.. just Keep the 1st line,

Code:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

!!

OP
pro

pro

Broken In
so that will do..... ok i will try and let you know tomorrow

thanks a lot...:)

digiFriend

In the zone
after editing "boot.ini" also see that you remove all files of windows from D: and E: drive including hidden files like "pagefile" and "hiberfil"

OP
pro

pro

Broken In
yes i have seen those two files on mainc drive but for unknown reason they are not present in other drives.... for precaution i have made my original xp to default boot OS by editing boot.ini using msconfig. i have moved it to top position and rest of the choices to downward positions.

digiFriend

In the zone
"pagefile" is virtual memory
"hiberfil" is needed for hibernation.
as you might have not started your OS of D: drive they might not have been created in D:
(if you are not using "hibernation" features of WinXp, you can safely delete "hyberfill" of C: by
display properties-screen saver -power setting-uncheck hibernation.
this will save harddisk space equal to the amount of your "RAM" and it will help to make image backup of your c: drive small.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom