about apc back ups 500va ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweety_bird_bunny

Journeyman
i am goin to buy a apc ups.....options are back ups-es 500va & 650va....
the 500va is about 2050 and 650va is for 3200......

but on the site it is written that 650 supports software monitoring and no such thing is writte nabout 500va..

i want that if the light goes of the pc shud turn of automatically after a particular time-period or battery left in ups.....

plz tell me is this possible wid 500va or will i hav to buy the 650va one.....

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
I use APC BACK-UPS ES 500. It came bundled with a CD (software for monitoring the
UPS). Don't worry BACK UPS ES 500 also comes with a CD. And you can monitor
the UPS with the provided software. If you installed the software & it will automatically
shutdown the PC after a period of time if the power goes off. Go for BACK UPS ES 500.
If you want more backup time (more than 20 mins) you can choose BACK-UPS ES 650

Last edited:

PrinceHeart

In the zone
Jguru - what kind of monitor u use and what size ? With your APC 500VA - how much time backup u get when the power cuts off..before your USP shuts down by itself ? Or do u use the monitor CD which came with it and shutdown the PC at an event of power cuts.

I got LG flatron e700S and im using 500VA UPS. the monitor is connected with the UPS as well. The UPS is always fully charged. But whenever the power cuts off - i get only like 20 secs to shutdown the pc manually before the UPS shuts itself off. I had to turn off the monitor to gain another 1 min, so i can shut down the CPU. I was being told to get a 1000VA.. but let me know about your config and what u do.. and i will decide upon that.

cheerz

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
You are right @PrinceHeart. The PC configuration coupled with other devices like
printer, webcam etc., connected to the UPS help calculate the total backup time
you get. The more devices you connect the lesser backup time you get!!
I use SamSung 17'' Monitor (SyncMaster 793s). The other things connected to the
UPS are ADSL modem adapter, & the speaker. I also have a webcam, I connect it
when needed. I get around 15 mins backup. But I shutdown the PC , 5 - 7 mins
after the power goes off.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
The UPS comes with a USB cable. You must connect the USB cable to UPS Data port
& connect the other end of the cable to the Computer's USB port.

PrinceHeart

In the zone
Well...
I connect LG flatron e700S + CPU + speakers(only when needed) + phone(modem)

When the power goes off - only things that are connected are the monitor+cpu+modem - and the UPS goes off within like 30-40 secs. max. if i turn off the monitor - it goes up by 1 min max and then it shuts down the CPU, which causes errors on next startup, which is bad. So i have to get a new UPS - maybe 650VA or more. The UPS i wanna get should atleast give me 10-20 mins after power cut for me to properly reach to my pc and shut it down properly.

peace

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Buy APC BACK-UPS ES 650. That's the best UPS money can buy. Plus if you install
the software that comes in the CD, the software can automatically shutdown the
PC for you, in case power goes off!! You can configure it as per your needs.
And read the manual for other details carefully. You must follow their advice strictly
to get best performance from the UPS.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
It costs above 3000 Rs/- for APC BACK UPS ES 650. Remember prices vary slightly
due to VAT or other charges from state to state. Check their website for more details:
*www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom