A preview of Gnome 2.14

Status
Not open for further replies.

ujjwal

Padawan
*www.gnome.org/~davyd/gnome-2-14/

Built on the shoulders of giants, GNOME 2.14 hits the shelves on the 15th of March. As well as new features and more polish, developers have been working around the clock to squeeze more performance out of the most commonly used applications and libraries. This is a review of some of the most shiny work that has gone into the upcoming GNOME release.

Although I normally dislike Gnome2, this release I am looking forward to, especially considering the work done by Federico Mena Quintero and others in optimising it.

Satissh S

Youngling
I'am quite pleased actually, more on Novell's innovation than New GNOMe release and lets wain n watch..
But we need to differentiate between the Official GNOMe release and the Distro Modded release. Let's see how this thing gets modded.. Rh/Fedora, atleast this time should keep their dumb bluecurve with themselves..

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
It looks quite nice but features like preffered applications, sound preference remind me a bit of windows. They seem a bit similar.

gauravnawani

Journeyman
Satissh S said:
I'm quite pleased actually, more on Novell's innovation than New Gnome release and lets wain n watch..
But we need to differentiate between the Official Gnome release and the Distro Modded release. Let's see how this thing gets modded.. Rh/Fedora, at least this time should keep their dumb bluecurve with themselves..
Well actually Fedora have been doing or started it much earlier
*live.gnome.org/Luminocity

See some really ancient vids at
*www.gnome.org/~seth/blog/xshots
Also interesting is to read is his blog is Cairo based dynamic themes.

I differ on your views of Bluecurve, firstly it was way ahead then most distros when it came fresh, it was polished UI plus the grunty Bluecurve icon set. I still regard it as one of the best and complete UI on Gnome. Cairo and project Tango changed a lot of things lately, but you have to agree me on this that it was first serious effort to enhance the Gnome interface on Desktop. And they did succeeded, a lot of distros afterwards seriously took enhancing UI.

Satissh S

Youngling
You are right gaurav. Blue curve was the first thing like that. Why i said so was, i wasn't quite happy with their icon sets. I feel it's quite limited, isn't?? Also it looks professional and polished at front but aftr using it for sometime it feels boring. Adding more blunt to the already boring GNOME. What do you think? :)

gauravnawani

Journeyman
:p I think Bleucurve icons were much prettier then Gnome, but that said I was some how not very happy with its not being completly complete, or a feeling of some thing missing, somthing which Tanglo(although a guiding specificatoin) nicely compensates.

Well with tango being developed who needs other icons anyway, well at least not me, it look crackalastic with the dappers new cario(theme) release.

-Gaurav

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom