A Great Camera-phone under 25k

sreeml5thira

Right off the assembly line
1. Budget?
--- below 25k

2. Display type and size?
---below 4.5''. Really nice colors, I don't want to go all "WTF!" when I see images I dared to edit on the phone on the comp. screen. Good display with decent sunlight legibility. Text should be clear and easily readable.

3. Form Factor? bar, slider, flip? ---bar
4. Preferred choice of brand?
---Not really brand conscious, but have heard about poor after sales services of Indian brands like micromax (also battery getting heated up and hanging ) or brands like Gionee . So if you are suggesting one of these brands, please also mention about the after sale services in Kerala

5. Preferred input method (QWERTY, touchscreen, numpad, touch-n-type). ---touchscreen

6. What camera option you want? Please specify need for flash, autofocus, front facing camera.
---Camera is my MOST important priority. A great cam preferably with good low light and indoor, outdoor imaging. Flash, autofocus. Front camera- decent or not reqd.
I want to photograph/video a toddler so any OIS-like features are welcome.​

7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
---Android, and if I'm hard-pushed WP8 (it is daunting without expandable memory and dual-sim)

8. Preferred connectivity options (3G, Wifi etc)Please specify clearly.
----EDGE, 3G. Wifi, 4G if available would be a bonus but not really required. MicroUSB. Bluetooth.

9. Preferred applications (Flash, Swype, GPS, etc)?
---pdf and doc reading capabilities, swype, anything else available.

10. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, mails, internet, gaming etc)?
----(in decr. order) Net Surfing for extended periods, Cam, Music, Social Apps, Games like Angry Birds, Calls.

11. Any specific mobile phones in consideration? ---not really. I just started looking around now.
12. Any other info that you want to share

---I want a phone which produces images good enough to be printed out and framed for posterity (so best thing in the budget), tantrum-proof and which would last me through college, Expandable memory, good battery life, Nice audio and video output. Preferably dual sim, though I can live without it.
I read fanfiction for crazy long periods, and don't want to burn my hands with the phone heating up or squint at blurry text. I also need to use the phone to connect my computer to internet.

I can wait a bit for some better phones as long as its worth the wait and in my budget.
Please suggest me the best phone based on above requirements friends. I wonder, Am I asking too much from this price category?

P.S. I am not at all versed in online shopping. TBH nobody in my family knows how to shop online. I have relatives in Middle-East who can buy for me from there, though I can't ask them to splurge on me more than this limit.

~Thank you.

EDIT:
I have a couple of questions to ask.

1. Which of these have a really good on-board speakers? Which ones should I steer away from with respect to this?
The thing is, I don't like sticking earbuds in my ear to listen to music unless absolutely necessary, like while commuting. I'm more of a hands-free person with music. I just don't want to spend so much to get speakers more terrible than what I have now. (just an overpriced feature phone :-/)

2. Which of these can handle a bit rough and tough? I am not a careful person with my phone, I don't think I could become careful even if it was made of gold and studded with diamonds :D And the toddler in question is occasionally inclined to throw the thing at people's heads if it doesn't light up the way she wants it to XXD :-D Will it be safe to give in her hands, throwing aside?

These will probably be deal breakers, ruggedness especially. I better update the first post.

~Thanx!

Last edited:

ashs1

Padawan
For good camera performance, you can choose from Nokia Lumia 925 or 920
The basic areas of difference between the 2 phones are :

1. Lumia 925 is much lighter whereas Lumia 920 is built like a tank.
2. Lumia 920 offers wireless charging whereas Lumia 925 doesn't have this feature.
3. Lumia 920 has 32 GB internal memory while L925 has 16GB ( Memory card slot absent on both )
4. L920 has a IPS LCD display while the L925 gets a AMOLED screen.
5. Due to an extra lens element, technically the L925 should give you better camera results. ( no comments as i haven't compared pics yet )

If you prefer Android, Sony Xperia ZL/ZR, samsung grand 2 & maybe the new HTC desire 816 are good options.

OP
S

sreeml5thira

Many thanks for replying! If I may ask for more...
When I checked out the sony website, I saw that they're priced at around 28k. Even though they're available for less at online stores, I'm less than a noob at online shopping :( Can you suggest me any Xperia which MRPs less than 25k which would satisfy all my needs?

And for plan B if I can't persuade my family to part with 25k, what is the cheapest phone available in the (offline) market for me?
I'm not too fussed about screen size other than that the webpages can be viewed nicely, without glitches and should fit comfortably in hand/pocket.

Last edited:
OP
S

sreeml5thira

Thanks for replying. But as you said, it's 5.5. And it's 32GB variant is at 30k :( :(

Fellow DGTians pls help me out!

sakthibruce

Broken In
this meets ur need *www.snapdeal.com/product/samsung-galaxy-s4-zoom-smc1010/1150868124

It(*www.flipkart.com/xolo-q1010i/p/itmdv7t6hqw4wgsf) has sony xmor but doubt it can deliver some professional photos or not

ssb1551

Technomancer
@ sreeml5thira - If good pictures is what you need then Lumia 920 is a very good bet. In Android S4 Zoom takes good pictures.

ashcroftbr2

samsung galaxy note
it is bit older device almost 1.5 years old.but still a great device to use
comes with
DISPLAY Type Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
Size 800 x 1280 pixels, 5.3 inches (~285 ppi pixel density)
Multitouch Yes
Protection Corning Gorilla Glass
- TouchWiz UI v4.0

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
samsung galaxy note
comes with
DISPLAY Type Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
Size 800 x 1280 pixels, 5.3 inches (~285 ppi pixel density)
Multitouch Yes
Protection Corning Gorilla Glass
- TouchWiz UI v4.0

its 3 years old :deadbored:
crap exynos processor and only 1 gb ram, stuck at JB 4.1.2 officially :facepalm:

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
samsung galaxy note
comes with
DISPLAYTypeSuper AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
Size800 x 1280 pixels, 5.3 inches (~285 ppi pixel density)
MultitouchYes
ProtectionCorning Gorilla Glass
- TouchWiz UI v4.0

please tell me u r kidding. not only is it outdated, weighs a ton and ugly looks

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Under 25k, Moto X & Sony ZR are the only mobiles with below 5" display. Xperia ZR is more than a year old and Sony may replace it with something this fall as other Sony mobiles are all 5" or bigger. Moto X is not a camera phone but the camera is still very much usable and every other spec is in line with your requirements. Only -ve point is 16GB internal memory (usable should be ~13GB).

matrixx

Journeyman
Under 25k, Moto X & Sony ZR are the only mobiles with below 5" display. Xperia ZR is more than a year old and Sony may replace it with something this fall as other Sony mobiles are all 5" or bigger. Moto X is not a camera phone but the camera is still very much usable and every other spec is in line with your requirements. Only -ve point is 16GB internal memory (usable should be ~13GB).

Moto x over ZR in cam is out of question. ZR can't regret even 1 yr old just like note 3 & other flagship old phone.

OP
S

sreeml5thira

I'm really glad so many people replied! So many great suggestions! Please keep them coming!

Although I'm going to veto S4 Zoom. 200g is way too heavy for a net addict like me. Oh the woe to my poor hands! Pity :(

I have a couple of questions to ask.

1. Which of these have a really good on-board speakers? Which ones should I steer away from with respect to this?
The thing is, I don't like sticking earbuds in my ear to listen to music unless absolutely necessary, like while commuting. I'm more of a hands-free person with music. I just don't want to spend so much to get speakers more terrible than what I have now. (just an overpriced feature phone :-/)

2. Which of these can handle a bit rough and tough? I am not a careful person with my phone, I don't think I could become careful even if it was made of gold and studded with diamonds :D And the toddler in question is occasionally inclined to throw the thing at people's heads if it doesn't light up the way she wants it to XXD :-D Will it be safe to give in her hands, throwing aside?

These will probably be deal breakers, ruggedness especially. I better update the first post.

~Thanx!

Top Bottom