A General Observation on Windows XP

Should we atleast now dump windows and go for other O.S es????

• Yup!!!! And FreeBSD is for me!!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope!!!! All that is too weird for me!!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cool_dude_prav

In the zone
Hey you guys out there!!!

Listen....

A General Observation on Windows XP made by my computer engineer is that Windows XP does not support many newer Intel motherboards beginning the 865 series. One of the general symptoms of problems are :

1. Mouse stops moving, esp. after logging off a user and trying to login as another.

2.Graphics with the 865G series seems to be problematic, including Games getting hung halfway...

3.Sometimes the comp. gets hung all of a sudden, even if it's RAM was free and no bg processes were running...

So, XP users beware and be aware...

That's all for now...

Disclaimer: Not tested with SP2

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
1. never happened to me in 3yrs of XPerience
2. very true .. but most of us use graphics cards ..
3. that happens .. accepted

trying other OSes is definitely a good idea..
but not for petty reasons like that

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Who is this "my computer engineer " ? Looks like a fraud to me or is he dumb to make such baseless claims. I use the same mobo and never heard about any of these. Do you think intel is a small run by night firm that they sre not able to detect and fix such problems if they existed. My suggestion AVOID this "my computer engineer " as he is misleading a young brain.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
I think all your options are totally Biased....I use windows XP not because i feel weird about other Os but simply Because windows XP suits me so fine...
i have had Mac Platform a long time ago but considering the range windows run and the Hardware it supports ( You are wrong about the hardware support you mentioned regarrding your MOBO...Xp supports that MOBO more than any Os you mentioned...)
Games run Best on windows XP...Movies sound soo good and the simply user experience is also good...
Please put up a option like...
5) Windows is too good for me as its still KING of the Operating system

Peace
:p

hikapil

Journeyman
Please See

Hey cool_dude_prav Just don't believe you Engineer blindly.
First try Both OS and then vote with your mind.

I think in next coming 3-4 Years Linux can't take place of Windows. Because it is Totaly unfriendly and not made for general people. You are talking about one or two motherboards. I'll tell you Linux doesn't support most software (about 70-80%) of softwares are not supported in any of your Linux.

In any of the forum related to Win-Linux WAR you can winning Windows.

So, be a good boy and listen all tech people here.

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
i think OSes are like media players or text editors in that sense
some ppl like the common winamp and wmp ..
others like trying different players and exploring more features (im not saying winamp is bad)

similarly .. some ppl look for other OSes with more features .. lesser bugz etc
others may feel comfortable with the the more ubiquitous OS
for which getting help is easier.

we shud not cancel out windows simply cos it has bugs
all OSes have bugz .. or it crashes
its a very common thing in programming environment
no OS is perfect ..

tuXian

In the zone
Hey dont mind prav but your enginner seems to be a hardware guy who assembles PC's and has half knowledge. They are many people like him.

I also met one who said AMD processor cant run for an hour and when I said my computer runs for days he kept quiet.

I met another guy who swores by 98 and said Internet wont run in XP or Linux. Moreover he said you cant print in Linux. I informed him that I do all that in Linux.

Infact you should enlighten these so called Engineers about the truth.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
well , another general observation with techies , geeks and hardware ppl i have seen is they arent that welcoming when u counter some "fact" they swear by . i met so many guys like this who think they know everything abt h/w , s/w and OSes , just koz they had long years of experience or read some book abt some OS , top to bottom .

example other day i had to get some screws from the shop to fix my additional case fan and went to a h/w shop and asked for long screws with nuts , which dont rust and rubber washers . shop owner asked me for what reason , i told him to fix my computer . guy next to me told me there were other screws for this purpose , i said politely , that i knew but i wanted this specific screw to reduce vibrations and noise . then he started searching his bad and took out a screw they use within smps . and he insisted that was only screw needed . i said i knew abt the smps screw and needed longer ones to secure my system . he then started off by saying that something was wrong with my case and maybe fan was bad. i told him everything was fine and i bought my screws and was abt to leave . he told the owner that the screws i bought wouldnt work . i politely told him , i am thankful for his help and left .

so many cases like this and the one stated above on how ppl , just pass on info they hear from others to ppl without trying to learn abt it themselves . i aint saying i know everything , but u got to know in this field u always have to have an open mind and learn every new thing u can . i can always fix probs with others computer , but when it comes to my own , i always seem to get the worst of the worst and weird problems and i dont mind asking for help too . if u look at many tech support companies , they all agree that no individual alone can be able to solve all probs . but when working as a team , u can get most probs fixed . most ppl can find answers their looking for not mainly from manufacturers faq site , but rather forums and boards .
one way i found to handle such situations is be polite with the other person and try to explain ur point well . kindness works well ;)

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
klinux What a beautiful point you have made....
Come to think about it the same scenerio is everywhere.. Seen lotsa of computer shops growing around and people work there. Everyone works there and most behave like they have touch upon some magical forumula.or something..Dont think Even Bill Gates would be so proud and damn confident of the software that MS makes..
Other thing ..you are absolutly right..they will tolerate nothing against them and yes talking politely to them is the only way ..better to avoid their Flat inflated Egos . After all isnt that our Gain...We know the Truth !!!!

KHUBBU

Journeyman
all the above 3 claims r baseless. it never happened with me. i have 865 motherboard no gfx card. mp2, cod run like anything , never hanged. unless u mess up with some system settings, nothing goes wrong. even doom3 demo runs fine on lowest settings.

he must be a hardware guy. they blame the os for improper hardware installation.

sidewinder

Ambassador of Buzz
this is a bullshitt post nd its a joke.There is no such issue with865g or even 875 pbz.Most of my friends use this two nd everything is fine.

lavanjoy

Broken In
cool_dude_prav said:
Disclaimer: Not tested with SP2
You are still stick with old xp -2years ago

FIRST GO AND TEST WITH SP2. THen come and post here.

Even sp2 has some loop holes.But I did not find any problem which u mentioned in the new boards.

rohanbee

Padawan
I think we should not take all info at face value. I always believe in a bit of research and then my personal experience too.

I have a ridiculous incident to narate as well. I wanted to get a 3.0ghz chip so time back so i asked my vendor for it. First he kept pushing the 2.8 to me and when i did not budge he kept quoting a much higher price when i found out and told him the actual price diff he started saying that Intel has skipped the 3.0ghz :lol: and gone to the 3.2ghz chip.

Even after i told him to check the intel website he would not beleive or listen to me. eventually i went directly to the distribuitor and bought it.

sms_solver

In the zone
cool_dude_prav said:
....2.Graphics with the 865G series seems to be problematic, including Games getting hung halfway...

I also faced same problem with my D865 mb, you can not blame XP for that matter.

I downloaded latest Intel extreme Graphics2 Driver and also downloaded D865 BIOS update program, then flashed the BIOS and install latest driver,

Now my PC does not shuts down or hangs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom