A DSLR for a beginner.

sujoyp

Grand Master
just get a dslr and start practicing...no point in this debate

Canon or Nikon ...learning has to be done ...and lenses has to be purchased ...If you have plans to spend lots of money get Canon L lenses worth minimum 50k ....if you dont ,get nikon ...lenses will be ultimately cheaper then canon

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Its nothing like that,when its Lens in quetion,its somwhere Canon is cheaper and in some segment Nikon is cheaper by a few thousand,definitely not as grave as made out to be.And then theres a huge support of third party lens from Tamron and Sigma for Canon. More over L series are professional series and its completely up to you whether you want your Canon lens in 400mm, 250 mm,100mm,135mm,50mm,40mm from L series , USM series, IS series or the STM series. Canon has a huge collection of Lens covering all price points from Rs 6000 to over Rs 6 lakhs! Its not all, that Nikon will ensure you cheaper lens everytime over a Canon.They both have cheap and expensive Lens in their line,its just that Canon has more variety in various segments and very high quality in their L series.

Last edited:

raja manuel

In the zone
The STM lenses are more than just a stepper motor. They bring optical improvements as well, though this depends on the model in question and improvements are sometimes noticeable only in some part of the focal range. The newer STMs also feature a non rotating front element, which is great for those who like to use filters.
If the purchase is to be made from the US, there is chance of picking up a 650D for a lower price. The 700D is only a slight refresh of the 650D so that could be a good bargain.

OP
MegaMind

MegaMind

Human Spambot
Thanks for all your inputs.
The nikon D7000 is expensive in US.($740 for body alone)

The price of 650D & 700D are almost the same in US.

I also feel that a touch screen would really help while hovering around the options. I haven't used a DSLR so i'm just assuming, if my assumptions are in anyway wrong please point them.

Another question, 18-55mm STM + 75-300mm Telephoto lens vs 18-135mm STM ? which one would be optimal for a beginner?

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Think about using your smartphone with 4 way navigation keys rather than touch,what do you think is simpler? Ofcourse the touch.Even then if someone is phobic to touch which I believe no one is, after the smartphone onslaught,you can safely turn off the touch feature and use the 4 way navigation key as usual,the old fashioned way! :razz: Aint it Great?

Theres no thumbrule for a beginner when its lens.Me as a novice started with twin lens,18-55/55-250. Its totally up to you what you want. Yes a single lens from 18 till 135 mm is definitely very convenient. And that 18-135mm STM is a excellent for the 700D.It all depends what you want to shoot.If birds and amateur wildlife is what you looking for then 70-300 will definitely be the pre-requisite along with a 18-55mm.

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
No, my eyes are not "that" trained to guess the camera just by viewing the photographs :D. But I know what's the camera used. ;)
Why you're asking? Wanna buy that cam?

OP
MegaMind

MegaMind

Human Spambot
Its the beautiful D5100.

Ahh! you read the posts..
Yes nikon d5100 with a 10-24 and a 70-200 f2.8 lens & also cokin ND and grad ND filters.

No, my eyes are not "that" trained to guess the camera just by viewing the photographs :D. But I know what's the camera used. ;)
Why you're asking? Wanna buy that cam?

No, its also a entry level DSLR.
So its the filters and the lens that does the magic?

aniket.cain

Padawan
Thanks for all your inputs.
The nikon D7000 is expensive in US.($740 for body alone)

The price of 650D & 700D are almost the same in US.

I also feel that a touch screen would really help while hovering around the options. I haven't used a DSLR so i'm just assuming, if my assumptions are in anyway wrong please point them.

Another question, 18-55mm STM + 75-300mm Telephoto lens vs 18-135mm STM ? which one would be optimal for a beginner?

I have a 700D which I bought last year in May, and I have been quite pleased with the touchscreen. It is excellent! I had a Canon 1000D earlier, and the touchscreen takes the 700D to whole another level when it comes to ease of use. Canon's implementation of the touch is really good, and you may never need to press a button again.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Its the Man and not the Camera! Yes Lens and Filters will take you a long way but you will have to know how to use them optimally and with the correct technique.

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
[MENTION=102260]MegaMind[/MENTION] its 90% lens that is important and just 10% DSLR is important ....DSLR is important for gripping and changing settings on the fly etc...but you need that specific lens like wide angle,macro, zoom to capture that moment

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Ahh! you read the posts..
So its the filters and the lens that does the magic?
I guess Inci got that from EXIF. (that's how I got that)

The photographs are very good. But don't applaud and give credit to accessories and camera. I am sure I couldn't have got such photographs given the very same equipments and accessories. It's the photographer, not the filters and lens. Other than the skill of photographer in taking such photos,
The lighting and subject was good.
His skill in PP is good (though I think it's little overdone)

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Just check when you get back home and away from the guard and let me know,lets keep it a suspense,you have seen nothing like it,atleast I didnt

sujoyp

Grand Master
Hint for guys :- search the name I mentioned in my above post in flickr and you will get to know the exif details :D

Top Bottom