A 14" Laptop with resolution greater than 1366x768. What are my options?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
hello,

I need a 14" Laptop with resolution greater than 1366x768. What are my options?

13" would also do but good resolution is a must. Discrete graphic card not important at all.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Check Lenovo Flex 2-14 with FHD screen.
Lenovo Flex 2-14 Notebook (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win8.1/ Touch/ 2GB Graph) (59-429729) Rs.48690 Price in India - Buy Lenovo Flex 2-14 Notebook (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win8.1/ Touch/ 2GB Graph) (59-429729) Online - Lenovo : Flipkart.com

Also, fill the questionnaire :p
*www.digit.in/forum/laptops-netbooks/156722-questionnaire-laptop-notebook-purchase.html

That can range anywhere from a decent ultrabook under 80K(Dell Inspiron 13 734x) to Lenovo Yoga 3/X1 Carbon/Asus UX302LG......

$hadow

Geek in making
Budget input would have been much better. And if resolution is a big priority I would suggest MacBook.

Budget input would have been much better. And if resolution is a big priority I would suggest MacBook.

I think Macbooks are not alone in term of resolution(although I can't say about quality....the screen of Yoga 3 is not that great, and I can't recall any IGZO based laptop in India, unless (if)the thread starter prefers Fujitsu....)

$hadow

Geek in making
I think Macbooks are not alone in term of resolution(although I can't say about quality....the screen of Yoga 3 is not that great, and I can't recall any IGZO based laptop in India, unless (if)the thread starter prefers Fujitsu....)

I always support macbook when it comes to resolution demand. The certainly got one of the best if not the best of the resolution.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sadly it's all coming down to Macbook.

It is an absolute disgrace that laptop makers are only offering marginal improvement over 1024x768 which they offered 15 years back.

My budget was less than 60 thousand. But anyway it won't matter now. Already upgraded my 4 year old 14" HP g4 laptop with a SSD. I'll drag it for 2 more years and then get the only laptop which is worth buyting, Macbook Pro.

yes, seriously. If you actually work on your laptop then all laptops with 1366x768 screens are rejected. They are nothing more than movie watching toys.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!

It is an absolute disgrace that laptop makers are only offering marginal improvement over 1024x768 which they offered 15 years back.

My budget was less than 60 thousand. But anyway it won't matter now. Already upgraded my 4 year old 14" HP g4 laptop with a SSD. I'll drag it for 2 more years and then get the only laptop which is worth buyting, Macbook Pro.

yes, seriously. If you actually work on your laptop then all laptops with 1366x768 screens are rejected. They are nothing more than movie watching toys.

You could get XOTIC PC | FORCE 16GC (29-029) w/ 860M (MSI GE60 ApachePro Barebones) which should cost less than 65k including customs and shipping. Only downsides are it has 15.6" screen and no warranty.

Current macbooks are nothing but non-touchscreen tablets with keyboards and even more overpriced than they were before. That hardware is certainly not worth the price tag.

I don't know, maybe because consumers are not demanding for more ? Maybe because less resolution means less strain on components ? Or maybe we don't have much choice.
The first and last options seem to be correct. It is hard to find laptops with good screens in India, and many makers choose inferior screens for similar models here. My friend brought a G551 from Asus, and was surprised to receive a Full HD TN panel(the version being sold in US is fitted with an IPS by default).
Full HD should be a norm by now, but it isn't(heck, even cellphones are reaching 3K...4K..resolutions). The answer is in volumes. A person changes cellphone within two years, and for a laptop, it's like 4 years ? or maybe even more. This lack of demand discourages display makers to upgrade their manufacturing nodes, and thus we are seeing same 13xx series panel rolling out. Even now when we are seeing some exceptional pieces with 3K or 4K resolutions, their prices are astronomical, just because of a simple display.

Apple relies on volume alone, their "retina" panels are tried and tested,and people are going to buy them, just because it is Apple(personally, I did have a bad..very bad experience with their iPad Air2 screen).

Last edited:

Minion

Conversation Architect

Well you may go with dell 7000 series.They are very well built and does have very good display.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well you may go with dell 7000 series.They are very well built and does have very good display.
Thanks a lot. :) It does look great.

But now I think I will buy when Windows 10 comes out.

Thanks a lot. :) It does look great.

But now I think I will buy when Windows 10 comes out.

The time frame for windows 10 laptops arriving here will be anywhere from July to October.
I have to accept, 7000 series do have a great build and an exceptional display for asking price, just I disagree with processor choice, an ULV in a standard case.

Re: A 14" Laptop with resolution greater than 1366x768. What are my options?

Isn't W10 will be available for free who have W7 and W8? You can still buy a laptop now and update the OS later.

The problem is, most of the laptop manufacturers will not release drivers for Windows 10(atleast for the mid to low spectrum)....so technically, either one can go OEM route for drivers, or be content with Windows 8.1

Top Bottom