9 years old Dell laptop - how to improve with SSD?

parthi2929

Broken In
I have Dell Inspiron E1505 which is about 9 years old.. Its such a good laptop, it is still running today flawlessly without any major issues, except very short battery life..

It is Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD now running Win 7

But I have to admit, with modern bloated softwares and firmwares, I very often hit the wall, and my laptop simply cannot keep up..

I want to know if I can improve performance significantly with SSD upgrade.. Luckily the mother board looks like
supporting SSD, but limited to 1.5 Gbps..

> Chipset : Intel i945PM

>> General Information
NorthBridge : Intel i945PM
SouthBridge : 82801GBM (ICH7-M/U) LPC Interface Controller

Can somebody throw light on this.. I read in internet, that SSD improve performance only by about 50 % (thats with 6 Gbps), so I doubt is it really worthy with this configuration to go for SSD..

Currently thinking of this one...one of the cheapest..
ADATA Premier Pro SP600 64 GB Internal Hard Drive - ADATA: Flipkart.com

Advice please..

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Id recommend you give it away and get a new laptop.. The laptop doesnt even have a mSATA port nor does it support high speed data transfer for a SSD to work.. a good SSD will cost more than the total cost of the laptop itself

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
A SSD is definately going to speed up the system. Many experts believe that the best way to speed up an old computer is by installing a SSD.
IMO avoid ADATA. Go for brands like Crucial/Intel/Samsung etc. I think SSDs improve performance by upto 500% at least on a 6Gbps port.
IMO get a SSD now to improve performance and when you get a new system you can remove the SSD and install it on the new one to use it as a boot drive.
From my experience, I'll never go back too 5400RPM drive again.

OP
P

parthi2929

Broken In
I got it for 90k, 9 years back.. so dont want to ditch it...

ICH7-M supports SATA, and ultra mobile does not.. ICH7-M/U means ultra mobile?

hitesh

In the zone
First upgrade the RAM upto atleast 3gb.
And yes, definitely go SSD then. My choice would be Corsair or Samsung.
And get a 120/128gb ssd. They are around 1.5-2k costlier than 60/64 ones, but that IMO is totally worth it

OP
P

parthi2929

Broken In
My laptop max is only upto 2 GB RAM :-?

Anyways guys, thank you for suggestions, I finally went to a 500 GB SATA HDD as I could not convince myself if I would see any gain with SSD due to motherboard limitation (1.5 Gbps) :(

Top Bottom