[56k Warning]MaxOS X x86 on my Compaq presario, HURRAH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mario_pant

In the zone
dudz i am just using the mac osx 10.4.1 to post this post...
mac os x is really gr8... it is a dream come true...
i have a compaq presario P4 1.6 GHz willamete.... nVidia GeForce 5200 FX.... 512 MB ram.... a 40GB Maxtor disk.... and a WindowsXP/MacOSX dual boot screen....
wont say anything else... very excited to post the screenies....
so here u go.... (will just get them fresh...wait!)
*img380.imageshack.us/img380/8919/s26nx.jpg
hey... the colours are so rich that one 1024x768 screen is about 2MB.... so i'm just posting one crop with adjusted colours... would post screenies every now and then....

gauravsuneja

macaddict
nice to see u here i was searching for this only .i future may we all se pirated ma osx software in palika bazaar,nehrupalce and lamimgton road

Satissh S

Youngling
Hmm.. So is it possible to run MacOs(x) on X86.. Is it true that Mac Os(x) does not come as a stand alone product and that it comes only come as an upgrade. I saw in their site that ot costs 130$ for upgrade. Confusing... :roll:

gauravsuneja

macaddict
arre that mac osx is the mac ox tiger which r for real macs. these versions were released on torent sites an sites r there which give tutorial on how to install mac osx on pc

www.osx86project.org

post some more pics mario

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
hehehe... i had installed it on my dad's laptop too quite a while back.. frankly x86 os x is very choppy... nothing like the speed of the "real" PPC mac i am using :)

OP
mario_pant

mario_pant

In the zone
heheh.... lol.... i just happened to download the deadmoo's tiger-x86 image...... it is in bz2 format and is 1.2GB but when extracted it is a whoping 6.6GB!!!

Well i just install the maxxusss' 0.5 update and it has increased the speed a LOT and over that when in the darwin boot screen i type "platform=x86pc" this also switches of unneccessary services and now i'm getting the almost normal speed and that too WITHOUT SSE3!!!!
PS: a guy PMed me about sending him the DVD image and so i'm doing just that..... although i'm not paying ANYTHING for that!!! ;-)

PS

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
deadmoo's image.. yeah that was the one.. actually u wud feel it is fast.. but if u try a ppc mac.. nothing like that :p

also u cant update to 10.4.2 :p

G

gxsaurav

ofcourse it's slow, as it's being emulated

just wait for the real X86 MacOS X to come

OP
mario_pant

mario_pant

In the zone
as demanded, here are the screenies:

The dash boards showing 3 widgets:

*img180.imageshack.us/img180/9273/dashboard6hb.jpg

iCal:
*img131.imageshack.us/img131/4972/ical0xn.jpg

iTunes:
*img76.imageshack.us/img76/5986/itune2jl.jpg

diplay hardware:
*img176.imageshack.us/img176/7825/disp1tk.jpg

*imageshack.us/img/imageshack.png

OP
mario_pant

mario_pant

In the zone
ummm..... dude this IS the mac osx x86!!!!...... and dude i've used a real iBook G4 and i can assure u that the speed i'm getting is around 80% of that!

and yeah i know that we cant update to 10.4.3 but there is a patch which just updates the required files... the update is not detected by the sys but that patch makes this faster! :)

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
yes i know that is maxus' patch... all i want to say is that as it is a vmware image.. u wont get the real speeds.. i know people with a p4 3ghz and 1 gb ram who found it to be slow....

even on my papa's laptop it wasn't as snappy... also maxus' patch does not patch files... it merely emulates sse3 on ur sse2 processor... and just search for altivec/sse3 comparison and you will know what am talking about.

gauravsuneja

macaddict
looks that u guys know too much than me i thought only i was the one who was carzy about mac .btw what is the maxus patch(is it sumthing so that mac osx doen't check for g4-5 procesor) .anyway leeme know how u guys r connecting to internet so that ur getting 2.5 gb images.r all on t1 and i'm on dialup?

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
gauravsuneja said:
looks that u guys know too much than me i thought only i was the one who was carzy about mac .btw what is the maxus patch(is it sumthing so that mac osx doen't check for g4-5 procesor) .anyway leeme know how u guys r connecting to internet so that ur getting 2.5 gb images.r all on t1 and i'm on dialup?

Mac OS x86 requires SSE3-enabled processors to run Rosseta which converts PPC-binaries to universal ones. So software like iTunes etc simply won't run on non SSE3 processors.

The patch merely makes the stuff run on SSE2 processors although the apps aren't snappy

I am quoting an article from OSnews.com

*www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=3997&page=4

Auto-vetorisation also work the other way, The PowerPCs Altivec unit is very powerful and benchmarks which are vectorised for it can show a G4 outperforming a P4 by up to 3 1/2.

OP
mario_pant

mario_pant

In the zone
The patch merely makes the stuff run on SSE2 processors although the apps aren't snappy
mann... it has a speed fix too it removes some TPM kext or something..........

it is called the Maxxuss SSE3->SSE2 and Anti-TPM Patch
the TPM kext is something that continuosly searches sor the TPM component specifically found in the real dev machines.... it is kinda a resource hog... so by disabling it.. u get a descent speed boost!

quad master

In the zone
Can u give me the link to the Guide which u used for installing Mac OS X on x86 system.

Also will it work fine on both Intel & AMD 64.

Also whats in the filesystem for Mac & GB req for
installing.

Does the installer automatically format the space on
the selected HDD Partition.

Also which version of Mac OS did u install and what was the size of the package.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
mario_pant said:
mann... it has a speed fix too it removes some TPM kext or something..........

it is called the Maxxuss SSE3->SSE2 and Anti-TPM Patch
the TPM kext is something that continuosly searches sor the TPM component specifically found in the real dev machines.... it is kinda a resource hog... so by disabling it.. u get a descent speed boost!

i know.. i have installed it about 3 times on different machines :p

well it isnt an "actual" install.. it basically copies the vmware image exactly onto your partition.. including the boot sector.. using dd....

btw which ibook have u used? certainly i dunno any one which can be so slow :p

OP
mario_pant

mario_pant

In the zone
1.2 GB for the RAR file... and then 6.6 GB to extract it and onother 6 GB to dd it.... u do the math....

and here is the guide: *wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Install_On_A_Partition_Simple_And_Accurate

thats the one i used and it is working
USE WINGRUB!! never EVER use the windows loader!!

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
hay u were lucky... i am stucked in one stape... see here....

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16453&start=20

:cry: :cry: ... still trying... lets see what happens... :cry: :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom