512MB graphics cards debut

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
In a quest for bragging rights, both NVIDIA and ATI seem to suddenly be in a mad rush to be the first to integrate 512MB of memory on a consumer graphics card.

Technically NVIDIA struck first , specifically Gainward, with their Gainward CoolFX PowerPack! Ultra/2800PCX “Golden Sample�. The 2800 PCX GS is a PCI-E GeForce 6800 Ultra card with a 450MHz core clock, and 512MB of "carefully qualified" 1.2GHz GDDR3 memory, video-out, and dual DVI. The card also ships with a single-slot water cooler manufactured by Innovatek. The card will begin shipping at the end of next month, but price wasn't announced.

If the 2800 PCX GS is too expensive for you, Gainward will also be producing a lower cost 512MB card that swaps the water cooler with copper cooling, the Gainward PowerPack! Ultra/2800 PCX “Golden Sample�.

On the ATI front, their PR is more mum, only announcing that they will be showing off a 512MB gaming card at the Texas Gaming Festival this weekend. The VPU used isn't mentioned, nor is a potential release date and price, but this tidbit from the PR provides some clues: "Participating in events like this gives us the opportunity to find out what gamers want and need for competitive gaming," said Rich Heye, Vice President and GM, Desktop Discrete Products, ATI. "And to say thanks for supporting ATI, we are giving attendees at this event an opportunity to check out the world's first 512MB gaming cards before we send them out to our software partners for development of next-generation games."

It's pretty interesting to see the sudden interest both companies are taking in the rush to get to 512MB. It was not a well kept secret that ATI would be debuting a 512MB graphics card this weekend, members of the press that will be attending have known for weeks what would be occuring at TXGF. It was quite a surprise however to see Gainward's PR this morning. I have no doubt that NVIDIA didn't want to look flat-footed when ATI demonstrated 512MB graphics cards to the public this weekend, partnering with Gainward to deliver an even more extreme GeForce 6800 Ultra Extreme card.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Ok now i was lookin for a thread to relate this in.....well now Speakin of ATi And Nvidia.....Has anyone heard Of 3D Labs Wildcat Realism Gfx Cards.....Pretty High end Mfgs.....Here's a Look at Thier 512MB Vram Gddr3 Gfx Card The Wildcat Realism 200
*www.3dlabs.com/products/product.asp?prod=291&page=6

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
@tarey_g, if siggys are not allowed then you are not suppposed to use such tricks to put your siggy in.
and btw, this thread does not belong to general section

Sourabh

Laptoping
now can everyone put in image siggies??

y isnt his siggies removed??

man someone reported mines and it got ripped off from my siggy in just a few minutes :cry:

GNUrag y r u not removing his siggy??

tejesh

Broken In
Gr8 news!
I had posted a thread on 512 MB GDDR3 memory by Samsung & now the graphics card with the RAM. It can't get better than this!
Playing DOOM3 on the Ultra setting will be fun now. Frag on!

OP
tarey_g

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
GNUrag said:
@tarey_g, if siggys are not allowed then you are not suppposed to use such tricks to put your siggy in.
and btw, this thread does not belong to general section

forum sucks without siggis :evil:

OP
tarey_g

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Sourabh said:
tarey_g u just got reported by me for ur siggy

wonder how u were missed by the mods and admins :wink:

Grrrrrrrrrr.... :x :evil:

and one day they will remove avtaars too

G

gxsaurav

Ths just in from the inquirer

*www.theinquirer.net/?article=21476

NVIDIA NV48 is to be named NV45 & will be released with 512 MB RAM

G

gxsaurav

Yo guys, one thing U forgot that the 3Dlabs card is workstation card, made for making games, for making animation for movies, not for playing games, it even supports 16 GB virtual memory & is more like a VPU then a GPU

Take a look at the anandtech benchmark, for 3 gaming card & workstation cards, it performance really bad in gaming with both opengl & DirctX, but beats Quadro & FireGL in workstation tasks like 3D Animation

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
gxsaurav said:
Yo guys, one thing U forgot that the 3Dlabs card is workstation card, made for making games, for making animation for movies, not for playing games, it even supports 16 GB virtual memory & is more like a VPU then a GPU

Take a look at the anandtech benchmark, for 3 gaming card & workstation cards, it performance really bad in gaming with both opengl & DirctX, but beats Quadro & FireGL in workstation tasks like 3D Animation

Exactly the thing that i wanted to know....i was wondering how can a strong GPU (or as u said VPU) couldnt be reconginsed....so it had to be a workstation level mfg card....sheez now why didnt i think about it earlier.....Btw Gx just curios how much would this card be costin....if available here :?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom