500VA or 650VA UPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
blackpearl

blackpearl

The Devil
OK. I've decided to go for an 800VA UPS. Now there are 2 brands - Microtek and Numeric. Microtek has 2 batteries so almost double backup time, while Numeric has single battery but is microprocessor controlled and has a monitoring ability through software. Looks more sophisticated.

Which should I go for?

Expecting some quick replies. :)

ashfame

Padawan
Yeah go for Microtek!
Its good!
And there is a problem with the UPS that offers monitoring!
Sometimes a reverse current can flow to the port with which it is connected and damn there you go! LOTS OF PROBLEM
You should have a almost non-fluctuating power supply (impossible in INDIA:D:D)

assasin

Banned
i've a APC 500VA ups which is 3yrs old and it supports monitoring thru pc.i didnt hav any probs with that monitoring stuff.its working like a charm.

hitman050

Journeyman
I am also thinking of buying a UPS. Im confused now. APC is obviously the best brand, but are its prices worth it? Wont a 800VA Microtek UPS be better than a 500VA APC?

Also, is there any way that when the electricity goes off, and my PC is running from backup, it shut downs automatically?

assasin

Banned
hitman050 said:
Also, is there any way that when the electricity goes off, and my PC is running from backup, it shut downs automatically?

yeah u can do that only if ur ups supports monitoring thru pc

OP
blackpearl

blackpearl

The Devil
Now I'm more confused!!

Obviously, Microtek would give longer backup, but Numeric is a digital UPS whereas Microtek is an analog UPS. Which one will be more reliable?

Actually I have some very bad experiences with UPSes. Whichever I buy breaks down. :( :( So I want to be very cautious.

OP
blackpearl

blackpearl

The Devil
From 500va to 650va to 800va to finally 600va. I bought a 600va Numeric UPS today. You can call me crazy or indecisive. :p

The UPS is running fine and giving backup. I haven't tested the cold start capability till now since the battery is yet to be fully charged.

The UPS however did not came with the serial-port cable that is used to monitor its functioning. The seller told me it doesn't come with the cable nowdays, but I doubt that. I will have to confirm that. Anyway, I want to know what type of cable Numeric UPSes uses, I mean the port present in the UPS is serial. Will I have to connect it to the serial port of my PC or can I connect it to a USB port too? That is, will I need a serial-to-serial cable (not available) or a serial-to-USB cable (available) will do?

ashnik

Ambassador of Buzz
Numerics don't come with serial ports, and if i'm not wrong they don't have lan ports too.
Tha's why I bought PCM 1KVA 1.5 yr ago...about 4.4K
Still going fine..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom