4K TV within 40K ? Anything Available ?

vishk

Journeyman
Hi Guys,

I need some help buying a TV. I have set out to buy a TV and I t is after a long time, a period of 20 years that I am planning to buy a TV trying to update from the old CRT TV. Having said that I still do not have a very extravagant and lavish budget to buy a TV, So I believe to begin with 43 inches is what an ideal TV should be? Or should I be going even higher in the display size ? the viewing distance from my TV to the place from where I am gonna be watching this TV is going to be 10 feet so I don’t think for a area more than 10 feet you need anything more than 43 inches I believe that would be sufficient ? Would it be not? Please correct me if I’m wrong?

Secondly my budget is starting from 20-40K. Ideally I would like to have all the features available in today’s modern generation TV, which is connect to set up box like Apple TV, Amazon Fire stick etc…I don’t know if I can get a 4K display in this if I have to look out for 4K display, what is the budget that I should have?

And if Not 4K Display what Resolution TV would I get in the above range ?

Can I get a 4K display in this budget?

Please suggest?

Thanks

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I do not know the current market models but I can give some basic pointers and suggestions.

4K is possible in your budget.

What is the current size of your TV? Considering it is an old CRT TV, it will not be bigger than 43", this size is an upgrade. But imo, 43 inches is small for a distance of 10ft. Go for 50 inches if not above.

You did not mention what quality you will be watching on the TV. Is your setup box HD? if yes, then going for 4K resolution is worth. Otherwise stick to FHD TV and below 50 inch size.

40K is decent budget for 50 inch 4K TV. Try to get the demo of VU. Hisense is another brand which has good feature set and cheaper than VU, but VU seem to have better service. You can check online which service center brand is available in your city. Note: VU was using Hisense panel earlier, not sure if its the same case.

Regular LG, Samsung are also available in your budget, a bit expensive than others, but compare the picture quality in showroom at least once against Vu/Hisense if deciding to go with LG/Samsung.

Sony is really expensive, you will get 43 inch Sony in your budget but not 50inches. If you are getting some good deal, make sure the model is only 1-2 years old at max and you are getting all the features you want.

OP
V

vishk

Journeyman
I do not know the current market models but I can give some basic pointers and suggestions.

4K is possible in your budget.

What is the current size of your TV? Considering it is an old CRT TV, it will not be bigger than 43", this size is an upgrade. But imo, 43 inches is small for a distance of 10ft. Go for 50 inches if not above.

You did not mention what quality you will be watching on the TV. Is your setup box HD? if yes, then going for 4K resolution is worth. Otherwise stick to FHD TV and below 50 inch size.

40K is decent budget for 50 inch 4K TV. Try to get the demo of VU. Hisense is another brand which has good feature set and cheaper than VU, but VU seem to have better service. You can check online which service center brand is available in your city. Note: VU was using Hisense panel earlier, not sure if its the same case.

Regular LG, Samsung are also available in your budget, a bit expensive than others, but compare the picture quality in showroom at least once against Vu/Hisense if deciding to go with LG/Samsung.

Sony is really expensive, you will get 43 inch Sony in your budget but not 50inches. If you are getting some good deal, make sure the model is only 1-2 years old at max and you are getting all the features you want.
Yes even I was doing some research and came across this information that for viewing distance of 10 Feet 43" would be a little smaller. That article suggested for 10 feet going 55" and upwards. When I talk about set top box I meant something like Apple TV and Amazon Firestick, the regular TV channels will be provided by the cable operator so I don't know if I will get 4K there. But man 4K TV range in Sony, Samsung,LG is easily 50K and above that too for the size I am looking for which is 55" and above is going to break my bank balance

I am ready to explore into VU and Hi-Sense but do they offer a good after sales warranty and service ? And how is the image, picture quality of VU and Hi-Sense ?

Last edited:

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Vu seem to be popular, even some forum members have bought it in the past because of decent after sales service, which comes after big players like Sony Samsung LG. You need to check which brand has service center in your city.

I would say you will find much difference between Samsung and VU picture quality.

How is your seating arrangement?
If you are sitting directly in front of TV then you can go with VA panel(Samsung,Vu) which gives good contrast.
What you should specifically checking is how these VA panel handle reflection(considering windows and lights in your house) and how much of picture quality is compromised when moving towards other angles from 90 degrees.
LG has IPS panels which handles better reflection and viewing angles better but backlight bleeding, IPS glow and poor contrast.

Lets wait for other members to come with suggestions on specific models, that will help you more than my generic advice.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I have a ~43" 1080p TV and my eyes are barely 6-7 feet away from it. Ideally I can get an up to 55" TV and it'd be fine. For >=10 feet, 55" is the minimum one should get IMO. If it has HDMI, it will be able to connect to all "smart boxes".

You should get 55", it might feel too big initially but the immersive experience will be worth it.

Samsung/LG 55" 4K entry level models were 45k last year in BBD/GIS of Flipkart/amazon.

Else Vu/Redmi/Hisense are my recommendations from budget brands. Their 55" 4K is usually under 35k, will be even cheaper in upcoming sale.

IMO wait for sale & buy from amazon. FK is scamming a lot of consumers & has shit after sale support. It took me 1 month to get refund of an undelivered phone almost 3 years back. Situation is far worse now, check r/IndianGaming.

OP
V

vishk

Journeyman
Vu seem to be popular, even some forum members have bought it in the past because of decent after sales service, which comes after big players like Sony Samsung LG. You need to check which brand has service center in your city.

I would say you will find much difference between Samsung and VU picture quality.

How is your seating arrangement?
If you are sitting directly in front of TV then you can go with VA panel(Samsung,Vu) which gives good contrast.
What you should specifically checking is how these VA panel handle reflection(considering windows and lights in your house) and how much of picture quality is compromised when moving towards other angles from 90 degrees.
LG has IPS panels which handles better reflection and viewing angles better but backlight bleeding, IPS glow and poor contrast.

Lets wait for other members to come with suggestions on specific models, that will help you more than my generic advice.

I am a big fan of IPS Displays as I us a lot of Apple devices, not sure if I would like a VA Panel TV ? So how is the Display of VU when compared to LG and Samsung which predominantly use OLED Panels ? Inferior ?

I am a big fan of IPS Displays as I us a lot of Apple devices, not sure if I would like a VA Panel TV ? So how is the Display of VU when compared to LG and Samsung which predominantly use OLED Panels ? Inferior ?
Why are you comparing OLED to budget IPS & VA?

Hisense U7K has 240 FALD zones for a 55k TV, which is great. LG A2 48" can potentially fall to 60k on sale, 70k on amazon already.

OLEDs are the best panel, unless your room is very bright, something like this, in which case stick to LCD (VA or IPS) as those have higher sustained brightness:
1695815314681.png

Even the cheap Vu 4K TV has a sustained 100% brightness close to 400nits, whereas its closer to 150-200nits for OLED at 100% window size. So it will be difficult overpower the light in the bright room.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Yes, OP, do not compare with OLEDs since its out of your budget. Vu and Samsung has good brightness to fight reflections but compare them yourself in the store. Use your phone's flash to get basic idea of TVs will handle reflections. Dont rely on showroom's lights, they are arranged in such way to make TV and picture quality look great.

IPS panels from LG are good, but IPS glow and backlight bleeding in dark scenes are turn offs, at least for me(I have LG UP80 55"), since I like to watch horror series/movies where dark scenes are very common. I am mentioning all this to give you a user perspective on how to decide which panel will be good in your surroundings for your TV shows or movies.

Hisense U series mentioned above is definitely a great TV for its price, next to it is A series which falls in your budget.

OP
V

vishk

Journeyman
What is a likely price Hi-Sense U7K would drop to in Amazon Great Indian Sale ? It is right now at 55K

What is a likely price Hi-Sense U7K would drop to in Amazon Great Indian Sale ? It is right now at 55K
I expect no drop. 55" 4K with 240 FALD zones is very good hardware-wise. You might get some 2k off with card offers, that's all. Even 75-80k TVs like Samsung Frame has no FALD zones.

IMO better to pre-book it to get 4 year warranty + Fire Stick 4K included. OS is not android.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Yes OP I will also suggest the same, latest model. Last year wasn't anything special that you need to consider it instead of latest model.
Are you going to use external speaker with your TV? If not, enquire about A7K also since it comes with slightly better speaker than A6K.
Check the picture quality and sound by playing some video clip of your favorite shows. Do not rely on UHD youtube videos to judge picture quality.

OP
V

vishk

Journeyman
Whatever is the newest, A6K, I think. I don't think anything major has changed in them in the last 2 years.

is A6 the latest model or A7 ? There is a A7 model also so should that be not the latest ? Or do they work in ascending format ?

Top Bottom