30mbps broadband for youtube on TV enough

Jim Kirk

Broken In
I have 30 mbps siti broadband. I use it to run youtube on TV mostly. During the day, my family members use it to surf internet on pc and mobiles. at most, 3 devices are connected simultaneously. but when I even use it only on TV to play youtube, sometimes there is lag and buffering issue. I asked the operator to fix this. they told 30mbps is not enough. you must upgrade to 50 or 100 mbps. I sense some doubt and greed of operator. M I thinking right?

quicky008

Technomancer
30 Mbps is high enough for watching youtube videos,provided not more than 2-3 devices are sharing the bandwidth at the same time.Your operator's suggestion to go for 50/100 mbps connection to get a better experience just for youtube videos would be an overkill and unnecessary. Run a speedtest of your connection and check whether you are getting the full 30 mbps speed as claimed by the operator or much lower speeds-buffering is usually caused due to a slow internet connection,but with a proper 30mbps connection,it should not be an issue.

OP
Jim Kirk

Jim Kirk

Broken In
I checked it with 5ghz setting. I got full speed of 30 mbps but with 2.4ghz, there is sudden speed drop and it comes to 5 mbps or so. Also, my tv does not have 5 ghz wifi reciver, it seems that why i am getting buffering for youtube on tv.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Yes, TV might not support 5ghz. As a solution you can run an ethernet cable between your router and TV. Best solution.

I used airtel 40Mbps for 1.5 years, it is enough for most people IMO unless you are into 4K video streaming. You have to check if you are getting consistent 30Mbps, use something like bufferbloat to test the connection. Issue can be the router as well. I have observed inconsistent speeds or high packet loss or high latency or all of the above in small providers, like you broadband, hathway, excitel, etc. I use ACT now.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Broadband provider router sucks. Get a new router with atleast dual band. Connect them using a small LAN cable. You are gucci!

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Your router might have channel width setting for 2.4Ghz band. It could be 20/40/Auto. Try setting it to 40 and check again

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
More than enough. but I used LAN with my TV as with wifi there's always packet drop etc but with wired connection there's no issues at all

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tv's wifi may be crap / for some reason not getting enough signal. I faced similar issue with even Fire Tv Stick and eventually opted for ethernet adaptor.

Top Bottom