3 issues - heating, memory and optical drive issue

sly_arnie

Broken In
Hello fellow brothers

There are 3 issues I would like to talk to you about so please bear with me

I have an old 5-6 year old Intel p4 desktop with D101ggc motherboard. For sometime now there is a loud humming/whizzing sound emanating from my pc. My psu is corsair and it does not emit sound. I think my processor fan is making this noise but I am not sure about it. Whenever the number of concurrent activities increases and processor has to do more work the sound begins. When the pc is on for a long time the sound starts. When I vaccum my cabinet to get rid of the accumulated dust the noise dies down a bit (but not completely) only to start again in a week. The temperature shown in the bois starts at 60 deg C with processor fans speed at 3200 rpm and in couple of hour reaches 75-80 deg celsius with fan speed reaching 4500 rmp. I called a computer vendor and he was not sure. To bring the temp of the processor down he put thermal paste in the heat sink of the processor. He said some of the capacitors on the motherboard were swollen, so he replaced them. But the noise still refuses to die down. There are 3 fans in my cabinet. PSU fan, processor fan and an additional small fan. My pc is not kept in an air conditioned room. I am not sure what to do so that the noise dies down.

My motherboard support max of 2gb sdram (ddr) ram. It has 2 channels for memory. One has 1 gb mem module and other had 512 mb mem module. Some time back my 512 mb transcent mem module got damaged. This was purchased in year 2006. It says on the mem module that this ram is covered under lifetime warranty. When I tried to reach the transcent customer care they forwarded me the contact details of dealers. I tried to reach them many times via phone and email but they did not acknowledge. My question is: Is there a possibility of transcent replacing my DDR ram or should I get for new Ram. In case I go for new one should I again go for transcent as there are no other companies that manufacture ddr ram?:-x

Finally, my internal sony dvd writer conked out last week when I was burning a dvd. Can you suggest a good dvd writer? Should I go for internal or external dvd writer?:-x

I know I should probably go for a new system but this system is working fine apart from minor hiccups. Thanks for reading this long post :wink:and please forward your views on the 3 issues mentioned above.

Regards,
sly_arnie

CPU noise:

> you can lubricate the CPU cooling fan by removing it's sticker (which has Intel logo), removing the small rubber thing and pouring 3-4 drops of sewing machine oil.

> Clean the heat sink and fan blades too too as dirt causes disturbances in air-flow which causes noise.

RAM:

> If the ram has warranty, you should directly submit the ram at a service center. Contact Transcend and ask them the location of service center in your locaity.

Optical drive:

> If your motherboard has SATA ports, you can get Asus optical drive from market. If there is not SATA port, you'll have to find a used IDE drive or a SATA to IDE converter.

quicky008

Technomancer
You may consider replacing your aging HSF with a new one that's compatible with your CPU-they are widely available in the market and are pretty inexpensive too-it may also increase the cooling performance to some extent.Here's one i found on ebay:

INTEL SOCKET LGA 775 CPU FAN+THERMAL COMPUND+Heatsink | eBay

Top Bottom