2X256MB RAM or 512MB RAM???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahesh Babu

Journeyman
Sorry for all the confusion created by me

U shud go for 1 x 512MB RAM as your motherboard does not support dual channel.

Now i will tell u about Dual channel effect.

If u have a processor with with 400Mhz FSB and lets say u have got one stick of 256MB(400Mhz) RAM ,then the processor will run at 200MHz FSB only.If u add one more similar 256MB(400Mhz) RAM then your processor will run at 400Mhz FSB thus u will get large peroformance boost if u utilise dual channel.

Sorry that u dont have dual channel mobo.

Mahesh Babu

Journeyman
Since your MOBO doesnt support dual channel just buy 1 piece of 512MB RAM(400Mhz) .But u will not be able to utilize all the bandwidth.i.e. your processor will run at 200Mhz.To double the bandwidth u must utilise dual channel which u don't have.

mohit

The Hardware Labs
@Aseem Nasnodkar
hey which procc are u using ? what is the fsb of your procc ? if u r using a 400 mhz pentium 4 and planning to buy ddr400 ram then no need to go for dual channel.

if u r using a 533/800 mhz procc then dual channel will be of help as it will increase the system memory's peak bandwidth to be equal or greater than the processor's peak bandwidth. it is always advisable to go for system memory having peak bandiwdth greater than or equal to the procc's peak bandwidth as there will be no bottlenecks then.

check these links out to clear all your doubts,
*www.kingston.com/newtech/MKF_520DDRWhitepaper.pdf
*www.pctechguide.com/03memory_Dual-channel_DDR.htm

OP
A

Aseem Nasnodkar

In the zone
MY processor FSB is 100MHz and is the same set in BIOS.
RAM frequency is 266MHz......... working at 133MHz since no dual channel support by mobo.

Mahesh Babu

Journeyman
It will display the options like 100Mhz,133Mhz,166Mhz, etc.. If there is no option then u cant do anything.Then u have to use overclocking utilities to increase FSB .Or else upgrade to a dual channel motherboard with two sticks of 400Mhz RAM and configure RAM in dual channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom