2TB WD Black internal HDD showing "current pending sector = 3". wht can be done?

Alive_Hunter

In the zone
My 2TB WD Black internal HDD showing "current pending sector = 3".
This a year old HDD. My system is not booting properly .. asking to restore OS (win7).

Please guide me resolve the issue.

Should I format the HDD and reinstall the OS .. will this help?
error_image.jpg

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is a bit worrisome but all other values seem fine.Run chkdsk /r command in command prompt windows as admin(not the same as login as admin & then running cmd) which may trigger pending sector operation to finish reducing its value to zero again.

Sill,take a backup of your essential data on this hdd.

OP
A

Alive_Hunter

In the zone
It is a bit worrisome but all other values seem fine.Run chkdsk /r command in command prompt windows as admin(not the same as login as admin & then running cmd) which may trigger pending sector operation to finish reducing its value to zero again.

Sill,take a backup of your essential data on this hdd.

Thanks.. will try doing that today ..
will post the update .. :)

ezio16

Journeyman
I ran chkdsk on my 2 TB WD Passport and it was running for nearly a day.
As it failed first saying not enough free space to correct the errors, freed half of the disk and started again.

After a whole day of waiting, cmd completed the disk check and gave the final message as 'Bad sectors have been repaired and added to Bad sector list' (Missed to take a screenshot of that). Still the 'Current pending sector' Caution is being shown in CrystalDiskInfo and I think we can't do anything about it.
Just have to be using the Drive cautiously till it decides to die.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
CHKDSK does not practically repair bad sectors. It just marks them 'Bad' so that OS ignores them. Hence the warning shall remain. Basically if more bad sectors do not develop over time you could continue to use the disk as usual even with that warning.

There are third party tools like HDD Regenerator that claim to be capable of actually recovering Bad sectors and magnetically change them back to Good. It's paid software and I do not have any personal experience in using the same. Just an informative comment if you really wish to give it a try.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
No point in wasting money on programs like hdd regenerator,better spend it on buying a new hdd or cloud backup service.

Top Bottom