2nd hand cards worth it?

Rohan Rathi

Mega Noob
I'm getting a second hand Zotac GTX 1080 for 32k. Is it a good deal? Owner says the card has a warranty of 4.4 years left. I'm not sure if it's transferable though.

OP
R

Rohan Rathi

Mega Noob
This is the image the seller sent: Imgur
Don't know if mining rig or click in his cabinet...

Unless that 1080 was used for mining crypto 24*7, it can be a great option.
Will I have some warranty problem later on? Does zotac have service centers in India?

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
A quick google search and the language used in Zotac website, Warranty is not transferable.

"Warranty claims during the extended warranty period must be filed by the original purchaser of the ZOTAC product who has duly registered for product warranty services online in accordance with paragraph 3 above."

Link-*www.zotac.com/lk/page/product-warranty-policy

Any 2nd owners of Zotac graphics cards should be able to verify this.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
So, is it worth risking to buy this card? I may be able to reduce the asking price a bit..
Your call. 32k is not a small amount. I personally won't buy a graphics card without warranty.

Where are you buying from ? Do you know the seller personally ? also why is he selling ? These are important things to consider.

If warranty doesn't apply and your card stops working, the seller wont give you back your money for sure. Beware of frauds. Be extra careful.

icebags

Technomancer
unlike cpus, gpu cards have a very limited lifespan. my midrange cards mostly pulled around 4 years, just with moderate to heavy gaming. so, i will always advice against it.

quicky008

Technomancer
i think the service centers will have no way of knowing whether the user who's sending the card for replacement is the original owner or a second hand buyer,unless someone mentions it explicitly-but its hard to say this with any degree of certainty without any practical experience in this regard.

If you're comfortable spending 32k and can afford to buy a new card if it dies 2-3 years down the line(assuming that you wont be able to claim warranty),then you may go ahead and get it.Zotac's high end cards appear to be quite robust in general and dont tend to fail much,unless they have been misused in some way or another(such as by mining cryptocurrency).

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Is It Safe to Buy Used GPUs From Cryptocurrency Miners?

He fails to mention that GPU boards have capacitors and all capacitors have an age even if they are solid caps. Also biased in that the writer is from a cold country with lower temperatures. Also I think developed countries usually get higher binned chips than developing countries.

Last edited:
Top Bottom